Are readers spoiled?

I find myself asking myself if readers are too spoiled lately. (Not the site, not the admins, but just readers having too much access to many stories in tv and books easily with little effort, so the attitude becomes like...[oh sigh* not another action novel to read*] instead of yippee this story has xxx,xxx views and xxx chapters!)

Recently I only had 1 chapter in a part A and part B that was non-combat and they were complaining about it. 

My hell it was only 1 non-combat chapter....and they couldn't handle it. Every other chapter was action. But just 1 chapter having some non-action dialogue for much of it they seriously freaked out. And I didn't even have any NTR or tragedy...

The little turncoats attack the one feeding them at no provocation. 

I find myself wondering if its even worth putting up chapters on this site. I think reader attitudes don't see that stories take work and then they go pee on it and wonder why we stop giving them stuff to read. We don't write so they can complain about it.

And having said that I know some other guy is going to try and spin it into my ruler is bigger than your ruler, so you must have something wrong with your ruler; instead of asking the fundamental question on why reader attitudes to proven good stories can be so hypocritical sometimes. 

disclaimer; this is not an attack on royal road or its admins. only intended to help fix reader attitudes and awareness. :)

RE: Are readers spoiled?

'naosu' pid='819187' dateline='1481618709' Wrote: The little turncoats attack the one feeding them at no provocation.
Calling your readers turncoats is a pretty big "[censored] you all!" from a writer. And from one with a pretty solid "fanbase".
And I also have to disagree with it. Changing the way your story goes will always make some people happy and others mad. But they aren't turncoats for it. So how many readers did you lost with the following chapters? How many didn't come back for more? And what's the percentage loss to your average views? That would be an interesting foundation for your point...

'naosu' pid='819187' dateline='1481618709' Wrote: We don't write so they can complain about it.
I actually do write openly so that others can complain about it. And that's the reason I want to publish my next story here and not on amazon for $0.99 with the hope for 10 buyers. The reason to put out stuff openly is so that others can see it easily for free. You probably wouldn't have those view counts otherwise. And those readers will love your story, hate your story, praise it and complain about it and that's it. If you can't live with the free hate, don't go and look for the free love... take everything and maybe - just maybe - you find a tiny little thing where you can actually grow as writer.

'naosu' pid='819187' dateline='1481618709' Wrote: And having said that I know some other guy is going to try and spin it into my ruler is bigger than your ruler, so you must have something wrong with your ruler; instead of asking the fundamental question on why reader attitudes to proven good stories can be so hypocritical sometimes.
Going out openly to say "My story it proven good, so only the readers are at fault and everyone else doesn't get the point!" sounds so arrogant, I'm honestly looking at your android-story (btw recommended by one of your turncoats) on my watchlist, thinking whether I should just delete it and try some unknown story. Because there's this one urge to answer this friendly written "[censored] all!" in kind...

First of all, I would like to inform you that you are not alone in your frustration as a writer. Many of us have been there. 

The old saying "You cannot please everybody" is a simple yet a hard medicine to swallow. Try to understand that no matter how good you are as a writer, people will have a problem with what you write- It's part of life! Readers who have something bad to say about your work, fellow writers who consider you as a competition instead of a colleague and bring you down, publishers who've seen hundreds, if not thousands of other works, and not find your own work original, admins who've seen your problem before and seems uninterested... These are  things that will continue forever as long as you consider yourself as a writer.

I suggest a more positive approach in how you look at the world around you. Half glass full, instead of half glass empty. If a professor teaches a class for more than 30 minutes and in the end of the lesson he asked a question and only 2 people raised their hands to answer, it doesn't mean that only two people are actually listening. 

It is the same with comments. Those who are complaining doesn't represent your entire fanbase, they are simply just the loudest. So don't lash out against everyone. People are complaining because your last few chapters are peaceful? It only means that people find your action scenes interesting and can't wait for more! 

I used to hate people who nitpicked on my work and finding the smallest fault in my story, and then I realized that these are the people who actually read my story, analyze them and actually think about it. What more can you ask? I'm sorry but I haven't read your story yet simply because I don't have the time to binge read. But I can see that you have a reputation above 300. For most users, it doesn't mean anything, but for me, it tells me that there are people out there who consider you a good author, so why not write for those people instead?

Do what the last dude recommend, CHEER UP! Take a deep breath, smile, do some yoga, play with your pet, go out on a date with your special someone, exercise and generally forget about the bad vibes in RRL, and when you are ready, come back and write for those special few who likes your story and remember the simple joy of being a writer.  :have_a_nice_day:
Check my fictions
"Invincible"
"Gamer of the Dead"
And the newest  "Slam No Basuke"

I'm not gonna say a lot, except for this.

Readers do not owe you ANYTHING.
They Chose to read your story or not. It's your job to PERSUADE them to invest their time in your story.

You behave as if you are entitled enough that people should read your work.
Well, if that's gonna be your attitude with anything, you aren't gonna get anywhere

You do know that readers for the most part don't use the general forums, right? Even if you post a message targeted at your readers here, they will never see it. That's probably for the best though, as they'll be offended by your comments.

It's one of the downsides of releasing a chapter at a time rather than releasing a block of chapters at once, readers get in the mood of things, and then all of a sudden it's cut off.

'Aucis Josh' pid='822297' dateline='1489442873' Wrote: No publicity is bad publicity.

Not necessarily. If you have really bad publicity, then loads of people will down-vote your fiction, thus wrecking any chances of you going up the top lists. Not to mention, that that publicity will quickly fade, while those negative ratings will remain dragging it down.

@Azreal Sure, doesn't look like that on youtube. All these vids with 2mil dislikes gets a lot of attention, similar here, if you remember what happened with RE:Dragon or something like that. His next works were just as big, RE:Trump and the like. He did better stuff but his fics that got a lot of hate went big no reason to sugar coat it.
Group Leader of -PenDragon
Group member of - DOM

Main Project - king of nox

Retired stories - Metior (OneShot), RE:God  (Writing), The King of Avarice (TKA) (Hiatus), Memories in Purgatory (OneShot)