Practical Coding Tags & Usage Guide - A Compilation

So it’s come to my attention that some people might want a little flare in their stories. Others might want to make their signatures POP. In any event, this is meant to be a practical guide on how to use many of the formatting tags in the header bar you see above the reply text-box, especially if you wish to use them in another word processor outside of RRL. Feel free to post any questions or other formatting options I may have missed.

*If you are looking for a specific term, I suggest using ctrl+f as the document can be a bit of an information overload.

The Basics
Forums such as this one utilize something called BBcode (bulletin board code) to convert specific text phrases, or tags, into formatted text upon posting. The effects range from changing a text font to embedding images https://wallpapercave.com/wp/65PYQGW.png directly into your post. What most of these have in common is that each has an opening tag [] paired with a closing tag [/] with the exception of the horizontal rule “hr” which is exhibited by the solid lines you see dividing my post.

The following will show both the use of each BBcode along with a practical example.

Bold, Italics, Underline, & Strike-through

The basic text effects are useful for emphasis in your writing and the first three also have the keyboard shortcuts of ctrl+b, ctrl+i, and ctrl+u.
Code:
[b]Bold[/b]
[i]Italics[/i]
[u]Underline[/u]
[s]Strikethrough[/s]

Yields
Bold
Italics
Underline
Strikethrough

The next section addresses fonts, font size, and font color. I have yet to figure out how to properly use the “Remove Formatting” button, however.

Text font is set to the current one you are reading by default. The following are the currently available texts:

Arial
Arial Black
Comic Sans
Courier New
Georgia
Impact
Sans-serif
Serif
Times New Roman
Trebuchet MS
Verdana
Code:
[font=Arial]Arial[/font]
[font=Arial Black]Arial Black[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Comic Sans[/font]
[font=Courier New]Courier New[/font]
[font=Georgia]Georgia[/font]
[font=Impact]Impact[/font]
[font=Sans-serif]Sans-serif[/font]
[font=Serif]Serif[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]Times New Roman[/font]
[font=Trebuchet MS]Trebuchet MS[/font]
[font=Verdana]Verdana[/font]

Font sizes have a total of seven options, including the default size.
123 - Default -
Code:
[size=xx-small]1[/size]
[size=x-small]2[/size]
[size=small]3[/size] - Default -
[size=medium]4[/size]
[size=large]5[/size]
[size=x-large]6[/size]
[size=xx-large]7[/size]

You can also make your text colored with hexadecimal codes which can be selected either by knowing the codes or picking from the provided color pallet.
White
Some sort of blue
More color
Code:
[color=#ffffff]White[/color]
[color=#3333ff]Some sort of blue[/color]
[color=#00ff00]More color[/color]

Specific color codes may be found here and here. If you want more, I suggest looking them up.

Now for text alignments. You have the option of left (default), center, right, or justified (like a news column). Additionally, you can also indent with "tab"

Left Alignment

Center Alignment

Right Alignment

This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified.
Code:
[align=left]Left Alignment[/align]

[align=center]Center Alignment[/align]

[align=right]Right Alignment[/align]

[align=justify]This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified. This is justified.[/align]

You can use the "tab" code to indent.
Code:
[tab]You can use the "tab" code to indent.[/tab]

Also, the "center" tag may be used in place of the prior alignment code. "center" works on tables.
Code:
[align=center]Also, the "center" tag may be used in place of the prior alignment code. "center" works on tables.[/align]

Moving on, there are bulletted, numbered, and an unlisted lettered lists.

Bulletted

Numbered

1. 1

2. 2

3. 3

Letter**

1. 1

2. 2

3. 3

Code:
Bulletted
[list]
[*]1
[*]2
[*]3
[/list]

Numbered
[list=1]
[*]1
[*]2
[*]3
[/list]

Letter
[list=A]
[*]1
[*]2
[*]3
[/list]

The lettered list in particular is not in the drop down options and must be manually formatted as shown above.

The next section of the header bar contains ¶ (horizontal rule), image embed, video embed, email embed, link, and unlink. I am unsure how the unlink button functions. As previously mentioned, the horizontal rule is being used to divide this document and uses the tag “hr”.

https://s13.postimg.org/oovtze8yr/TWEWY_...1438414349
[youreplay]https://youtu.be/7l6FvEmRKFM[/youreplay]
[email protected] is meant to automatically open whatever email usage app you have. This is an invalid email so don't worry if clicking it doesn't work.
Link
Code:
[img]http://s13.postimg.org/oovtze8yr/TWEWY_scan_dragon_100x100.jpg?dateline=1438414349[/img]
[youreplay]https://youtu.be/7l6FvEmRKFM[/youreplay]
[[email protected]][email protected][/email]
[url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link_(The_Legend_of_Zelda)]Link[/url]

As for the video embeds, it is best to use the button rather than manually code that. It allows for Dailymotion, Facebook, LiveLeak, MetaCafe, Veoh, Vimeo, and Youtube videos.

List of working video embeds

• Dailymotion

• Veoh

• Vimeo

• Youtube

An additional note on the images, you can manually resize them in the tag display by inserting a dimension into it.
https://s13.postimg.org/oovtze8yr/TWEWY_...1438414349
Code:
[img=15x15]http://s13.postimg.org/oovtze8yr/TWEWY_scan_dragon_100x100.jpg?dateline=1438414349[/img]

The second to last section deals with the “code” tag which I have been using to display the coded text and allows you to display text without any of the BBcode activating. The “quote” tag lets you make quote boxes; hitting reply on a post singles out that specific post to quote and provides a source link. The middle button, “php”, let’s you use php code, if you know how to use it. I surely don’t.

Putting the “code” tag within itself doesn’t work, due to the nature of the tag pairing. It recognizes the first matching pair and leaves the rest, often messing up the rest of your formatting from there on.

As for the quote, when you reply to a post, it automatically quotes that post and adds the name, post ID, and date stamp to it. You can even limit this if you’d like by simply removing one or more pieces from it.
'Wing' Wrote: Penguins are cool!
Vs.
Quote:Penguins are cool!
Code:
[quote='Wing']Penguins are cool![/quote]
Vs.
[quote]Penguins are cool![/quote]

The final two buttons on the post box header are the text-box expansion and the code view changer.

The first is self explanatory and expands your textbox to fit your window. The last allows you to change between BBcode view and post view.

Tables and Windows

For non-manual writers out there, I suggest the Visual Table Editor. If you don't wanna read me prattling on and rephrasing things others have said, feel free to look at the Original & RRL-Official Table Guide. There's also an older thread here. Just note that you may miss out on a few things.
*Update* Newer thread specifically handling tables can be found here.

While they may look the same at first glance, one can only be used to create a box while the other is capable of making spreadsheets and organizing data. By default, text displayed in windows are centered while tables use left aligned text.

This is a window.
This is a table.

Code:
[window]This is a window.[/window]
[table][tr][td]This is a table.[/td][/tr][/table]

Now that we have that minor distinction out of the way, let's move on to the practical pieces of creating tables. The following is a list of tags and descriptions.

Code:
[table] Creates table [/table]
[tr] Creates new line [/tr]
[td] Creates cell (self adjusting) [/td]
[tds] Creates cell 1/4 of the line [/tds]
[td2] Creates cell 1/2 of the line [/td2]
[td3] Creates cell 3/4 of the line [/td3]
[td4] Creates cell 4/4 of the line - a single cell spanning the row [/td4]

"tds" tags may or may not combine with other tags. Requires testing.

Code:
[table][tr][td]1[/td][td]2[/td][td]3[/td][td]4[/td][td]5[/td][td]6[/td][/tr][/table]

Mixing it up.
[/tr]
Title Line
half a line1/41/4
3/4 a line 1/4

Code:
[table][tr][td4]Title Line[/td4][/tr]
[tr] [td2]half a line[/td2] [tds]1/4[/tds] [tds]1/4[/tds] [/tr]
[tr] [td3] 3/4 a line [/td3] [tds]1/4[/tds] [/tr]
[/tr][/table]

As mentioned in the alignments section, the "center" tag should work on formatting entire tables.

Just for fun, other commentators have pointed out that hexadecimal codes do work to color boxes. The hexadecimal codes follow the same usage as coloring text but may be replaced with a color name instead. Here's a few examples.

Single cell table

Single cell table

Code:
[table=red][tr][td]
[align=center]Single cell table[/align]
[/td][/tr][/table]
[table=purple][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

fuchsia!

fuchsia!

Code:
[table=#FF0080][tr][td]
fuchsia!
[/td]
[/tr][/table]

[table=fuchsia][tr][td]
fuchsia!
[/td]
[/tr][/table]

There are a few other special codes that are either not listed or are exclusive to the RRL forums. This includes spoilers, windows, tables, soundcloud embeds, status bars, and shadow text.

Spoilers:
Code:
[spoiler]I’m tempted to make spoiler-ception right now...[/spoiler]

Tables in their entirety can be found here if you wish.

Soundcloud songs can also be embedded like so. You'll need the song ID number. It can be found by clicking "Share >> Embed" and the number should be somewhere in the text line.
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/84585737&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>
Code:
[soundcloud]84585737[/soundcloud]
^Credit goes to MangoScribble for this.

Stat bars utilize a tag and number. This number equals a percentage of the bar to be filled with an appropriate color.
Status bar (Progress)
&

Status bar (Health)
&
&

Status bar (Mana)
&
&

Status bar (Exp)
&
&

Code:
Status bar (Progress) [progress=15][/progress] &amp; [progress=99][/progress]

Status bar (Health) [health=1][/health] &amp; [health=50][/health] &amp; [health=100][/health]

Status bar (Mana) [mana=40][/mana] &amp; [mana=80][/mana] &amp; [mana=100][/mana]

Status bar (Exp) [exp=17][/exp] &amp; [exp=45][/exp] &amp; [exp=100][/exp]

And lastly,

Shadows

Code:
[shadow]Shadows[/shadow]

These last few were taken from the Coding and a couple other threads.

Coding for Fiction Blurbs
If you're trying to add some fancy colors, fonts, links, or whatever else to your fiction blurb, you're going to need some HTML coding knowledge. I myself have no familiarity with it, but you're welcome to try it out. Here's some basics provided by Sitrix.

If you wish to teach yourself some HTML coding, here are two resources I've found.
http://www.w3schools.com/html/
http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/

I'm pretty sure I've covered them all now.

I hope this compilation is useful as a reference at the very least.

Possible bugs log for Devs to check out:
*Spoilers within spoilers are not set to the default dark theme and make text unreadable. They also tend to auto-indent text after the second spoiler, but within the first spoiler.
**Having issues with lettered list auto changing itself after every revision to bulletted list. Need to manually edit after each revision
***Some text seems to auto-indent itself. See text alignments section.
****Non-functioning videos may be due to outdated code or improper link assignments.
RE:TTC | Support Your Authors | WriTE + Magazine | LitRPGS | INKED | RRL Music Playlist | Gashapon Art Machine | RRL Discord
Congrats, you've found the following item: <Potato.> Would you like to add it to your inventory?
<Yes>/<No>
P.s. Too lazy to finish cleaning up my forum sig right now. Ignore half the links please.

RE: Practical Coding Tags & Usage Guide - A Compilation

@batotit, the stat bars are fairly obscure as they're only referenced in one or two fics and only noted in the "Coding" thread, linked above. Took a bit of browsing to find that one. I'll be trawling through some of the old threads to see if anything else pops up.

>>Attention New Viewers<<

This is a live document. It occasionally undergoes revisions for improved formatting and/or new BBcodes. This post is currently being used as a testing grounds before integration into the main post. You may ignore this one.

Texting Zone

Congratulations! You have defeated Sulfuric Impaler Matriarch (Young) while in the presence of Aura.
Chronicles of the Frozen Battlefield have earned the following upgrade:
STR +4 AGI +5 TGH+3
DEF +1 M. Res +1

Congratulations, you just received your first class: Skirmisher! This class is found on the Warrior/rogue skill tree, and so you may now acquire some basic skills from both trees.
You have also earned access to this class’ unique skills.
Warning, resetting your class will send you back to level 10, remove all of your class skills and remove all of your status points allocated after level 10.
Non-class skills that aren’t related to the class tree will be kept at half their current levels.
Non-class skills that are related to the class trees will be locked at half of their current levels until you acquire said class tree again.

For acquiring the Skirmisher Class, you have earned the Class Skill: Consumables mastery.
Skill: Consumables mastery [lvl1]
0%
Due to your class need of exotic tactics, resorting to consumables is almost a must for you, so your mastery of these weapons is inevitable, making you instinctively know how to better use them, increasing their effects.
Increase offensive consumable items effects by 20%
Passive

For acquiring the Skirmisher Class, you have earned the Class Skill: Tactical charge.
Skill: Tactical charge [lvl1]
0%
Some plans require a fast acting as soon as the opportunity presents itself, and this requires a quick repositioning of yourself or your part, and a quickly positioned ally may greatly increase the effects of their intervention.
Applies a charge effect to the next melee skill used by the target. Said skill can be targeted towards an enemy or a point in space.
The skill affected will deal up to 20% extra damage according to the time from the effect being applied and the skill being used.
Maximun skill range: 10 meters. Maximum charge distance: 8 meters.
Cost: 10 energy
Cool down: 10 seconds

For acquiring the Skirmisher Class, you have earned the Class Skill: Retreat.
Skill: Retreat [lvl1]
0%
Some times your plans don’t work as well as they should. Choosing to retreat isn’t an incorrect choice when your life is at stake.
Increase movement speed by 20%. If your enemy lose sight of you during retreat, you are more likely to lose your combat status. Duration: 20 seconds.
WARNING: Using Retreat locks all of your skills for up to 10 seconds after its duration has finished.
Can only be used during combat.

Cost: 0 energy
Cool down: 10 minutes

For acquiring the Skirmisher Class, you have earned the Class Skill: Ready for anything.
Skill: Ready for anything [lvl1]
0%
Thanks to your class, you are always ready for whatever it is that will be thrown at you. Be it through your enemies or the very nature.
Abnormal status resistance increased by 10%
Immunity to mild terrain disadvantages.
Passive

For acquiring the Skirmisher Class, you have earned the Class Unique Skill: Adaptability.
Unique Skill: Adaptability [lvl1]
0%
Sometimes, a fight can develop into hundreds of different scenarios. These times, having a single weapon may not be enough. You can now equip any weapon on your auxiliary weapon slot.
WARNING: Equipping normal weapons on the slot will reduce weapon’s mastery skills effectivity by 50%.
Only the weapon(s) currently in use will contribute to your status.
Passive

For acquiring the Adaptability skill, you have earned the Sub-skill: Cycle weapons.
Sub-skill: Cycle weapons [lvl1]
(level increases with Adaptability)
Having two weapons some times may be cumbersome, and a little help from other less usual methods may be needed. This skill allows you to change your currently equipped weapon instantly.
Cost: 0 energy
Cooldown: 30 seconds

^tables courtesy of Warhawx - messing with the "a" tag now

Testing 'a'?

Topline
window
endline

cell testing1cell testing2

The 'a' tag seems to accept table codes
cell testing1cell testing2

^without "tr" line tag
full line

rawr?
testing table codes in windowcell2

Window>>Table>>A

table>>a>>window

table1
table2
table3
window1
window2
window3

table, window, and a can be used once each in any order of each other, but cannot repeat the base tag within itself aka table>>table doesn't work, a>>a doesn't, and window>>window doesn't work, even if you stack other codes in between.
RE:TTC | Support Your Authors | WriTE + Magazine | LitRPGS | INKED | RRL Music Playlist | Gashapon Art Machine | RRL Discord
Congrats, you've found the following item: <Potato.> Would you like to add it to your inventory?
<Yes>/<No>
P.s. Too lazy to finish cleaning up my forum sig right now. Ignore half the links please.

More BBCode:

Testing
Code:
[window]Testing[/window]

Single cell table

Code:
[table][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Double row table

Another row

Code:
[table][tr][td]
[align=center]Double row table[/align]
[/td][/tr]
[tr][td]
[align=center]Another row[/align]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Cell 1

Cell 2

Code:
[table][tr][td]
[align=center]Cell 1[/align]
[/td][td]
[align=center]Cell 2[/align]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Single cell table

Code:
[table=purple][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Cool. I didn't know that you could change your window boxes' colors. Do you know what the other usable colors are or if you could use the hexadecimal system?

I'll be editing the compilation above to include a quick reference for tables in a spoiler box.
There will also be one for windows as there is a clear distinction between the two. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Testing Zone 2

table b4 cell
table cell
'a' cell'a' cell

table b4 cell
table cell
'a' cell'a' cell
<Yes>/<No>

I've been thinking and it feels a little too cramped as it is right now. Should I place each section into its own spoiler box to tidy things up?
<Yes>/<No>

'batotit' pid='545669' dateline='1456379544' Wrote: My personal favorite, color code FF0080, fuchsia!

fuchsia!

Feels like a fairy barfed on my screen... I think I'll use that color later.

Well, this sucks. It won't let me access the original post properly any more. This is all I get and I don't want to risk updating and losing all the current work.

Update: post box fixed.
<Yes>/<No>

'Azareal' pid='545841' dateline='1456390972' Wrote:
'j0nn0' pid='545683' dateline='1456380506' Wrote: Well, this sucks. It won't let me access the original post properly any more. This is all I get and I don't want to risk updating and losing all the current work.
Is it in sourcemode?
You can get the contents of the post by quoting it, I believe and then just overwrite the opening post.
Nah, neither option worked earlier. Wing responded to my help ticket so now the problem is fixed. I'll be cleaning up the main post tomorrow and Friday.
<Yes>/<No>

*Bump* to get this back up to the top page. Quick update on this. Everything's been formatted, cleaned up, and should cover just about all the tags now. Tell me if I forgot anything. Oh, and if the lettered list is in fact a bulletted list, it's because it keeps auto-changing after every update. Just tell me and I'll fix it if it's wrong.
<Yes>/<No>

Testing
Code:
[window=green]Testing[/window]

Coloured windows are really glitched out. Might be a bug worth fixing, although people could just use single cell tables instead. Windows have a bit more padding above and below the text unlike the tables.

Code:
[table][tr][td4]Title Line[/td4][/tr]
[tr] [td2]half a line[/td2] [tds]1/4[/tds] [tds]1/4[/tds] [/tr]
[tr] [td3] 3/4 a line [/td3] [tds]1/4[/tds] [/tr]
[/tr][/table]

For the tables, it might be nice to have something more like HTML than all of the td2, td3, etcs.
I just feels a little weird to me. Also, it would make it easier to do all of the things which you probably shouldn't be doing like rowspan.

'batotit' pid='545669' dateline='1456379544' Wrote: My personal favorite, color code FF0080, fuchsia!

fuchsia!

Code:
[table=fuchsia]
[tr]
[td100]

fuchsia!

[/td100]
[/tr]
[/table]
[/quote]

It seems to accept the name "fuchsia" too, although the shade of it is slightly different.

I knew I forgot something. I didn't do the colored windows. Oh, and the shades of fuchsia are different between the named color and the hexadecimal code. You can check it out in the tables and windows section because I've already posted that bit.
<Yes>/<No>

Just so you know, the PHP button doesn't let you actually use PHP code, it just provides syntax highlighting for PHP the way a code editor or IDE would. That said, it's very basic and not well-suited to RRL's dark theme, and is otherwise the same as the CODE tag. The way you wrote about it made me excited thinking I could actually put fancy PHP bits in my posts...

Code:
/**
* Encrypt a string by a given key. Taken from <a href="https://github.com/Hunter-Dolan/Crypt" rel="nofollow noopener ugc">https://github.com/Hunter-Dolan/Crypt</a>
* @param string $sData Data to encrypt.
* @param string $sKey  Key to use for the encryption.
* @return string Base64-encoded string of the encrypted string.
*/
public static function encrypt( $sData, $sKey )
{
   $sResult = &#39;&#39;;
   for( $i = 0; $i &lt; strlen( $sData ); $i++ )
   {
       $sChar = substr( $sData, $i, 1 );
       $sKeyChar = substr( $sKey, ( $i % strlen( $sKey ) ) - 1, 1 );
       $sChar = chr( ord( $sChar ) + ord( $sKeyChar ) );
       $sResult .= $sChar;
   }

return \PHP_DDNS\Core\PHP_DDNS_Helper::encodeBase64( $sResult );
}

Also, the code for the lettered list is just a normal bullet list right now.

'Durrendal' pid='553042' dateline='1456836318' Wrote: Can the colour of the status bars be changed? Also, the size?
I believe they are a fixed thing considering that they have a specific tag assignment instead of a generic tag and color assignment or tag and name pair. You'll have to talk with a dev on that one because I think it's exclusive to RRL.

@ultrabenosaurus thanks for the info on the coding. I have no idea how to use it as I haven't bothered teaching myself any as of yet. Thanks for pointing out the table. I coulda sworn I fixed that in my last update of it.
<Yes>/<No>