Rules for Empire Building RP

Generating the Map

-There can be between 10 and 25 systems on the map in total.
-There can be between 1 and 10 planets in each system
-There can be between 10 and 100 resource points on each planet.
-To determine the system where a player starts, number each system then generate a number and place the player on the associated system. If the system is already taken, repeat process until an unoccupied system is generated.  (If there are 17 planets, number each one. Then generate a number between 1 and 17 and place the player on the system with the number that is generated.  If the number is already taken, generate the number again.)
-The map is a 10x10 grid.  To determine where systems are placed, generate a number between 1 and 10 twice and place the system on the corresponding point.  (1 is furthest left and furthest down, 10 is furthest right and furthest up).

Resource stats/formulas
Resources determine how hard it is to  upgrade economics, industry, and science.
-Each level of economics produces $ equal to 50 x (lvl x 1.5)
-Each level of industry produces ships equal to .25 x (lvl x 1.5)
-Each level of science produces research equal to 1 x (lvl x 1.5)
-Each planet must only upgrade 1 category...choose wisely.
-Conquered planets retain their levels, and you may upgrade them but not choose a different category...
Science upgrade formula = (2,000 x lvl(lvl)) / resource level  [round up]
Industry upgrade formula = (1000 x (lvl(lvl))) / resource level  [round up]
Economic upgrade formula = (500 x (lvl(lvl))) / resource level [round up]

Races
-races are only applicable for RP purposes.  You may make up your own, but they will not have any special abilities.

Technologies
-Weapons technology (base 1 Damage)
+Each level of weapons technology means each ship deals 1 additional damage in each round.
-Armor technology (base 5 HP)
+Each level of armor technology means each ship possesses 1 additional HP.
-Banking technology
+Each level of banking technology makes each planet produce 150 more $, no matter if economy is upgraded on that colony.
-Terraforming technology
+Each level of terraforming technology increases the resources of a planet by 5
-Hyperspace Technology (base 5 recharge and 1 range)
+Each level of Hyperspace technology decreases your Jump recharge time by 1 (and if at 0 it increases your jump range by 1).
-Experimentation Technology
+Each level of Experimentation technology increases your research produced per tick by 1 on each colony, no matter if science is upgraded on that colony.
-Shipbuilding technology
+Each level of Shipbuilding technology increases your ship production by .25 in each colony, no matter if industry is upgraded on that colony.
-Scanning technology (base 1 scan range)
+Each level of scanning technology increases your scan range for oncoming forces and infrastructure by 1.

Technology Formulas
-Research required for tech level up = 200 x lvl(lvl(lvl))

Base Stats
-$1000
-10 ships on each planet
-1 hyperspace carrier on a planet you possess of your choice.
-0 Weapons tech
-0 armor tech
-0 Banking tech
-0 terraforming tech
-0 hyperspace tech
-0 experimentation tech
-0 shipbuilding tech
-0 scanning tech
-1 planet of your choice with 5 industry
-1 planet of your choice with 5 economy
-1 planet of your choice with 1 science

Combat formulas
Damage = X + (# of ships * (weapons tech level + 5))
*Note
-if a ship has HP remaining it is not destroyed and will be repaired for the next battle.
-ships must travel in Hyperspace carriers if traveling to other solar systems.)
-if you conquer a system (and an enemy Hyperspace carrier is in that system) you win that hyperspace carrrier.
-Damage will never leave more than 1 ship partly destroyed, but repairing a damaged ship is free.

Misc Notes
You can give Tech levels away for $25
You can buy hyperspace carriers $25 and 10 ships.
Permanent alliances count as 1 empire, but must be declared publicly, all other diplomatic actions do not.  (use PMs).  
If a permanent alliance is all that is left at the end of the game, all the players in it win.  There can be multiple permanent alliances, but they cannot merge.
The game ends when there is only one player / permanent alliance.
It costs $1000, 1 hyperspace carrier, and 100 ships to colonize a system...in other words, it’s expensive.  VERY expensive.

Important Info
You are welcome to start a game with these rules, and I would like to join if you do (so let me know).  These rules have been playtested, but are still being written down, so let me know if you don't understand anything.  I want to join any game that starts with these rules and...

I Want Feedback!!!
https://www.nodiatis.com/pub/18.jpg

RE: Rules for Empire Building RP

*flies right over j0nn0's head*

It sounds so complicated. I personally like simple things like instances or states that activate upon acquisition and do not require any prior knowledge to get into.

Do you play tabletop games? If not, you should check out some of the more card based games like what you propose. I don't really play any of the more complicated ones, but card based games give you the complexity of what you're making while keeping things simpler.

One of the games I'm thinking of is called Race for the Galaxy. It's card based, works around a resource pool for growth and expansion, and is turn based with new sets of cards being opened to acquisition.

Another, simpler, conquest game was started on RRL and can be found here. Unfortunately, due to the online nature of the game and players, we haven't exactly had a successful play through of it yet.
RE:TTC | Support Your Authors | WriTE + Magazine | LitRPGS | INKED | RRL Music Playlist | Gashapon Art Machine | RRL Discord
Congrats, you've found the following item: <Potato.> Would you like to add it to your inventory?
<Yes>/<No>
P.s. Too lazy to finish cleaning up my forum sig right now. Ignore half the links please.