Finish Your Fiction Disciplines!

So I thought it might be a good idea to make a list of different approaches, or practical things a person can do to stay motivated to complete a fiction.

I'll add only a few to get the list started.

• Read other fictions - Great way to stay motivated. Get amped up by reading someone Else's work.

• Spend time daydreaming about scenes in your story - Don't just force yourself to write... Imagine!

• Discuss your fiction with others - Lonely ninja writers may secretly look cool, but they can sometimes lack motivation.

• Writing out multiple ideas before polishing one up to post. The one you don't use comes in use later.

• Outline the major plot points before or while writing. Use sub-goals in between major events.

• Listen to some music.

• Stop in the middle of a word/sentence, so you can pick up where you left off.

• Read the last chapter before writing the next one.

• Write, don't edit.

• Written drivel is better than no drivel.  Write ANYTHING...

• Sometimes if you aren't in the mood to write, the best way to get in the mood is to start writing!

• Find a writing partner!

• Caffeine!

• Caffeine at night!

• More Caffeine!

• Stay up late and write. (Good idea to reread your work in the morning!)

• Rest. R&R. Basically take a break to regain motivation

• Snacks!

• Sift out constructive criticism and ignore the hate.

• Write for the sake of the story needing to be told.

• Work out briefly to get the blood flowing so you don't get too tired for night writing.

RE: Finish Your Fiction Disciplines!

Sitting down and pounding out a few hundred words for an idea relevant to your story, pounding out a couple more like that, then deciding on one to polish up for the actual story content. The other ideas help formulate the future or could be used in later chapters.

One of my biggest problems is actually getting started. If you let the ball drop, you're that much less inclined to continue where you left off. It's easy to stop doing something, but to continue on despite the flaws and hardships? That's difficult.
RE:TTC | Support Your Authors | WriTE + Magazine | LitRPGS | INKED | RRL Music Playlist | Gashapon Art Machine | RRL Discord
Congrats, you've found the following item: <Potato.> Would you like to add it to your inventory?
<Yes>/<No>
P.s. Too lazy to finish cleaning up my forum sig right now. Ignore half the links please.

Another way I've found beneficial is surprisingly, to plan out major points beforehand. That way you make some sub-goals for yourself along the way, aiding greatly in the middle section, where you might get the "only 10 000 miles to go *sigh" attitude.

Of course, the story can still organically change along the way, in which case there might be a need for adjustment.

It also helps a little against "What now?" moments.

Also, good initiative, Elorion!
Member of WriTE

About the major goals, I've got a scant few for my stories to be honest. I have vague ideas and possible tangents to grasp, but on the whole, I'm making it up as I go, especially with Noodle Knight. Maybe figuring out an actual end or highly possible plot points would help with motivation.
RE:TTC | Support Your Authors | WriTE + Magazine | LitRPGS | INKED | RRL Music Playlist | Gashapon Art Machine | RRL Discord
Congrats, you've found the following item: <Potato.> Would you like to add it to your inventory?
<Yes>/<No>
P.s. Too lazy to finish cleaning up my forum sig right now. Ignore half the links please.

'j0nn0' pid='625251' dateline='1461429595' Wrote: Sitting down and pounding out a few hundred words for an idea relevant to your story, pounding out a couple more like that, then deciding on one to polish up for the actual story content. The other ideas help formulate the future or could be used in later chapters.

One of my biggest problems is actually getting started. If you let the ball drop, you're that much less inclined to continue where you left off. It's easy to stop doing something, but to continue on despite the flaws and hardships? That's difficult.

Added to the list!

'Zenlith' pid='625425' dateline='1461437158' Wrote: Another way I've found beneficial is surprisingly, to plan out major points beforehand. That way you make some sub-goals for yourself along the way, aiding greatly in the middle section, where you might get the "only 10 000 miles to go *sigh" attitude.

Of course, the story can still organically change along the way, in which case there might be a need for adjustment.

It also helps a little against "What now?" moments.

Also, good initiative, Elorion!

Also added!
'j0nn0' pid='625429' dateline='1461437372' Wrote: About the major goals, I've got a scant few for my stories to be honest. I have vague ideas and possible tangents to grasp, but on the whole, I'm making it up as I go, especially with Noodle Knight. Maybe figuring out an actual end or highly possible plot points would help with motivation.

I have to second Zenlith. Without an outline, or goal that I want to the story to accomplish, I never get anywhere; at least not for long. Its when I know where I'm going and have a rough outline that I stay motivated.

Like with Codename: Freedom, I'm about 110k words into it and about done with the first book. I have the next eight books planned out. At least the main plot points. Everything can fit on a single sheet of paper. This is also essential for character development. Unless you are writing full time its hard to stay in the head of every character.

In addition to this spending time not writing, just meditating on the plot and living it out in my head is when it comes to life for me. I spend at least as much time during the week thinking about what I'm going to write about as I do writing.

'Vocaloid' pid='625806' dateline='1461453762' Wrote: As for me, the thing that motivates me to write the most is some good music. I'm never running out of ideas of how to write a story. But I always have trouble with motivating myself to continue writing. The best thing for me is to listen to some good music, if I find a good song then I can write up to 10k words in a single day.

I like it! Added!

Best advice I know is two things:

1) Write, don't edit. Writing is an exercise in creativity. Grammar, spelling, and formatting is an exercise in logic. Left Brain - Right brain opposites. Create the story. Let your mind go. Don't obsess for an hour where to put your comma. Put one down ANYWHERE and keep the story going. Edit when the chapter is done if you have to. I usually don't worry about editing at all, until the whole arc/book is finished.

2) Written drivel is better than no drivel. Write ANYTHING.... This sucks, I don't know where to go next. My character sera is such a slut, she should bang John in the back of her VW later! Can you imagine? OOOH OOOH OHHHH! AAAAAHHHHH -- Gearshift! Ha ha!

Write 10 pages of drivel, find a single word you like out of it, and you have more that you had before.

AND, that drivel got your mind thinking, your creative side going, and your keyboard tapping. Editing that drivel helps improve and polish your skills. Simply staring at your keyboard and saying, "I got nothing," only gives you.... Nothing. Unless you're looking to skill up in Writers Block, don't practice it.

'Chiisutofupuru' pid='626004' dateline='1461465026' Wrote: (May I take some of Uni's words of wisdom?)
Stop in the middle of a word/sentence, so you can pick up where you left off.

Interesting. Added!

Your point made me thing of another. Read the last chapter before writing the next one.

'Darkbringer' pid='626052' dateline='1461467133' Wrote: Best advice I know is two things:

1) Write, don't edit.  Writing is an exercise in creativity.  Grammar, spelling, and formatting is an exercise in logic.   Left Brain - Right brain opposites.  Create the story.  Let your mind go.  Don't obsess for an hour where to put your comma.  Put one down ANYWHERE and keep the story going.  Edit when the chapter is done if you have to.  I usually don't worry about editing at all, until the whole arc/book is finished.

2) Written drivel is better than no drivel.  Write ANYTHING....   This sucks, I don't know where to go next.  My character sera is such a slut, she should bang John in the back of her VW later!  Can you imagine?  OOOH  OOOH  OHHHH!   AAAAAHHHHH -- Gearshift!   Ha ha!

Write 10 pages of drivel, find a single word you like out of it, and you have more that you had before.

AND, that drivel got your mind thinking, your creative side going, and your keyboard tapping.  Editing that drivel helps improve and polish your skills.  Simply staring at your keyboard and saying, "I got nothing," only gives you.... Nothing.  Unless you're looking to skill up in Writers Block, don't practice it.

Good points! Sometimes if you aren't in the mood to write, the best way to get in the mood is to start writing!

Drink coffee at 1 in the night and write wherever the god of caffeine takes you. Sleep deprivation and coffee is one the best ways to get a chapter in. (My chapter 5 Hehehe....... I am sorry for that......)
Drink coffee at 2 in the night and hallucinate your chapter because you haven't slept yet.
Drink coffee at 3 in the night and your hallucinations come alive and force you to write.
Sleep at 4 to 6.(continue your sleep deprivation but not to the extent of dying)
Wake up at 7, start studying
Stop at 7 in the evening frustrated.
Write a quick chapter in your frustration and to end your stress.
Continue steps, till you finish your fiction.
Also if needed you can hire someone from WriTE to whip I mean force..... persuade you into writing your next chapter!
My fictions:
Project OMEGA
WriTE OneShot
Groups:
WriTE

Hmm... That strangely mirrors my writing schedule when I'm more active. Genesis was written almost exclusively between midnight and 4:00am, Noodle Knight is simply all over the place, my TTC is the midnight or later during vacation days, and now Trending News is steering more towards midnight writing as well.

But you've got coffee. I don't drink it much if at all so anything that comes up with relative clarity in that fog sometimes surprises me in the morning when I reread my work.
<Yes>/<No>

Sometimes the best way to beat writers block/a lack of motivation is to take a nap, or have a snack. Essentially get some R&R but then make sure to pick it back up again.
But most importantly, i think a lot of people are turned off by bad reviews/ratings and a lack of followers. For them I think the most important thing to do is to take the constructive criticism and use it to improve yourself and ignore the blatant hate/lack of love and just keep doing what you're doing for the sake of the story.
https://goo.gl/tHnDsL
A proud member of Writers to The End - We finish our fictions!
[My Website
]