Should I Post an Unfinished Story?

Hello All!
So this is my first post and as you can see, my account is fairly new. I've been surfing these pages for a while now but I want to try my hand at writing something too.
Which is where my question lies. Should I post chapters as I write, or should I write and then simply dump them? I feel like posting as I write may motivate me to write further but at the same time - due to a host of reasons - I know for a fact I won't be able to keep a stable release schedule.
I don't fully understand the pros and cons of either option and I was wondering if someone could shed some light.
Thank you!

RE: Should I Post an Unfinished Story?

From a purely professional standard, always maintain a consistency in your release schedule. From every other standard, it really doesn't matter. You're writing for fun aren't you? Then don't worry so much about these details. Post regularly if you want to, or post in bulk, but don't stress about it. Once you start stressing, it'll stop being fun, and you'll be bound to drop it anyway. So just focus on the fun part!

'ShiftyCake' pid='819044' dateline='1481261486' Wrote: From a purely professional standard, always maintain a consistency in your release schedule. From every other standard, it really doesn't matter. You're writing for fun aren't you? Then don't worry so much about these details. Post regularly if you want to, or post in bulk, but don't stress about it. Once you start stressing, it'll stop being fun, and you'll be bound to drop it anyway. So just focus on the fun part!

Okay. Thanks for the advice! I think I'll go ahead and post. It'll be nice to get input as I write, I'l likely improve faster that way. This is just a side story to the one I've been nursing for a while now anyway. I'll start the real one once I figure out this author business (as much as I can anyway).

First of all, welcome to Royal Road!

'Lucifer M.' pid='819028' dateline='1481222175' Wrote: Which is where my question lies. Should I post chapters as I write, or should I write and then simply dump them?

I strongly recommend that you write a pool of chapters (let's say a dozen?) and then release a few times per week while writing more chapters. Consistent releases is one of the keys to success on Royal Road, and having a buffer of chapters to fall back on really helps.

For example... If you get sick, have to go on a trip, are swamped with work/school, or have a writer's block--you'll still have chapters that you can post until you're out of whatever funk you've found yourself in.

For several months I was releasing chapters as I wrote them. 8,000-10,000 every 2-3 days. It ends up being exhausting, especially without a buffer to fall back on when I'm not feeling well enough to write.

If you can, try to come up with 1-3 set days per week that you can update your story, and stick to it. When you're not posting (or busy with other things) continue writing to make sure you don't lose your "buffer." This also gives you time to edit chapters before posting.
Looking for stuff to read? Click below to navigate to my stories.

https://i.imgur.com/r6iTizF.jpg

I already uploaded the first chapter :/
Also to be honest, I'm not really looking for my story to be 'successful' on RRL. I just want some constructive feedback as I write because this is the first time I'm doing something like this. Hoping that my very first story becomes popular is a little conceited. I feel like getting feedback for every chapter I write can ensure the next one comes out better,

The link - http://royalroadl.com/fiction/9559

I'm torn on the same question XD

Part of me, like you, wants to get the feedback, but the other part of me wonders if my ego could handle any hardcore trolling while it's half-written. I'm pretty thick skinned, but even the best can be knocked off their motivation with a surgical sentence or two.

Then again, it's also probably better to find out your story is bad after completing chapter 10, rather than after you've already written the final chapter.

I myself personally prefer posting chapters as I write. I need to know that someone is reading the story for me to be motivated enough to continue writing. It also allows you to get feedback and improve the story. As WirlWind said, it is better to learn if your story is 'bad' after completing the first few chapters than finding this out after you have written the entire story.
Like Fantasy and Xianxia? Want a story that combines elements of Eastern and Western fantasy fiction? Check out my new story: Tales of Heroes and Demons

So, just my 2c on my own experiences after actually finally posting some chapters -

"Holy hell, I'm panicking! I hope people don't trash it..."

followed by...

"Oh hey, that dude said the part I was most worried about was ok... Oh god, now I have to go back to writing more!"

then...

"ARGH I CAN'T EVEN LOOK AT THE DASHBOARD! I need to go eat some ice-cream..."

and now...

"I need to start writing again, stop procrastinating by looking at comments! Oh look, my post had a reply!"

I partially regret releasing some, but that's mostly just because I'm an overly anxious person.