Beautiful words (native english speaker well come ^^)

Hi, the title says it all, but I'll give a bit of introduction:
I originally speak french, but I want to improve my vocabulary richness in english since I'm trying to write^^, and why not ask the community?
So my intend is to give anyone interested in beautiful english or improvement in its vocabulary a post to look at.

So the form is like so: 

"word : definition"

What I mean by "beautiful words" is words that sounds pedant, pleasant words to hear or read, words with deep meaning, It can be anything, no discrimination on that part^^
If you want to use foreign words please add the english pronounciation, please no phonetic alphabet.

I'll start:

Transience : quality of being transient, of lasting a short time
Fluttering: from "to flutter", to fly unsteadly or hover by flapping wings quickly and lightly
Embroidery: handicraft of decorating fabric or other materials with needle and thread or yarnn

RE: Beautiful words (native english speaker well come ^^)

I'd say:

Fulgor: Pretty much brightness. I've seen cases in which it's used like enthusiasm.

Zest: This also means enthusiasm. Great enthusiasm. Gusto.

Zenith: It's the time when someone or something it at it's stronger. It's peak. It's highest, brightest point.

Halcyon: calm, peaceful, happy. Most commonly used in the expression "halcyon days".

Ephemeral: momentary. Lasts for only a few moments.

I think you are missing the point. It's not so much that you need to use complicated words, it's that you need to use words that specifically describe your intent. I could say "get that thing up" or I could say "Please, lift your plate" one is vague and hard to follow, the other is specific and descriptive.

Most readers aren't running for a dictionary every time they come across a word they don't know. It breaks immersion.

Most people have two vocabularies. The first ones are the words they use more frequently, the second are the words they understand, but are too hard to use in common conversation. Writers need to use the second vocabulary. In other words, use words everyone knows, but normally don't speak.

specific and descriptive words that everyone knows. That is the goal you need to set.

Hmm... I thought the purpose was to write words that sounded good?  You know, beautiful words.  If the original purpose was indeed extremely useful words that can hold the meaning of many words in one and still carry the message across properly, then indeed, the words I chose were indeed wrong. In fact, I could have come up with many more words that fit those criteria. Alas, this was not was written in the thread.

Also, I don't see how the words I posted require usage of the dictionary. Certainly, halcyon and zenith can be somewhat tricky—albeit cool-sounding—but the other ones are what I assume to be part of a normal civilian's vocabulary (English is not my main language, and I have yet to live in an English-speaking country, so I'm afraid I'm truly clueless in that regard). Nevertheless,  zest, fulgor, and ephemeral are not unusual, and I don't see how they could be complicated to an English-speaker.

Though, I have to agree with you. What a writer should aim for are simple words known by the masses, yet utilizing them in a way in which they can perfectly get their meaning across with elegance and sharpness. At least, that's what I aim for, even if I am yet to post a story on this website.  However, I don't see the harm of using a fancy word every once in a while. Personally, I like to to see new words when reading a story, as my vocabulary improves, but even for those that feel no urge to increase the vocabulary, they can still understand the meaning sentence or paragraph even if they don't recognize some of the words used. It also adds a kind of flair or even a certain charm to the writing, but again, it can't be used constantly. Not only that, those special words must be used correctly, lest people would think that you just got a random, fancy word from a dictionary, which happens more often than not.

Therefore, before using a beautiful—or fancy—word, one must know see examples of it being used, and use it in the correct place and time to trigger the best of results. At the same time, be careful not to seem like a pompous bastard who likes to flaunt his or hers vocabulary, but also make sure not to seem like a noob who randomly uses fancy words. Seldom use fancy words, maybe once every five or six chapters, but when you do, make it count.

Re.

Well the aim of the post was not to make a lexical for foreigners. I just wanted people to give words they found good to hear or funny (because they are old and sound pedant). If I put "embroidery" as an example it was just because I liked the sound of it, just that.
Also the "definition part" of the form I gave is just that in case people see unknown words they can understand it (most likely if the word is old and pedant).
So the aim wasn't to give people a sheet of vocabulary to study or I dunno...

edit: after re-reading my post I think I expressed it wrong. At first the post was more a fun game, but if there are words I don't know then of course I'll need to check the use in examples, but the definition can help to direct the intuition.

blacksages.