Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

Aleron Kong is trying to trademark the term LitRPG

No need to fret, said application has been refused on 5 or 6 different points:
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?cas...x=1&page=1

In short, you cannot trademark a genre, subgenre or a word that's used to describe the feature of something (even if the genre is not commonly accepted).
(24-02-17, 10:38 PM)kanadaj Wrote: No need to fret, said application has been refused on 5 or 6 different points:
http://tsdr.uspto.gov/documentviewer?cas...x=1&page=1

In short, you cannot trademark a genre, subgenre or a word that's used to describe the feature of something (even if the genre is not commonly accepted).

The document seems pretty definitive, but he has several months to prepare a rebuttal so it's good to keep tabs on this.
@David, after this I'm 100% sure he either won't make a repercussion and if he does he will fail again.
Group Leader of -PenDragon
Group member of - DOM
Writer of - Metior (OneShot), RE:God  (Writing), The King of Avarice (TKA) (Hiatus), Memories in Purgatory (OneShot)

He's currently calling himself the "father of litRPG".. does anyone have a problem with this or is it just me? he is not the one who popularized litRPG, that belongs to D.Rus even though his books fall off the deep end.  Frankly, I think it's disgusting how a very par author is pronouncing himself king
He can call himself whatever he wants, though he actually calls himself the father of American LitRPG. His problem starts and ends with his greed. I mean, he was trying to trademark LitRPG clothing? How vague is that? There was no way he was going to get that accepted. He should've taken a note from FineBrothers and gone for something that is both specific and vague. Or better yet, realise there are smarter ways to make money then making enemies of your entire fanbase.