NTR vs netorare

So do people always think NTR is bad?

I wanted to clarify on the difference between being NTRed and NTRing others.

Like if you read a story where someone else takes your women of course everyone is mad and hates those authors. They probably don't realize they are on people's top 10 disliked people in the world lists.

But is it the same for when the MC is NTRing the harem members from others that don't deserve them? Here's an example...there could be a potential story arc where MC is rescuing members of the opposite sex from a mind control expert. Are there story situations where people want the MC to NTR someone else's people? 

Curious on perspective for this, thanks.

RE: NTR vs netorare

'naosu' pid='818253' dateline='1479345435' Wrote: So do people always think NTR is bad?

I wanted to clarify on the difference between being NTRed and NTRing others.

Like if you read a story where someone else takes your women of course everyone is mad and hates those authors. They probably don't realize they are on people's top 10 disliked people in the world lists.

But is it the same for when the MC is NTRing the harem members from others that don't deserve them? Here's an example...there could be a potential story arc where MC is rescuing members of the opposite sex from a mind control expert. Are there story situations where people want the MC to NTR someone else's people? 

Curious on perspective for this, thanks.

"everyone is mad and hates those authors." wat

Listen, I get shit all the time, and I mean ALL the time, about my fiction having NTR. Well, I'm here today to give my take on NTR.

NTR and Netori are two sides to the same coin. On one side, we have the MC, who is trying to get all his shit together while advancing in the plot of the novel. On the other side, we have the random guy, who we'll call RG for the rest of this explanation.

Say the love interest, LI, invites the MC to go to a cafe. She's already booked a table and paid the deposit. Well, MC has to save a bundle of kittens from a burning building and can't go. So, LI goes alone and meets RG. Somehow, LI goes with RG to a hotel and they passionately make love while the MC works his ass off to save those kittens from earlier.

In this situation, we can all agree that RG is a scumbag and LI is a slut. This is NTR gone wrong, and we hate all authors who use it. I hope LI and RG die in a fire, but not before MC learns of their actions.

So, another situation. LI invites the MC same as before, but MC blows her off so he can smoke pot under a bridge. LI and RG still meet up and thoroughly exhaust themselves before morning.

In this situation, the actions of LI and RG have not changed and MC is now the bad guy. This is good NTR and shows the MC has a flaw that can be improved. I hope LI has a successful relationship with RG.

So, another situation. LI invites the MC same as the two times before, and MC has to save the kitten, but, this time, RG kidnaps LI. RG rapes LI and gives her tons of drugs that make her love the dirty deed too much. Eventually, LI doesn't want to go back with LI even though she knows RG is a bad guy and she never hated MC.

So, what kind of NTR is this? LI is not at fault initially, but later enjoys it. MC is not at fault because he had a good reason to be away. This is all RG's fault.

This is the worst NTR. When NTR is done so that none of the main characters of the novel can do anything about it, or have prevented it at all, there is no excuse for not hating the author.

Could any amount of infatuation with the MC on the LI's part have prevented the NTR? Nope.
Could the MC not taking that 'save the kittens' task prevented the NTR? Unless the MC officially becomes the LI's babysitter, nope.

This kind of NTR is one that we cannot help but be infuriated at because we know nothing could have been done. The MC was a great person, the LI was a great person, but now it's all gone.

Sure, it can be brought back, but there isn't anything the MC or the LI has to change to make it happen. The MC and LI can do nothing other than continue on with their daily lives and hope things get better.

Netori, however, is only reversing the roles of the MC and the RG. Most Netori is done like the second example I listed above, at least in RRL fictions.

The most common Netori I can think of is from Xuanhuan novels. The MC talks to a princess who happens to be engaged to a bad guy, the princess becomes smitten with the perfection of the MC and dumps the bad guy to be with MC. Most people don't have anything wrong with this. Well, this is because the bad guy is exagurated.

We usually have examples of the bad guy whipping slaves for minor mistakes. We can understand why the princess would leave him. What if, however, the bad guy just brought the wrong kind of tea for the princess? The princess getting together with the MC is still Netori , but who is to blame?

It's the MC. We don't want to blame the MC, but he and the princess are to blame. We want to side with the MC, naturally, but he is a scumbag in this situation. The MC is a scumbag.

So, NTR and Netori are almost the same thing, but, because we have an inclination to approve the MC's actions, we are okay if he is NTR'ing somebody else. We would, however, not feel the same sentiment towards a random guy NTR'ing the MC.
"Hello everyone, allow me to introduce BrutusHans. Just when you thought you found a good story, he cuckolded the main character and you died of rage.

He only writes NTR, he'll never quit it. Even if his readers drop his stories, he'll never quit it.

And just when you couldn't handle any more of the NTR, he'll set up the most aggravating plot twist you've ever once witnessed.

He is an author to remember, BrutusHans." -Anonymous Person

'Brutus Hans' pid='818830' dateline='1480806965' Wrote: Listen, I get shit all the time, and I mean ALL the time, about my fiction having NTR. Well, I'm here today to give my take on NTR.

NTR and Netorare are two sides to the same coin. On one side, we have the MC, who is trying to get all his shit together while advancing in the plot of the novel. On the other side, we have the random guy, who we'll call RG for the rest of this explanation.

Say the love interest, LI, invites the MC to go to a cafe. She's already booked a table and paid the deposit. Well, MC has to save a bundle of kittens from a burning building and can't go. So, LI goes alone and meets RG. Somehow, LI goes with RG to a hotel and they passionately make love while the MC works his ass off to save those kittens from earlier.

In this situation, we can all agree that RG is a scumbag and LI is a slut. This is NTR gone wrong, and we hate all authors who use it. I hope LI and RG die in a fire, but not before MC learns of their actions.

So, another situation. LI invites the MC same as before, but MC blows her off so he can smoke pot under a bridge. LI and RG still meet up and thoroughly exhaust themselves before morning.

In this situation, the actions of LI and RG have not changed and MC is now the bad guy. This is good NTR and shows the MC has a flaw that can be improved. I hope LI has a successful relationship with RG.

So, another situation. LI invites the MC same as the two times before, and MC has to save the kitten, but, this time, RG kidnaps LI. RG rapes LI and gives her tons of drugs that make her love the dirty deed too much. Eventually, LI doesn't want to go back with LI even though she knows RG is a bad guy and she never hated MC.

So, what kind of NTR is this? LI is not at fault initially, but later enjoys it. MC is not at fault because he had a good reason to be away. This is all RG's fault.

This is the worst NTR. When NTR is done so that none of the main characters of the novel can do anything about it, or have prevented it at all, there is no excuse for not hating the author.

Could any amount of infatuation with the MC on the LI's part have prevented the NTR? Nope.
Could the MC not taking that 'save the kittens' task prevented the NTR? Unless the MC officially becomes the LI's babysitter, nope.

This kind of NTR is one that we cannot help but be infuriated at because we know nothing could have been done. The MC was a great person, the LI was a great person, but now it's all gone.

Sure, it can be brought back, but there isn't anything the MC or the LI has to change to make it happen. The MC and LI can do nothing other than continue on with their daily lives and hope things get better.

Netorare, however, is only reversing the roles of the MC and the RG. Most netorare is done like the second example I listed above, at least in RRL fictions.

The most common netorare I can think of is from Xuanhuan novels. The MC talks to a princess who happens to be engaged to a bad guy, the princess becomes smitten with the perfection of the MC and dumps the bad guy to be with MC. Most people don't have anything wrong with this. Well, this is because the bad guy is exagurated.

We usually have examples of the bad guy whipping slaves for minor mistakes. We can understand why the princess would leave him. What if, however, the bad guy just brought the wrong kind of tea for the princess? The princess getting together with the MC is still netorare, but who is to blame?

It's the MC. We don't want to blame the MC, but he and the princess are to blame. We want to side with the MC, naturally, but he is a scumbag in this situation. The MC is a scumbag.

So, NTR and netorare are almost the same thing, but, because we have an inclination to approve the MC's actions, we are okay if he is NTR'ing somebody else. We would, however, not feel the same sentiment towards a random guy NTR'ing the MC.

Huh, I was sure NTR was just the abbreviation of Netorare.

In any case, the NTR/Netorare I desire is something along the lines of Heroine getting stolen from MC by RG and loving it. Then MC goes full alpha and conquers both Heroine and RG.

'Siatru' pid='818836' dateline='1480813397' Wrote: Huh, I was sure NTR was just the abbreviation of Netorare.

In any case, the NTR/Netorare I desire is something along the lines of Heroine getting stolen from MC by RG and loving it. Then MC goes full alpha and conquers both Heroine and RG.

I respect that.
I gotz these blankets and this thing right there.
*Points at novel* The Legendary Aegis

'Siatru' pid='818836' dateline='1480813397' Wrote:
'Brutus Hans' pid='818830' dateline='1480806965' Wrote: Listen, I get shit all the time, and I mean ALL the time, about my fiction having NTR. Well, I'm here today to give my take on NTR.

NTR and Netorare are two sides to the same coin. On one side, we have the MC, who is trying to get all his shit together while advancing in the plot of the novel. On the other side, we have the random guy, who we'll call RG for the rest of this explanation.

Netorare, however, is only reversing the roles of the MC and the RG. Most netorare is done like the second example I listed above, at least in RRL fictions.

The most common netorare I can think of is from Xuanhuan novels. The MC talks to a princess who happens to be engaged to a bad guy, the princess becomes smitten with the perfection of the MC and dumps the bad guy to be with MC. Most people don't have anything wrong with this. Well, this is because the bad guy is exagurated.

We usually have examples of the bad guy whipping slaves for minor mistakes. We can understand why the princess would leave him. What if, however, the bad guy just brought the wrong kind of tea for the princess? The princess getting together with the MC is still netorare, but who is to blame?

So, NTR and netorare are almost the same thing, but, because we have an inclination to approve the MC's actions, we are okay if he is NTR'ing somebody else. We would, however, not feel the same sentiment towards a random guy NTR'ing the MC.

I don't know about NTR and Netorare exactly, but one of those Japanese words means the opposite of NTR. I can't remember if it's netorare or not, so I've just been calling it that.
"Hello everyone, allow me to introduce BrutusHans. Just when you thought you found a good story, he cuckolded the main character and you died of rage.

He only writes NTR, he'll never quit it. Even if his readers drop his stories, he'll never quit it.

And just when you couldn't handle any more of the NTR, he'll set up the most aggravating plot twist you've ever once witnessed.

Why would people hate the author? All events and all characters exist for the sole purpose of advancing the underlying plotline and expressing the themes of the story. If you wanted to hate someone, wouldn't you hate the RG? The hate towards the author seems a bit misdirected...

'Brutus Hans' pid='818858' dateline='1480857114' Wrote: I don't know about NTR and Netorare exactly, but one of those Japanese words means the opposite of NTR. I can't remember if it's netorare or not, so I've just been calling it that.
NTR is short for Netorare and that's the act of someone stealing the loved one(s) from the (passive) protagonist. The opposite of NTR/Netorare is called Netori, where the protagonist actively steals the loved ones away.

'ToBeAndNotToBe' pid='818866' dateline='1480878019' Wrote: Why would people hate the author?
Many japanese stories (and hentai) are "self insert stories" with bland MCs. The hate for NTR mostly comes those stories who does NTR "against the overall theme" or "without warning". So it indirectly hurts the reader who just wanted to have a feel good story. There are actually stories with second endings because the fanbase went completely nuts over bad stuff and forced the author to write a new happy one...

And while there are quite a few good stories with NTR it's mostly the fear of "unexpected deep hits" that shows in the hate for NTR. There were actually authors who willingly destroyed their 10+ volumes series just to fuck with the readers. To prevent that they actually started new publishers who actively used those stories while many authors now have to sign things like "no NTR"-conditions so that the publishers won't lose more trust...

'Siatru' pid='818836' dateline='1480813397' Wrote:

NTR is just the appreviation of Netorare. He's probably thinking about netori, where the MC does the stealing.

'ToBeAndNotToBe' pid='818929' dateline='1480981564' Wrote:
'LostLibrarian' pid='818868' dateline='1480879488' Wrote: [There were actually authors who willingly destroyed their 10+ volumes series just to fuck with the readers.

That's dedication. :o

Ever wonder why Hero Status: Revoked is a 2.5 star? Well, not me..... (:

I'm an NTR fan. I much prefer NTR to bland do nothing MCs who white knight their way into wish fulfillment. I'm a non-vocal minority. My problem with NTR is it's just as objectifying of women as the bland romances it counters. Take RE:Zero, a scummy worthless MC white knights so hard he closes off every timeline except the one that forces the princess to be with him. I would have such a power boner if the series ended and instead the real knight who actually worked hard all his life to achieve his goals whisks away the girl while the bland MC cries himself in shame. But that won't happen because men in Japan are culturally neutered and the shows creators wouldnt make money fleecing them if they felt their beta fantasies were threatened.

While I like NTR, I overall usually prefer sex as written by women, it's usually more intimate and visceral and there's less boobs over 9000. Female authors instead of focusing on the 3 stats usually hash out secrets, betrayals, and emotional turmoil. I feel the way they prime that pump can be just as objectifying, but the end result I still feel like they are able to focus on the way the characters relate to each other.

Writing about realistic relationships rather than flat wish fulfillment is non-trivially hard though. So since I can't expect it from most authors, I settle for the wish-fulfillment that is most tittilating (or least offensive) to me.

For instance, Naosu, you've basically turned your harem in How do you kidnap... into crack whores. Pheromone response and Sex are chemical processes, and your MC has introduced addictive additives to both that make his harem crave him to the point of suicide. While I think it's hot as fuck that he's slowly breaking his mentors mind and can reduce her to a quivering orgasmic pile just by stealling kisses from her, the whole storyline is slowly edging out any semblance of choice or rational thought in any pretty girl he gomes across.

This tends to flatten the character dynamic. There's no sense of seduction, as the attraction is a forgone conclusion. I'm actually highly anticipating his attenpts to sexually dominate the doppelganger because at least it should introduce some element of struggle (hopefully).

A female author would have spent a lot more energy plumbing the depths of the emotional conflicts inherent in the situations you created. Fulfillment and addiction and safety can all be powerful motivators for potentially nuanced interactions more than just how much big boobs flop. Hell, your MC's kid sister (practically his reason d'etre) destroys her own very identity in a sequence of events straight out of a body horror thriller to switch places with the women she envies (who herself gets reduced from a conflicted adult to a sexual zombie). There are so many missed opportunities there for gratifying emotional complexity it hurts. But, I'll probably still read just to see the kitsune and doppelganger get broken.

Hello, I'm just going to give my 2 cents regarding this topic and also hopefully clear some misconceptions.
My work has also been accused several times of including or reaching a NTR moment. Since I didn't think that was true, I had to go through an extensive research (dictionaries, online definiton forums etc) to find out what in the what NTR even means. Yeah, NTR also stands in for a certain Irish construction company as well as a historic railway in Canada. In economics, it stands for National Trade Relations. It stands for a certain chemical receptor in biology, another technical one in engineering, so yeah, the exact term is not NTR, it's Netorare, which is also a japanese slang that in word by word translation into English would mean: husband of an adulterous wife.

Now here's the common misconception, and please pay attention.
It's not Netorare by definition UNLESS the cheating wife falls in love with the man or woman with whom she commited an adulterous act.
In other words these conditions:
1) The Woman (Love Interest, LI) is in a romantic relationship with a Man (the Main Character, MC), Yes, both must be aware of each other's feelings, have accepted it and want to be together.
2) Another character (usually the Antagonist) comes along and flirts and seduces the LI.
3) LI MUST fall in love wiht the Antagonist.
4) LI will break up with MC and continue her relationship with the Antagonist.

All of these are MANDATORY conditions, otherwise it will be something else. IF she doesn't like it, she doesn't want to be in a relationship with the Antagonist but is forced to (drugs, brainswash, anything that's remotely related to influencing the way she thinks, yes even blackmail counts). That's either sexual harassement (if they never get down to it) or rape by any and all Dictionary definitons and international laws < seriously go and read the international definition on what counts as rape and under what circumstances an individual is accused of such. THIS is far worse than NTR... a LOT.

If ONLY the MC was in love with her, but she never was in love with him, then it's a ONE SIDED love and doesn't MATTER with whom she falls in love with. Being the MC does not grant him the absolute right to have his LI fall for him. To be NTR, she has to fall in love or already be in love with the MC, want to be in a relationship with him, BEFORE she meets the Antagonist who steals her heart.

So yeah, get your definitions straight, tag your novel appropriately, and seriously... don't confuse NTR with Rape or Sexual Harassement. The latter are illegal, while the first is acceptable by the law.

Also, in forums don't forget to remain civil and act upon the rules. :)
PeoReading  Feel free to check out my website for the latest chapters, news about what I'm currently writing, and how I'm doing in general. thesylthorian.com

For me as long as something as a clear reason and makes sense for the story it doesn't bother me too much but if it's just random or the author seems to be doing it to make people frustrated on purpose I hate it. I don't really care who is stealing who's lover as long as they are happy. I am a romantic so I want the people who love each other to end up together. I read on story that was all about NTR where the girl was being forced because of money or other bullying tactics to stay. I hate crap like that. I don't like unreasonable seemingly impossible scenarios where no one end up happy except maybe the bad guy. I guess I just really like happy endings.

So whoever steals who to me isn't the problem it is if they are in love or not and if they end up happy or not.