What constitutes a book?

So I wanted to get some feedback on what constitutes a book 1 vs. a series?

Especially on web novels I'm curious what other authors think is best? Is it better to split them all up into book 1, book 2, and book 3? Or do you keep them all together under one series heading on royal road? While under royal road do you separate each book under it's own fiction name or is it better to keep them together?

(traditional non-web novel ideas I don't think apply to this and would maybe even conflict with it, particularly with royal road's uniqueness.)

And how many chapters do you think is ideal for what you consider book 1 vs book 2? Any suggestions on how you split up when one book ends, and the next set of events becomes the next book?

Also I had a word on sabotaging other people's work. And that's that it does happen. 

I'm not stirring up any trouble but I think the last time I brought this up in the assistance chat people mistakenly thought I was angry. I am not mad or upset with anyone but just wish for other authors and readers to know that it happens. 

For one thing, I noticed sometimes authors can experience a hit on their ratings after announcing a new product or something exciting upcoming. That's the hint of someone jealous reacting; the timing doesn't make sense. if someone experienced a hit on ratings wouldn't it naturally happen when they are inactive or during a slow period rather than when something cool and upcoming was being notified to be released soon? 

Also I found there are certain types of people that will have a history of negative comments. It's one thing to have one negative comment, maybe even a few, but I noticed certain probably fake accounts would have 100% of their comments trying to destroy a fiction or it's credibility. Even someone with a negative attitude may find one or two chapters good. I find it hard to believe that naturally absolutely 100% of someone's comments would have to be this way.

I'm sure moderators and others are working hard. This isn't their fault either. 

I thought by bringing this up people might be more inclined to look less at ratings and more on story and length. 

Thank you for your positive participation and for those who lend support to the site and authors.

RE: What constitutes a book?

I post my story in volumes and each volume is a story in itself, including its own climax and end. So when the volume is finished, something has happened and even though it continues in the next volume, it's still somewhat alone-standing. So length has nothing to do with it (even though I have something like a page-count in my alpha-draft documents in mind).

Everthing goes into the same fiction-page, because it's easier to manage, easier to keep track for readers, and it's still one fiction, despite the separation in volumes.

'kentusrpg' pid='820750' dateline='1484989535' Wrote: I post my story in volumes and each volume is a story in itself, including its own climax and end. So when the volume is finished, something has happened and even though it continues in the next volume, it's still somewhat alone-standing. So length has nothing to do with it (even though I have something like a page-count in my alpha-draft documents in mind).

Everthing goes into the same fiction-page, because it's easier to manage, easier to keep track for readers, and it's still one fiction, despite the separation in volumes.

This. A book or a volume is usually a self-contained story with some kind of a climax in which a large portion of the story has wrapped itself up for the most part.
Web novels are notoriously bad at being split up this way since it's usually hard to wrap up all loose ends in time.

Thank you both for commenting and taking the time to contribute.