New Member & Questions regarding posting.

Hopefully, someone would be nice enough to aid a new, and wondering lost soul. 

As an avid fan and reader of everything friction, ranging from manga, light novels, and fan fiction, I wanted to try my hand at writing a story of my own. Soon, I wanted to share that story with the world, but the issue that came with that was that I had little clue on where to start. 

Thanks to a friend, and avid reader on RoyalRoadl, he pointed here as a wonderful site in which I can post my story without fear of internet troll backlash. After taking a look at the website and doing some researching I realized that this website caters more to those writing original stories in the form of novel/light novels then say traditional fan fiction. 

I was wondering how a traditional fan fiction, a story which incorporates already existing stories and concept would fair on such a platform. Would such a story be shunned or perhaps looked down upon? Or maybe pushed to the background in favor of the more common fantasy style stories that seems to dominate the website. 

Never the less, I'm still planning on posting here (eventually.) Especially with how well regarded the community is, according to my friend. But I would do like to know how this website differentiate from other, more well known sites like Achieves of our own.com, or (dare I say it...Fanfiction.com)

RE: New Member & Questions regarding posting.

I don't think a place free of backlash exists on the Internet. I say just go for it. I'm sure you'll gain some following no matter what kind of content it is. Just make it interesting enough and have fun.

Also my advice would be to write in bulks, like write six or so chapters before you post anything. This is to give yourself to correct some errors in previous chapters before they go live. I think a lot of writers here get caught up on just releasing as soon as they're done that there is no room to revise. Well I'm sometimes guilty of that too but it's up to you really.

'Eisblume' pid='821105' dateline='1485921011' Wrote: I don't think a place free of backlash exists on the Internet. I say just go for it. I'm sure you'll gain some following no matter what kind of content it is. Just make it interesting enough and have fun.

Also my advice would be to write in bulks, like write six or so chapters before you post anything. This is to give yourself to correct some errors in previous chapters before they go live. I think a lot of writers here get caught up on just releasing as soon as they're done that there is no room to revise. Well I'm sometimes guilty of that too but it's up to you really.

Wow, that was fast. I didn't expect for a reply so quickly. You people sure work fast don't you? :D. 

Anyhoo. Thank you for the wonderful advice.

Fanfictions generally don't do as well here, nor do a lot of minor genres, but hey, you could always set the trend with a well-written fanfic. The site did start off as a translation site turned fanfic site, after all. Anywho, you'll need to have consistent releases, swap reviews for advice and stars, and maybe join a group if you want some writing friends/PR buddies.
Either way, have fun, don't be afraid, and GOOD LUCK! ^_^
https://goo.gl/tHnDsL
A proud member of Writers to The End - We finish our fictions!
[My Website
]

I guess for fan fiction, it is also base on how many people actually recognized or a fan of the original story you are writing about. (I hear that the Naruto fan fictions are doing great here :D)

Either way, it is my experience that good story trumps everything here. Yes, sometimes readers and even fellow authors can be brutal in their reviews, but that is just the way it is. This is a good place to hone your skill as a writer.

So good luck and more power!
Check my fictions
"Invincible"
"Gamer of the Dead"
And the newest  "Slam No Basuke"

This site was originally created for fanfics of "Legendary Moonlight Sculptor", a Korean VRMMORPG novel. So no, fanfics should not be out of place here - although the site has certainly shifted far more towards original novels in recent years.

That's not to say that fanfics don't have their place. One of my favourite stories is Blut und Eisen, a fanfic of the aforementioned LMS, but I loved how it broke from its original crutch source material and explored something completely different - a Prussian war veteran's experience with war in a different form, and being young again despite all expectations.

The way I personally see fanfics is as a form of assistance for authors who may not be as experienced in world building and creating a setting. They are certainly not a bad thing, although they are often lower in quality as they are written by less experienced authors. I would be more than willing to read a fanfic, as long as it grabbed my attention as a story on its own, and not simply regurgitating the original source's plot - I must admit I am a bit more skewed to think the opposite true, though. The biggest problem with fanfics is, really, that they are based on copyright material, which means little chance of ever publishing them - or at least publishing them without paying some serious royalties.

As for this site vs. ao3 or fanfiction.net, or any other site really... why not both? Plenty of authors post their work in multiple locations. And if you have been posting for a while and feel that one place gives you a better feeling about writing and sharing your work, by all means stick with there. That's certainly how I found myself writing here.
My (Science) Fiction - Desolate Stars.
And historical - Out of the Motherland.
Go to a new fiction. Review it. Help the little guys.