Writer's Thread for Writers!

I had been trawling across the community (a common occurrence, I might say, even though my studies are telling me to do otherwise) when I had this idea of making a thread for writers, by writers.

What would be on it, you ask?

It would about our opinions and thoughts as writers - from the pros to the cons, to what you find annoying or fun, or even just releasing pent-up stress after trying (and failing) to write for the next chapter. Of course, there would be some rules in this, which is as follows:

1) To post on this thread, you must be a writer for a story in this website. (Duh.)

2) You can post as many times as you'd like, as long as the previous poster is not you. (So, no spamming, people.)

3) Anything is fine - as long as it won't be offensive for anyone. Thus, keep hurtful remarks to yourselves. No flame wars. No self-advertisement as well - there are sigs for that, right?

4) The post can be as witty or humorous or even a short story if you'd like - I don't care what you post, as long as it's related about being a writer. In fact, be creative! After all, writers are writers.

5) In this thread, everyone is equal. So, nobody is going to be on a pedestal here - popular or not, it's you as a writer we are talking about, not your stories. Don't come to this thread fishing for compliments.

Now then, I shall start this thread of mine with the Sturgeon's Law.

"In writing, 90% of everything is crud."
"Oh, I fear being a cynic, of being one to forget the goodness in others."

Rules to Writer's Thread.

POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!
A Fool's Errand

RE: Writer's Thread for Writers!

But I like pedestals... haha.

What I really hate is when people continuously tell me "show, don't tell" and have no idea what it means. Background information does not have to be "shown" if it's common knowledge to everyone in your fictional world.

Yesterday, I published a chapter of Eterna's Source, and I didn't get any new reviews, which made me sad. Well, I got a couple of reviews on FictionPress, but not here.

'unice5656' pid='316187' dateline='1440470143' Wrote: What I really hate is when people continuously tell me "show, don't tell" and have no idea what it means. Background information does not have to be "shown" if it's common knowledge to everyone in your fictional world.

I saw that, haha. (I just shook my head).

'readerdreamer5625' pid='316261' dateline='1440476917' Wrote: Haha, I sympathize with you all.

Since we're speaking of what we hate... hmmm, how about liberal overuse or lack of use of the verb 'said'?

That one doesn't bug me too much. It's preferable but at the same time some of the authors make the way they tag their speeches work. Or I could have been brainwashed into not being bothered by various translators.

How do you guys deal with the lack of comments whenever a new chapter was posted ? Are your motivation level in proportion to the amount of comments you have ?
I don't know how others can get a bunch of comments like they did. Whenever i tried my best for a chapter, it's a little sad to see nothing more than some little "Thanks for the chapters" by random chaps. A bona fide motivation killer.

'forgiuse' pid='316339' dateline='1440484530' Wrote: How do you guys deal with the lack of comments whenever a new chapter was posted ? Are your motivation level in proportion to the amount of comments you have ?
I don't know how others can get a bunch of comments like they did. Whenever i tried my best for a chapter, it's a little sad to see nothing more than some little "Thanks for the chapters" by random chaps. A bona fide motivation killer.

Well, I don't know about the others, but I just try to think positive about it.

"In time, people would realize my efforts. Then, the applause shall come my way."

All writers would come across that situation one way or another at some point in their lives after all. And if it's not enough, then just be thankful that at least there are no flames that are heading your way. Silence is hurtful, but pointed barbs hurt all the more.

Next pet peeve: Chapters that go nowhere in terms of plot. Especially when it's consecutive.

POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!
A Fool's Errand

'readerdreamer5625' pid='316348' dateline='1440485528' Wrote: Well, I don't know about the others, but I just try to think positive about it.

"In time, people would realize my efforts. Then, the applause shall come my way."

All writers would come across that situation one way or another at some point in their lives after all. And if it's not enough, then just be thankful that at least there are no flames that are heading your way. Silence is hurtful, but pointed barbs hurt all the more.

Thanks for your advice. Though a little flame could be more helpful than a bunch of silence, because i think even though the flame may fueled by hate (which i still prefer more than completely ignorance), there could be some grain of truth within them :D. After all, one must see things from both side in order to know the truth, and there can only be things only haters are capable of seeing :D.

'readerdreamer5625' pid='316348' dateline='1440485528' Wrote: Next pet peeve: Chapters that go nowhere in terms of plot. Especially when it's consecutive.

It's not as bad as it sounds. Certain events like comic-relief or character interaction may prove to be undesireable, but it could help the readers leave out some steam from the main storyline. On the consecutive part, it could help create suspense from what is happening, though only skillful hands are capable of pulling this, since one may screw things up if they did this wrong (like switching into the POV of a couple in the middle of flirting while the main plotline is about a friggin bloodbath war).

I'm alright with breather chapters - in fact, I love them!

What I hate about it is when it gets too much - where the breather 'chapter' turns into a full-blown arc where absolutely nothing happens. And sometimes, said arc is never even mentioned afterwards, which is really a sad thing as sometimes even jokes from breather chapters can be recycled as a future plot point...

POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!
A Fool's Errand

'readerdreamer5625' pid='316395' dateline='1440490492' Wrote: I'm alright with breather chapters - in fact, I love them!

What I hate about it is when it gets too much - where the breather 'chapter' turns into a full-blown arc where absolutely nothing happens. And sometimes, said arc is never even mentioned afterwards, which is really a sad thing as sometimes even jokes from breather chapters can be recycled as a future plot point...

I guess that really depends on a writer's skill, afterall :D.

Anyway, this thread is ideal for a writer's chatting topic. If a mod can see this post, do you think you could pin this topic in the General or Discussion forum and make it the official topic for writers who want to have a place for chatting ? Since i guess there're some who are not very fond of the chat function, like me.

What do you guys think about this ?

'forgiuse' pid='316414' dateline='1440491866' Wrote: What do you guys think about this ?

I don't know, really. I'll try asking Wing later about it.

Alright! Time to stop with the cons - let's move with the pros!

As a writer, I love being the kind of person who could sit all day on the chair or lounge around the bed, and still be able to claim that I'm 'working'!

POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!
A Fool's Errand

@forgiuse:

If you want more comments, you could try asking for them in author's notes at the end of your chapter. I get a lot of comments by asking for them repeatedly. I decided not to do that for Eterna's Source, and look where it got me...
Some readers like to participate if you let them know it's welcome. Haha, some readers will even give me incredibly detailed plot/character ideas that I then proceed to mostly ignore.

I don't think this thread is going to get pinned. The entire Writing Tips & Discussion forum is for writers and topics like this.

'unice5656' pid='316713' dateline='1440508770' Wrote: @forgiuse:

If you want more comments, you could try asking for them in author's notes at the end of your chapter. I get a lot of comments by asking for them repeatedly. I decided not to do that for Eterna's Source, and look where it got me...
Some readers like to participate if you let them know it's welcome. Haha, some readers will even give me incredibly detailed plot/character ideas that I then proceed to mostly ignore.

I don't think this thread is going to get pinned. The entire Writing Tips & Discussion forum is for writers and topics like this.

Thank you. I tried asking for comments sometime, but it seems i'm being too subtle for courteous sake. I guess i'll just be more direct the next time :D.
Anyway, what i mean is a topic that wasn't bounded in one shot, a type of general thread that could act as a chatting place for people to come visit. A topic where you can go in and said "today my story is ABC" or "What do you think about this XYZ problem we writers always have ?" and converse with others about it. If the Discussion forum is no good then is it fine if a topic like this takes domain in the General forum ? :D

'HiDrangeA' pid='316760' dateline='1440512889' Wrote: I'm generally curious since I don't read too much other fiction on this site but what's the average number of comments you guys get?

Also another pet peeve is 'thanks for the chapter', while I appreciate that they enjoy it I have never seen a more useless and unconstructive comment.

At most, I get around seven comments per chapter at my current rate... which is sad, considering that three or four of them are the usual bot-like "Thanks for the chapter!" comments.

I won't say that I hate them - it's just that sometimes (alright, always) I think that I would be happier if my readers actually think about what they post. Sometimes, I don't even know whether I'm doing something wrong or not!

But alas, I shall express my current frustrations in a piece!

White Space

Here I am, trapped in a room of white.
Nothing to feel, nothing in sight.
Words can't describe the feeling
But nevertheless it leaves me reeling,

For the white space is in my mind,
A wall I cannot leave behind...

I. HATE. WRITER'S. BLOCK.

POWER OF FRIENDSHIP!
A Fool's Errand