Decaying

I think that the quantity of stories I would read in RRL are decaying, together with the quality.
Plz, comment what you think about it, do you think that the quantity of stories you would read is decaying?
I'm here just to give feedbacks.. and possibly write something, I don't know, who knows?
The Book Cultivation Technique is the method to gather Ancient Book Qi into your dantian to cultivate the Book Laws.

RE: Decaying

While the large majority of stories being posted to RRL these days can't exactly be considered all that developed, it doesn't mean that there aren't still good works being created. It has simply gotten much more difficult to sift the pearls from the sand as the number of people wishing to create a story has only risen.

On average, there are over 15 new stories added to RRL each and every day. I estimate that less than 5 of those 15 will ever reach 10 chapters (15k words+), less than 3 of them will ever get truly developed into a respectable story, and I doubt that even 5 in 100 get completed in any stage of their drafts. It is easy to start something, easy to begin a new project, and even easier to simply do nothing, but the difficulty lies in pulling through to the end. Very few have the will and determination to forge ahead despite all the stones in the road before them.

As for the community itself, keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion: The crooked nail sticks out.

What do I mean by that? Well, I mean that the ones who stir up trouble, post trash reviews and the like are often the most vocal. Many readers are content to stay anonymous users and simply read the stories on here for their enjoyment. Of those that do create an account, I think that only a handful are all that active in interacting with the rest of the community. Just look at the forums for example; it's nearly empty. Even stories with readers numbering in the thousands and follows topping 500 follows have difficulty reaching even one or two pages of commenters.

Well, who am I to speak. I was one of those anons until I had joined a year ago and really only began interacting a few months after that. In all honesty, I'm likely more social online than I am in person.

So... Maybe there's less dedicated people to write stories and comment. Maybe we are of the vocal few. Maybe RRL just has a problem with attracting trolls these days... In any event, the community is what it is. It is what we make of it. And if we want to see it improve, we can start changing it with ourselves. There is nothing stopping each and every one of us from improving the quality of this site, nor is there anything inhibiting us from finding that much more enjoyment from the experience.

It is what you make of it and I wish you good luck in finding those gems you seek on RRL.
RE:TTC | Support Your Authors | WriTE + Magazine | LitRPGS | INKED | RRL Music Playlist | Gashapon Art Machine | RRL Discord
Congrats, you've found the following item: <Potato.> Would you like to add it to your inventory?
<Yes>/<No>
P.s. Too lazy to finish cleaning up my forum sig right now. Ignore half the links please.

'j0nn0' pid='701168' dateline='1466799575' Wrote: While the large majority of stories being posted to RRL these days can't exactly be considered all that developed, it doesn't mean that there aren't still good works being created. It has simply gotten much more difficult to sift the pearls from the sand as the number of people wishing to create a story has only risen.

On average, there are over 15 new stories added to RRL each and every day. I estimate that less than 5 of those 15 will ever reach 10 chapters (15k words+), less than 3 of them will ever get truly developed into a respectable story, and I doubt that even 5 in 100 get completed in any stage of their drafts. It is easy to start something, easy to begin a new project, and even easier to simply do nothing, but the difficulty lies in pulling through to the end. Very few have the will and determination to forge ahead despite all the stones in the road before them.

As for the community itself, keep in mind that this is just my personal opinion: The crooked nail sticks out.

What do I mean by that? Well, I mean that the ones who stir up trouble, post trash reviews and the like are often the most vocal. Many readers are content to stay anonymous users and simply read the stories on here for their enjoyment. Of those that do create an account, I think that only a handful are all that active in interacting with the rest of the community. Just look at the forums for example; it's nearly empty. Even stories with readers numbering in the thousands and follows topping 500 follows have difficulty reaching even one or two pages of commenters.

Well, who am I to speak. I was one of those anons until I had joined a year ago and really only began interacting a few months after that. In all honesty, I'm likely more social online than I am in person.

So... Maybe there's less dedicated people to write stories and comment. Maybe we are of the vocal few. Maybe RRL just has a problem with attracting trolls these days... In any event, the community is what it is. It is what we make of it. And if we want to see it improve, we can start changing it with ourselves. There is nothing stopping each and every one of us from improving the quality of this site, nor is there anything inhibiting us from finding that much more enjoyment from the experience.

It is what you make of it and I wish you good luck in finding those gems you seek on RRL.

Wow, you have a good point of view... I haven't though of it... But that is TRUE that the quality is decaying, if you look at statistics, some time in the past, you had good novels like Apocalypse Now, Today I Cultivated, Become The Strongest Just by Breathing, and many others that I don't remember the name.
But today, what you've got? You can count on two hands the numbers of good novels
What I see are countless copies of a previous novel, and that is not the problem, the problem is that they copy and don't put that it was based on the actual novel.
And there is more, this is not just restricted to RRL, japanese authors are writing the same thing: demon lord this, demon lord that, hero here, hero there.
That is my point of view.

My idea is to create a prestige system, followed by pro reviews, reviewing grammar, plot, character development!
You will probably say: But there IS a system like that!
And I say: This system is not effective! It needs to be polished, when you click on a novel you won't actually pay attention to its review.
People will actually pay attention ( even the author ) to the review, when you add the prestige system or whatever.
Like, people with high prestige could have medals on the side of his novel name
Note that prestige should be counted by novel and not by person.
And prestige should be given by pre-selected people with special rights and at least 1 year of register

Of course we should keep the low rating novels, but we should highlight those with higher rating

(I came up with this idea because I have ORGANIZATION DISORDER, or should I say: ORGANIZATION ORDER?)
I'm here just to give feedbacks.. and possibly write something, I don't know, who knows?
The Book Cultivation Technique is the method to gather Ancient Book Qi into your dantian to cultivate the Book Laws.

Well, the fact that there's so many stories that are alike makes me screen my own reading. Criteria first runs through grammar, then basic interest. Those get read if I'm bored. If it keeps my interest, I follow it. If not, I leave a comment of what I felt could be improved on and move onto the next. I also only read more if I have the time to. For that sole reason alone, I haven't read many of the more popular stories on rrl.

In the end, I choose to be optimistic about the future of rrl. I mean, if not, what are you supposed to do?

P.s. The Group reviewers could use some more members if you're up to the task of organization and review officiation.
RE:TTC | Support Your Authors | WriTE + Magazine | LitRPGS | INKED | RRL Music Playlist | Gashapon Art Machine | RRL Discord
Congrats, you've found the following item: <Potato.> Would you like to add it to your inventory?
<Yes>/<No>
P.s. Too lazy to finish cleaning up my forum sig right now. Ignore half the links please.

'j0nn0' pid='701322' dateline='1466809091' Wrote: Well, the fact that there's so many stories that are alike makes me screen my own reading. Criteria first runs through grammar, then basic interest. Those get read if I'm bored. If it keeps my interest, I follow it. If not, I leave a comment of what I felt could be improved on and move onto the next. I also only read more if I have the time to. For that sole reason alone, I haven't read many of the more popular stories on rrl.

In the end, I choose to be optimistic about the future of rrl. I mean, if not, what are you supposed to do?

P.s. The Group reviewers could use some more members if you're up to the task of organization and review officiation.

I couldn't understand very well the P.s., but if you're inviting me to some group, I would humbly decline, I don't have the time needed to focus on group activities, I'm in test period at school, maybe on the holidays ( damn sociology will get me in red marks :@ )

The Group is an actual 'semi official' group on RRL. J0nn0 doesn't get to invite (Unless he's a sucker and took over moderation) - but can suggest people join. Currently it's down to me and Argos as members with Reshi theoretically in vague control if we step out of line. I think. We're not super active and trying to find an easier way to handle the work load...

I know I'm constantly busy with crap in my own life.

That being said - keep in mind it's not the quality of stories so much (at least based on your second post) - but repetition, which happens in all genres. It happens in music and movies as well. The idea can only be novel so long before you as a consumer become jaded or less interested.

Oddly drugs work the same way.

'FrustratedEgo' pid='701354' dateline='1466811999' Wrote: The Group is an actual 'semi official' group on RRL. J0nn0 doesn't get to invite (Unless he's a sucker and took over moderation) - but can suggest people join. Currently it's down to me and Argos as members with Reshi theoretically in vague control if we step out of line. I think. We're not super active and trying to find an easier way to handle the work load...

I know I'm constantly busy with crap in my own life.

That being said - keep in mind it's not the quality of stories so much (at least based on your second post) - but repetition, which happens in all genres. It happens in music and movies as well. The idea can only be novel so long before you as a consumer become jaded or less interested.

Oddly drugs work the same way.

Repetition counts as quality as well, a good author can copy an idea and innovate it, making it different
And grammar counts as quality as well, recently the authors do not give a shit to grammar
And if you say: you say it but you don't even try to help!
You're completely wrong, I always ( when I'm not on the bus ( yes, I read RRL FFs on the bus, THE BUS-Bus-bus-us-s )) try to suggest ways to improve grammar and complexity of characters, but hardly 1 out of 20 follows the suggestion
There are those who write like chinese MTL
X ( character name here ) were getting Y ( place name ) water with too much. ( just a crappy example )

i also disagree with op but for a whole other reason. good stories and bad stories. First of all what is good and what is bad is subjective, but i guess you just mean in terms of readability and actual quality of writing rather than the content/story itself? yah i will just assume so. What can i say? well i will just say my opinion i guess since this is the debate section and all.
before i say anything are you complaining or not? or rather did you write about this because you wish it to be brought to people's attention and perceive it as a problem? if a yes to one or both of these questions then i believe your opinion to be wrong. 
Easily because this is a writing site for people to write. a reader reads a story they really enjoy, they make another story like it lose motivation halfway through then just stop it or rarely finish it. They usually wrote the story because they enjoyed writing it, there was no pressure from anyone else telling them to write, they just wrote it just because they enjoyed it.The amount of effort they decide to put in the story however is completely up to them because as i said, they wrote this story for fun, they have no obligation to write a story of a ''good'' quality and nor should they have to, and none have the right to tell them otherwise.
Basically what i am trying to say is everyone here is free to put in the amount of effort they want to their story, they can be encouraged by their readership to improve their grammar for easier reading experience, or think some parts of the story through better but it is up to them to listen or not. 
On the other side however, or rather on the same side as these readers ,a reader reads a story really likes it, gets inspired by it and makes their own story and put extra effort to it to share their imagination with others. they are free to do so as well.

Having said that, i really don't have as many stories to read these days as i used to, mainly because i am busy with other things so i just hang around the forums. and yes most stories i come across don't pique my interest mainly because i have seen them before or i am just more timid with starting them because i am kind of worried they will drop halfway through. 
what i really find lamantable though is the amount of  people who finish their stories regardless of the actual quality of it. because if there is honestly anything i have found out here in royalroadl is, that there is an author for every reader and a readership to every author no matter how ''specialized'' the story is.  so it is not so much as the drop or rise of the quality of stories that affects me as the reluctance to pick up a story that i know won't be finished. but then again you never know.

'nasir05' pid='705269' dateline='1467129943' Wrote: i also disagree with op but for a whole other reason. good stories and bad stories. First of all what is good and what is bad is subjective, but i guess you just mean in terms of readability and actual quality of writing rather than the content/story itself? yah i will just assume so. What can i say? well i will just say my opinion i guess since this is the debate section and all.
before i say anything are you complaining or not? or rather did you write about this because you wish it to be brought to people's attention and perceive it as a problem? if a yes to one or both of these questions then i believe your opinion to be wrong. 
Easily because this is a writing site for people to write. a reader reads a story they really enjoy, they make another story like it lose motivation halfway through then just stop it or rarely finish it. They usually wrote the story because they enjoyed writing it, there was no pressure from anyone else telling them to write, they just wrote it just because they enjoyed it.The amount of effort they decide to put in the story however is completely up to them because as i said, they wrote this story for fun, they have no obligation to write a story of a ''good'' quality and nor should they have to, and none have the right to tell them otherwise.
Basically what i am trying to say is everyone here is free to put in the amount of effort they want to their story, they can be encouraged by their readership to improve their grammar for easier reading experience, or think some parts of the story through better but it is up to them to listen or not. 
On the other side however, or rather on the same side as these readers ,a reader reads a story really likes it, gets inspired by it and makes their own story and put extra effort to it to share their imagination with others. they are free to do so as well.

Having said that, i really don't have as many stories to read these days as i used to, mainly because i am busy with other things so i just hang around the forums. and yes most stories i come across don't pique my interest mainly because i have seen them before or i am just more timid with starting them because i am kind of worried they will drop halfway through. 
what i really find lamantable though is the amount of  people who finish their stories regardless of the actual quality of it. because if there is honestly anything i have found out here in royalroadl is, that there is an author for every reader and a readership to every author no matter how ''specialized'' the story is.  so it is not so much as the drop or rise of the quality of stories that affects me as the reluctance to pick up a story that i know won't be finished. but then again you never know.

You have a point, but it was basically why I wrote this in the 'Debate' forum, to see what other users think, if the quality of stories is really decaying and etc
I didn't say that there isn't a good novel here on this site, I said that the amount is becoming less and less with time. This is, of course, my vision, your opinion might be different from mine, that might be different from someone else's

i kind of got that feel once i reread your original post, but i was done so i thought might as well post it. haha. 
well to give the TL:DR verision, the amount of stories has increased and naturally so has the amount of good stories, but the rate of stories being dropped is still about the same. 
do you go into every story with the certainty that the other will finish it? if not then do you invest as much in the world and characters as you would have?
i am interested to know

'nasir05' pid='705372' dateline='1467136097' Wrote: i kind of got that feel once i reread your original post, but i was done so i thought might as well post it. haha. 
well to give the TL:DR verision, the amount of stories has increased and naturally so has the amount of good stories, but the rate of stories being dropped is still about the same. 
do you go into every story with the certainty that the other will finish it? if not then do you invest as much in the world and characters as you would have?
i am interested to know

I do not write, I entered this community to point errors in some novels that I deem that have potential
And not completing a novel don't mean that the quality is bad.
Ex: Welcome To The Universal Body Exchange Program, a good story, but the author is almost dropping it because of health problems.
Or for example:
I don't like Harry Potter, but it does not means that the quality of the story is bad.
I don't like Lord of The Rings ( I think it is terrible ), but it does not means that the quality is bad. Actually the grammar ( possibly ) is pretty good!
I will give

'BlaiseCorvin' pid='705440' dateline='1467140186' Wrote:
'Book Cultivator' pid='705398' dateline='1467137469' Wrote: I do not write, I entered this community to point errors in some novels that I deem that have potential
And not completing a novel don't mean that the quality is bad.
Ex: Welcome To The Universal Body Exchange Program, a good story, but the author is almost dropping it because of health problems.
Or for example:
I don't like Harry Potter, but it does not means that the quality of the story is bad.
I don't like Lord of The Rings ( I think it is terrible ), but it does not means that the quality is bad. Actually the grammar ( possibly ) is pretty good!
I will give

So just out of curiosity... do you give feedback when it's asked or is it always voluntary?

?
Feedback when it's asked?
I've never come across someone saying: give feedbacks plz
So, it's always voluntary?

I don't know this "I will give" on the end of my phrase, maybe it was a message directed to someone

A lot of people ask for feedback (I do, for example)
And I interpreted your concerns as 'there are less new fics that I like.'
In my opinion, the community itself is stagnating but the quality of new fics is (generally) improving. The only reason why things might have seemed better a while ago was because you happened to like the stories coming out at the time. Who knows, you might end up thinking that the quality of stories is on the rise after stumbling upon some other fics that you like?
Who knows, that fic might even be mine :P
But seriously though, I don't think the quality of stories are decaying and I believe the reason you think it is doing so is because you just aren't getting a lot of 'my kinda stories' these days, which is a respectable position to have.
Just need to keep searching. I'm sure you'll find something that suits your fancy!
p.s. if you have a problem with dropped fictions, you should check out our group Writers to the end, where we try to encourage our members to finish their stories. Link's in the signature.
https://goo.gl/tHnDsL
A proud member of Writers to The End - We finish our fictions!
[My Website
]

'REWRITE' pid='709108' dateline='1467412473' Wrote: A lot of people ask for feedback (I do, for example)
In my opinion, the community itself is stagnating but the quality of new fics is (generally) improving. The only reason why things might have seemed better a while ago was because you happened to like the stories coming out at the time. Who knows, you might end up thinking that the quality of stories is on the rise after stumbling upon some other fics that you like?
But seriously though, I don't think the quality of stories are decaying and I believe the reason you think it is doing so is because you just aren't getting a lot of 'my kinda stories' these days, which is a respectable position to have.
Just need to keep searching. I'm sure you'll find something that suits your fancy!
p.s. if you have a problem with dropped fictions, you should check out our group Writers to the end, where we try to encourage our members to finish their stories. Link's in the signature.

Tomorrow I will check your novel
And you can't deny that the grammar of novels are getting worse

'Book Cultivator' pid='709209' dateline='1467419717' Wrote:
'REWRITE' pid='709108' dateline='1467412473' Wrote: A lot of people ask for feedback (I do, for example)

Yay, a new reader! And no, I think the level of grammar hasn't changed much. Then again, this is an amateur site so I don't think it's fair to criticize people for their grammar too heavily. A lot of people are writing for fun or to improve their skills. Shutting newbies down with harsh reviews and criticism doesn't comply with my 'dao of writing' so to speak :P
https://goo.gl/tHnDsL
A proud member of Writers to The End - We finish our fictions!
[My Website
]

'REWRITE' pid='709219' dateline='1467420826' Wrote:
'Book Cultivator' pid='709209' dateline='1467419717' Wrote:

Yay, a new reader! And no, I think the level of grammar hasn't changed much. Then again, this is an amateur site so I don't think it's fair to criticize people for their grammar too heavily. A lot of people are writing for fun or to improve their skills. Shutting newbies down with harsh reviews and criticism doesn't comply with my 'dao of writing' so to speak :P

I edited the main post, I wrote it wrong, the feeling it gave was that I was saying the absolute truth

'Book Cultivator' pid='709644' dateline='1467464047' Wrote: I edited the main post, I wrote it wrong, the feeling it gave was that I was saying the absolute truth

But, but, you cultivate the book laws, of course it's absolute truth.

Anyways, I usually don't read "new" stories because it really sucks when it has an interesting idea, and three chapters in, it never gets updated again. I'd almost rather the person not post the five paragraph total story. That's why I've started waiting till around fifteen chapters are published in a story, and it hasn't been more than a week or two without an update, before I read stuff now, unless its a really interesting topic (to me) then I jump into the latest chapter's comment section (after reading it) and try to give them some encouragement about the story, ask some questions so they think about the story a bit more, and sometimes point out a few errors. I mean it's seriously hard to find something in a fantasy setting that's about (if you put it in the VRMMO terms) crafter, like a blacksmith, or even a necromancer, so I usually pop by at least once to say "man this is awesome, keep up the good work, and I think XYVZ is suppose to be spelt XYZ."

Since someone commented on this thread, I was able to catch sight of it. I haven't been on long enough to really judge a 'change' in the site's content, and I am mostly here to write with the exception of a few works.

What made me want to post was seeing "Then again, this is an amateur site so I don't think it's fair to criticize people for their grammar too heavily. A lot of people are writing for fun or to improve their skills." As an amateur writing site, it's still about writing. tehres no need to just, like, write words down on teh page superfast not thinking looking back or doing that stuff. Even if it is amateur writing, people should be able to expect at least some level of quality, which is why even though grammar usage and spelling are rather superfluous, they are one of the easiest things to fix. You don't practice for tennis by standing still on the court, and even if you have fun doing that, people aren't going to want to watch for very long.
I put words on the Internet for you to read.
Friendly Neighborhood Necromancer: http://royalroadl.com/fiction/6523
FNN The Thread! Contains some helpful notes! Does not contain any discussions as of yet.
Ooh! Ooh! There's a TV Tropes page! Go help it out!
Member of the Singular Genius group