In my First Solid Stump. Please help...

And so... Just like what the title means. I'm in a very difficult position since I've been inactive from writing the continuation of my original stories. Honesty, I might have seen this coming but...

I'm in a stump.

It's the first time ideas stopped churning out from my mind. While that is not impossible to overcome, my fingers stopped when my eyes swam to read the story from another perspective. It's just... How should I say it? It has turned way too convoluted? The pristine white paper I thought as brand new turned to be a recycled, low-durability one?

The problems I found began from basic premises to technical sides like grammar and characterization. And as I read further and further, the mistakes became so glaring my heart ached. The amount is... Copious enough that the story can already be classified as 'bad writing example #3'.

In any case, I need help. At this point, my paths will probably be divided into:
1) keep going
2) rewrite from zero
3) nuke 'em all!

...thus, I need to know. Is each choice worth of doing? Especially number 2? I think it will help getting me out from this hellhole I never stepped into until now if I could hear the opinions from those who have faced this atrocious devil...
"A World Engraved with the Trails Left Behind by a Great Coward."

"A Tale of a Sword Wielding Princess."

RE: In my First Solid Stump. Please help...

I've been through the same thing (everyday to say the least) but most of the time it has to do with being too lazy to even make a single chapter, or being just uninspired to make one.

I've read the reviews from 'a tale of a sword wielding princess' but not the chapters itself yet, so I might seem biased

The problem seems to is that, people mainly see from that is the inconsistency in the flow of the story, kinda like plot armor for story convenience's sake. And I know that it's a fantasy fic, but the transitions don't really match that well with the rest. (I've often had this problem as well, so I don't really release that chapter until I'm 99% sure that it's good enough for the reader out there)

There are some details that should have been said or left out in the earlier chapters. 
From what I read from the previous reviews, the story seems to be lacking in purpose. Why did he/she do this. Those are one of the many important questions presented to a main character. But I don't think you need to add his reason in just one sentence, rather build it up in the story, chapter by chapter.

Plus, your readers say that you don't really need a rewrite for this. I think that you just need to improve the story overall, like making it a bit more realistic coming from a normal person's perspective, in this case, being a bit flawed.
Some like the revamps too, and some don't really mind.

For side characters, make them realistic as well. I know there are a lot of 'unique' people out there, but they have to be someone that the reader will think "yeah, I know someone like this', or 'I've heard of someone like this' They'll be able to relate to that and base the story off of them at some point where you introduce your characters.

Lastly, what I want to say is, just try and find that one focus of your story and don't trail off from that. It'll seem boring in the long run (like my own experiences for sure) but it's your story's purpose. Your story was made to lead up to that one point you've envisioned for yourself.

Maybe find a mentor or get a friend to help you proofread.

My advice is to keep going for now, as there still are people there who enjoy your stories (a lot in fact) and see where it goes from there.  
I can add more things, but there's no need to rush anything, otherwise it'll turn bad in the blink of an eye.

This is my first go at trying to help someone, so I hope this helps you, and don't hate me for this o.O I don't like the idea of being burned at the stake (/o_o)/
Better yourself through the constant pursuit of improvement, and leave behind those who wallow in content with the present as you strive for more than what you have, but not less than what you deserve.

I always look at my stuff and either make minor edits or decide it's not worth salvaging and delete it all for a rewrite. I think the biggest chunk I've deleted was a bit over a thousand words at a time.

You delete and rewrite when you still believe in the premise of your story but didn't like the way you executed the scene/chapter.

If you don't even believe in the premise, there's little point in rewriting.

What exactly has you stumped? Ideas? Characters? Dead End Plots?
It can't be the grammar... people here don't really care about grammar as long as the story is good.

Have you written all that you can for a character? Have you tried switching perspectives? Is it your creativity that's depleted? Are you tired of writing the development of your MC?

Details, man... we need details to help!
Ideas abound. Tell us what you need and we'll give it to you.

BTW, rewriting is bad... you shouldn't go back and redo something until it's finished. Then you can worry about changing or 'fixing' it. If you go back too soon, you'll doubt yourself and cause a stump. Rather than run into one, you'll be making one yourself.

It is always better to go forward, than to troll behind and not progress.

I continued Master of All, Jack of None (16 chapters) as a fan-fiction. Chapter 17 to 790 (completed) are here: Mythran's Master of All - Continued.
I have a new original fiction (scifi with VR) on the go here: L.I.F.E. Begins.
Check out some of my other stuff as well by going to my profile and clicking 'fictions'.

Just make sure you aren't having a slump because of some guy raging that you need to meet his fantasy.

Take a break. Get some rest.

Try to write when you feel energetic and happy.

You can also write when you feel inspired.

Break it down into parts, and try to be consistent. But you don't have to write all day but just a bit every day works.

When you see or get an idea hurry and write a note to put in your pocket so you don't forget it.

I think this will help.

'Series of Rebirths' pid='815428' dateline='1475763830' Wrote: I've been through the same thing (everyday to say the least) but most of the time it has to do with being too lazy to even make a single chapter, or being just uninspired to make one.

I've read the reviews from 'a tale of a sword wielding princess' but not the chapters itself yet, so I might seem biased

The problem seems to is that, people mainly see from that is the inconsistency in the flow of the story, kinda like plot armor for story convenience's sake. And I know that it's a fantasy fic, but the transitions don't really match that well with the rest. (I've often had this problem as well, so I don't really release that chapter until I'm 99% sure that it's good enough for the reader out there)

There are some details that should have been said or left out in the earlier chapters. 
From what I read from the previous reviews, the story seems to be lacking in purpose. Why did he/she do this. Those are one of the many important questions presented to a main character. But I don't think you need to add his reason in just one sentence, rather build it up in the story, chapter by chapter.

Plus, your readers say that you don't really need a rewrite for this. I think that you just need to improve the story overall, like making it a bit more realistic coming from a normal person's perspective, in this case, being a bit flawed.
Some like the revamps too, and some don't really mind.

For side characters, make them realistic as well. I know there are a lot of 'unique' people out there, but they have to be someone that the reader will think "yeah, I know someone like this', or 'I've heard of someone like this' They'll be able to relate to that and base the story off of them at some point where you introduce your characters.

Lastly, what I want to say is, just try and find that one focus of your story and don't trail off from that. It'll seem boring in the long run (like my own experiences for sure) but it's your story's purpose. Your story was made to lead up to that one point you've envisioned for yourself.

Maybe find a mentor or get a friend to help you proofread.

My advice is to keep going for now, as there still are people there who enjoy your stories (a lot in fact) and see where it goes from there.  
I can add more things, but there's no need to rush anything, otherwise it'll turn bad in the blink of an eye.

This is my first go at trying to help someone, so I hope this helps you, and don't hate me for this o.O I don't like the idea of being burned at the stake (/o_o)/

Hmm... Take it slow and consider things through. I can go with that. Yes. It's a bit sad to admit but I don't have many friends/mentors who can point out what I am wrong at. My last beta also went missing so I'm still on my own until now.

'Chiisutofupuru' pid='815471' dateline='1475796925' Wrote: Finish it!
Rewrite or not, you are going to look back and think the same thing again, believe me!
Finish it first, then you can do whatever you want after.

But I'm stuck! I have no clue in what way should I proceed since the latest chapter will affect the story and the characters in the long run!

'unice5656' pid='815479' dateline='1475805742' Wrote: I always look at my stuff and either make minor edits or decide it's not worth salvaging and delete it all for a rewrite. I think the biggest chunk I've deleted was  a bit over a thousand words at a time.

You delete and rewrite when you still believe in the premise of your story but didn't like the way you executed the scene/chapter.

If you don't even believe in the premise, there's little point in rewriting.

It's not that I don't believe in the premise... Uh, maybe I'm not clear enough. I'm troubled since the premise I used could not be told properly through the story, and it baffled me that it hasn't been addressed for a long time that if it were included, things will get very convoluted.

'zenihzwei' pid='815722' dateline='1475994318' Wrote:
'Chiisutofupuru' pid='815471' dateline='1475796925' Wrote: Finish it! Rewrite or not, you are going to look back and think the same thing again, believe me!
Finish it first, then you can do whatever you want after.

But I'm stuck! I have no clue in what way should I proceed since the latest chapter will affect the story and the characters in the long run!

It's not that I don't believe in the premise... Uh, maybe I'm not clear enough. I'm troubled since the premise I used could not be told properly through the story, and it baffled me that it hasn't been addressed for a long time that if it were included, things will get very convoluted.

If you haven't been dropping hints over the last dozen chapters or so that there was an overall premise to the story... you're right, introducing it in one fell swoop isn't going to make things better.

Now, if your premise can be broken into component parts that lead up to the reader discovering the premise, you should do that and then start dropping hints, or even develop those parts in the story first and then drop hints. As long as you're writing towards something, even if it's convoluted or waters the story down, is all that matters.

I continued Master of All, Jack of None (16 chapters) as a fan-fiction. Chapter 17 to 790 (completed) are here: Mythran's Master of All - Continued.
Check out some of my other stuff as well by going to my profile and clicking 'fictions'.

'Bokuboy' pid='815488' dateline='1475810286' Wrote: What exactly has you stumped? Ideas? Characters? Dead End Plots?
It can't be the grammar... people here don't really care about grammar as long as the story is good.

Have you written all that you can for a character? Have you tried switching perspectives? Is it your creativity that's depleted? Are you tired of writing the development of your MC?

Details, man... we need details to help!
Ideas abound. Tell us what you need and we'll give it to you.

BTW, rewriting is bad... you shouldn't go back and redo something until it's finished. Then you can worry about changing or 'fixing' it. If you go back too soon, you'll doubt yourself and cause a stump. Rather than run into one, you'll be making one yourself.

It is always better to go forward, than to troll behind and not progress.

Yes to the creativity, no to the rest. Development of the characters aren't going to be instant for sure and it's just the line of circumstances falling in future events though I admit that it seemed my method in changing perspective did poorly to flesh out world building and characterization.

Hm... How should I say it? I have sorted out the stations in various spots but I don't know how will I link them properly without changing the original planning. The rails between each station signified a certain purpose be it for the character, the plot or the world itself but I have found out I derailed somewhere and used the wrong track to reach the next station, which obviously disconnects the purpose that is supposed to link the stations as intended.

And then, it's followed by another problem which is 'if I keep going, I don't know which station am I supposed to go to next' since... The end goal might change as well.

Putting it simply, the current chapter and the next chapter(s) will determine the path all the way to the ending but after some consistencies in the previous points, any wrong mistake will lead me to a trainwreck in the most literal meaning.

Thus, what am I supposed to do now? Fix past mistakes first to stay in line or enter an unknown realm where I have to throw the old script away in favor of full improvisation?

'naosu' pid='815586' dateline='1475917264' Wrote: Just make sure you aren't having a slump because of some guy raging that you need to meet his fantasy.

Take a break. Get some rest.

Try to write when you feel energetic and happy.

You can also write when you feel inspired.

Break it down into parts, and try to be consistent. But you don't have to write all day but just a bit every day works.

When you see or get an idea hurry and write a note to put in your pocket so you don't forget it.

I think this will help.

Hm. I think I'm going to lean to that way. I think midterm is putting a toll on my mind.

'zenihzwei' pid='815918' dateline='1476183011' Wrote: Thus, what am I supposed to do now? Fix past mistakes first to stay in line or enter an unknown realm where I have to throw the old script away in favor of full improvisation?

Hmm... that is definitely a pickle. Is there no way you can improvise a few chapters to get back onto the track? If you know (or can guess) what some of the past mistakes are, you could possibly address them and then get your story back to where it was originally headed.

Or... you could do a 'side story' from before you think you went off-track and try writing the story how you thought it should go, to get to the end you've pre-planned... and see if it would work. If it does, then you can just substitute the new chapters in for the old - clearly stating so - or readers will get pissed that you changed it.

If you've been writing towards a pre-planned ending, and the writing has taken a turn away from that... have you tried writing a new pre-plan to see if you can follow the new track to it's conclusion?

Going full improv after so much planning wouldn't be good for you, I don't think.

'zenihzwei' pid='815928' dateline='1476190097' Wrote: I think midterm is putting a toll on my mind.

I agree. Take a break. Relax.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBBfC8FY70c&index=1&list=PLPdJIpbJfgiR-pZysJ7nM9TjiJ-X-MH1Q

This is a playlist of an accomplished writer giving a lecture on how to write a fantasy book.

It may help you understand why you are in a slump or it may give you inspiration on what you need to do with your book.

Nobody is saying that you need to write your book the way he is teaching but it may help you organize your book/thoughts better.

'OminusWind' pid='816250' dateline='1476461952' Wrote: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBBfC8FY70c&index=1&list=PLPdJIpbJfgiR-pZysJ7nM9TjiJ-X-MH1Q

This is a playlist of an accomplished writer giving a lecture on how to write a fantasy book.

It may help you understand why you are in a slump or it may give you inspiration on what you need to do with your book.

Nobody is saying that you need to write your book the way he is teaching but it may help you organize your book/thoughts better.

An interesting resource. I'll see what I can do as soon as I finished resting my mind.

'zenihzwei' pid='815417' dateline='1475757300' Wrote: And so... Just like what the title means. I'm in a very difficult position since I've been inactive from writing the continuation of my original stories. Honesty, I might have seen this coming but...

I'm in a stump.

It's the first time ideas stopped churning out from my mind. While that is not impossible to overcome, my fingers stopped when my eyes swam to read the story from another perspective. It's just... How should I say it? It has turned way too convoluted? The pristine white paper I thought as brand new turned to be a recycled, low-durability one?

The problems I found began from basic premises to technical sides like grammar and characterization. And as I read further and further, the mistakes became so glaring my heart ached. The amount is... Copious enough that the story can already be classified as 'bad writing example #3'.

In any case, I need help. At this point, my paths will probably be divided into:
1) keep going
2) rewrite from zero
3) nuke 'em all!

...thus, I need to know. Is each choice worth of doing? Especially number 2? I think it will help getting me out from this hellhole I never stepped into until now if I could hear the opinions from those who have faced this atrocious devil...

This is the type of question which only you, as the author, can answer.  I've ended up choosing all three options over time with my writings, and each are perfectly valid decisions.

If you look at my story The 8th Day, you'll see that it's a massive undertaking...  I was 3 books into the story, with over 180,000 words written, and a massive following of readers  (The 8th Day was #1 monthly story here at RRL last year, back in December) -- and I dropped the story for a complete rewrite.

The reason for that choice?

*I* wasn't happy with the way my story was unfolding.  I'd told it in first person view, buried a ton of subtle little hints and foreshadowing into the story hoping the readers would enjoy finding them -- and then found out the approach wasn't working. As a web serialization, released chapter by chapter, readers couldn't keep every small detail of the story fresh in their minds and missed all those subtle little shades which I was writing into the story.  It simply didn't work the way I'd wanted it to, serialized..

I'd considered wrapping it up and distributing it in novel form, but ran into technical difficulties there.  Tables look nice enough on the forums here inside a story and give it an unique style -- but they don't translate over to ebook format worth a hoot.  Tables are split in half.  Information such as color and style settings get skewed.  Epub doesn't even have a set standard for dealing with tables inside ereaders...  Technically, trying to turn those tables into properly a formatted e-book was just a complete PITA and not worth the hassle.

As a serialization, I couldn't do what I wanted with the story.  As a stand-alone series of novels, it was impossible to format nicely for all the e-readers out there...

So, I simply dropped it and let it sit for well over six months.  I pondered on what to do, polled my readers for opinions, and in the end, I decided to do a rewrite.  I wanted to change from first person perspective to a more open third person.  I wanted to drop the tables.  I wanted to format it so I could sell it and perhaps make a few $$$ from it to help reimburse me for my time and effort.

180,000 words, three books into the story, and I dropped it for a complete rewrite.  :P

And, I don't regret the decision at all.  Game On is my spiritual successor to The 8th Day and I'm much happier with the way the story is developing and progressing this time around.  The perspective is 3rd person, allowing me a lot more freedom of writing, and the first story has been finished.  Even more importantly, I've got the story up over at Amazon (Game On) and it's sold several hundred copies already, helping to keep money in my pocket and my bills paid.

Some other stories, I've plugged along, pushing to the end, refusing to stop for anything.  Good story, bad story, I be damned story, it's a tale I just needed to tell no matter what!  Dreambreaker is one of these...  It's just a story that got stuck in my head and absolutely demanded I release it.  Whether it's good, bad, or ugly, it needed to be written just to be purged.  It's one that I'll keep going with, even if all the readers in the world end up running away from it and screaming, "Something wrong with that dude!"  :D

As for the nuke it all option, I've did that as well.  I wrote prolifically as a teen and young adult, and even sent a story to Stephen King once and had him send me back a check for $50.00 and a letter of encouragement.  I had a few stories published in local magazines and papers, and then submitted one to a publishing house...  

And the respond I got back was less than appealing.  Apparently the editor wasn't pulling any punches and everything was a blur of disappointment.  At the time, I took it personally and simply sat down my pen and walked away.  I didn't realize at that point that people won't bother to respond and comment, unless there's something which they find worthwhile in your work...

I was young and I was foolish.  I started chasing girls, enjoying life, and being extremely active doing other things.  I got married, had a daughter, and raised her.  I basically was so busy with everything else that it really was a case of "nuke them all".  All my writings simply got sat aside and unbothered for almost twenty years.

And, once again, I don't regret that decision at all.  I enjoyed experiencing life, raising a family, having adventures and expanding my mind and my horizons.  I was too busy to write, and I can't say I regret it at all...

Then my daughter got married.  I hurt my back and got disabled, unable to work on the farm and do the active things I used to do.  i suddenly found myself with a lot of free time once again -- which I filled at first with other people's writings, TV shows, anime, manga, and movies..

But then the desire returned once more: I wanted to tell my own tales instead of just listening to everyone else tell theirs...

So I picked up the pen once again (well, the keyboard at this time in my life), and started writing once more -- and I've published works, sold them, and managed to suppliment my income with something that I'm passionate about!  

Stop and rewrite -- this is a valid thing to do, if it seems suitable to you.
Continue on, no matter what -- this is a valid thing to do, if it's what you want to do.
Sit it all down and walk away -- this too is a perfectly valid choice.

Only YOU know which one is right for you and your story.  Choose the one which you like the most and remember that your decision isn't set in stone.  As long as you're alive, you can always change your choice.

You can do as I did and walk away completely -- then come back twenty years later.  You can drop a story, do a rewrite, and then go back and work on the original once again if you feel like it. (Which, I honestly might end up doing with The 8th Day yet...)  You can carry on and not worry about any mistakes you made...

Every choice is correct, as long as it's the choice that makes you happy as an author -- and every choice is flexible and you're able to alter your decision at any time.

Simply do what's best for you and your writing.  No one else can tell you what that is; that's one of the things you have to decide on your own.  :D

'Darkbringer' pid='816812' dateline='1476982028' Wrote: Simply do what's best for you and your writing.  No one else can tell you what that is; that's one of the things you have to decide on your own.  :D

I agree. All we can do is offer advice.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

I've been having the same problem with my stories. Writer's block happens to almost all writers at one time or another. Other than what other people think about the story are you still passionate about it if so then you should continue one way or another. If you can't write the main story try using writing exercises like do a silly interview with each character having each answer the way you feel their character would. This will not only help get your creative juices flowing but will also help develop the characters personalities and make them and their mannerisms more clear in your mind. You could also write information about the culture, architecture, clothing, and art of a city or country in the world of your story. This would help with world building and make details easier to put in the actual story. You could also ask an artist for a couple character sketches or something to help you visualize.

Try making an outline of your story including the theme tagline and summary. Both write what you had originally planned and also what actually happened and then you might be able to fix what you want without re-writing the whole thing but just the worst parts.

Of course I say all this and tried most of it and still have writer's block but maybe it will help you more than it helped me I AM a bit lazy so I probably am not trying or working as hard as I could. Good luck.

my suggestion:

you are stuck on the plot and can't write further: outline the steps to get to your next goal, event, power, plot twist, climax or conclusion. If that fails, work backwards until they meet or an idea pops up to move forward again.
story need repairs: if you got the energy to do it great, otherwise leave it and pay some editor later if you gonna sell it.
you have the outline and cant continue from where you are stuck: write a part in the future as a rough draft for later. I found getting a scene I had in mind out of the way let me put a few words down before I had room for new ideas at the spot I had been stuck in.

exhausted: take a day off from writing, no one says you have to write x or y or z number of pages every day. sure it is great to get into a good habit. many of use slack too much as it is. still burn out before we reach pro level is possible you know.

afraid to put the next scene into words: write a version you only write for yourself. then write the painful version, the needed one that totally is boring but acceptable to put out.

was something you just wrote bad or bothering you: quick self review of the last page or two, fix things then try again.

I can't think up any other big traumas a writer might have at this point good luck with your writing, darklings

Uhm. Thank you everyone for the assistance. I'm happy get a variation of inputs to widen my horizon. And so...

'Darkbringer' pid='816812' dateline='1476982028' Wrote: Every choice is correct, as long as it's the choice that makes you happy as an author -- and every choice is flexible and you're able to alter your decision at any time.

Simply do what's best for you and your writing. No one else can tell you what that is; that's one of the things you have to decide on your own. :D

'Bokuboy' pid='816813' dateline='1476983441' Wrote: I agree. All we can do is offer advice.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

'Legendary' pid='818514' dateline='1479920515' Wrote: 4) Make a plan

they are usually called storyboards or outlines. After you make one, use it to decide whether you should restart or continue on.

'Nyururin' pid='820597' dateline='1484648011' Wrote: Still don't know what to write?

'Gaiadarkstar' pid='820728' dateline='1484952029' Wrote: I've been having the same problem with my stories. Writer's block happens to almost all writers at one time or another. Other than what other people think about the story are you still passionate about it if so then you should continue one way or another. If you can't write the main story try using writing exercises like do a silly interview with each character having each answer the way you feel their character would. This will not only help get your creative juices flowing but will also help develop the characters personalities and make them and their mannerisms more clear in your mind. You could also write information about the culture, architecture, clothing, and art of a city or country in the world of your story. This would help with world building and make details easier to put in the actual story. You could also ask an artist for a couple character sketches or something to help you visualize.

Try making an outline of your story including the theme tagline and summary. Both write what you had originally planned and also what actually happened and then you might be able to fix what you want without re-writing the whole thing but just the worst parts.

Of course I say all this and tried most of it and still have writer's block but maybe it will help you more than it helped me I AM a bit lazy so I probably am not trying or working as hard as I could. Good luck.

'midnight2six' pid='821306' dateline='1486510542' Wrote: my suggestion:

you are stuck on the plot and can't write further: outline the steps to get to your next goal, event, power, plot twist, climax or conclusion. If that fails, work backwards until they meet or an idea pops up to move forward again.
story need repairs: if you got the energy to do it great, otherwise leave it and pay some editor later if you gonna sell it.
you have the outline and cant continue from where you are stuck: write a part in the future as a rough draft for later. I found getting a scene I had in mind out of the way let me put a few words down before I had room for new ideas at the spot I had been stuck in.

exhausted: take a day off from writing, no one says you have to write x or y or z number of pages every day. sure it is great to get into a good habit. many of use slack too much as it is. still burn out before we reach pro level is possible you know.

afraid to put the next scene into words: write a version you only write for yourself. then write the painful version, the needed one that totally is boring but acceptable to put out.

was something you just wrote bad or bothering you: quick self review of the last page or two, fix things then try again.

I can't think up any other big traumas a writer might have at this point good luck with your writing, darklings

Mhmm. I've decided that I will keep pushing forward! Well, I know not of what the future will bring but regardless of the story ending in giant flame or not, I believe it best to aim for a full completion. Only after the story end will I do another rewrite, since it will give me more leeways and time to process everything. But aside from that, I can't allow myself to disappoint myself as an author.

It might be a case of pride but it is my responsibility as a writer to finish my writings. No matter how bad it is, the story I made is mine to do with. That's why I won't stop. I won't regret it even if people said it's bad either. That's fine. I will treat the good and bad as valuable lessons to learn to. Which is why... I will continue writing, all the way until the very end.