To writers: What motivates you to write and to keep writing?

Though there's a writer's thread for writers, I believe this is more specific.

First of all, as the title mentions it, what motivated you to first post your writing out into the world? Was it to show off? Was it to leave your mark in the world? To give others a pleasant smile?

As a writer of a relatively new story myself, I started to write for myself. I like to write the story, then I would read it and act as if the novel was from a different person. I thought, hey, this novel seemed good, why not share it with others? I'd give others a good laugh, I thought to myself. Maybe in the future, it might even inspire someone to write a comedy novel of their own. Who knows?

Secondly, what motivates you to keep writing? What sort of madness overcomes you to go in front of your computer to type and neglect your sleep? It seems redundant to ask this question, but hey, maybe you have different answer to this.
https://i.imgur.com/VGKJaRk.jpg

or click here:

Necrotourists -> http://royalroadl.com/fiction/10211

RE: To writers: What motivates you to write and to keep writing?

My urge to write started already in childhood; reading books, I was fascinated by their power to fuel my imagination and conjure entire worlds, and I wanted to possess that power and exercise it. It has been a driving principle for me since, even choosing to study Comparative Literature at university for my Master's.

As for motivation, I spent a lot of time away from the computer also thinking about my story. I plan out passages and scenes in my head. Sometimes because they're what I am about to write, and it goes a lot faster once I do sit down in front of the keyboard if I have already planned specifically what I am about to write. Other times, I plan out more distant scenes that I am eager to get to. When I am in a lull, having a hard time to write where I am currently in the story, I think about my favourite parts yet to come. If I don't write this part now that I am struggling with, I won't get to the part that I am anxiously awaiting to reach.

As a kid, I was one of those who skip along the road with a smile in their face. I would spend my time during gatherings by myself and imagining things, cracking up a smile once in a while that people would comment that I was going crazy or some shit.

But now that I had grown up, I just had that urge to make something. I would tinker with my toys to my parent's disapproval and in high school I made and audio amplifier in one of the technical subjects we had (its not much really) . So I took an Engineering Degree when I reached college. I of course couldn't make things and proudly claim them as my own then so I thought of other ways, and found it. Writing. I found out that there is no other thing I know how to use in my life than my imagination, the problem was putting it on paper.

My first work was shit. I won't deny that but the second was better and the following and the one after that. It was the feeling of progression that kept me going. I would compare it well to lifting. Every session you get stronger, you write better. Which in turn motivates you to do more.

Sure, there are times where you would just rather not do it. But that's just natural, motivations come and go but like I always say to myself. Motivation would make you take the first step, discipline gets you all the way.

I wanted to put in an Arnold quote from his book here but I wont. So GET TO THE CHOPPA!!
They said the world is ending.
They are wrong. Its only changing.
https://i.imgur.com/LqcYAhwt.jpg

Well, there were times when I started writing stories, but I never went far. Then one day, I was kinda pissed at particular troupes but had the feeling that it'd be unfair to complain, without putting effort into a piece of work myself. So I started my current story as a form of protest, to attain the right to complain...

And this was the first time I actually had something to show (and in English, which is not my native tongue, but what I was pissed off were English translations, I just tried to stick as close as possible to the source material). I left it alone for a few months, read it again, then decided to continue, and at some point, I started releasing it on the internet.

What keeps me writing is the good feedback, the hilariously bad feedback, and my curiosity, where this all will lead. ;)

This is a good question! What motivates me is probably the fact that I no longer have any sort of anime, manga or light novels like re:monster to read. Therefore, I decided to invent a world in my mind and read my own story (with a similar concept) as I write :) Being as much of a reader as a writer, wanting to find out more motivates me to write more.
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/image...gHZZK_7wsw

Only he who achieves true greed can attain true power.
Reincarnation, levels, RPG, power to steal abilities.
Web Novel (Greed): http://royalroadl.com/fiction/10202

I write mainly to entertain and to inform. Both are possible without releasing the writing out to the world, but I figure, one can only get so far by talking to oneself. (Eventually, one makes a forum post. Hiyo!) The closest given option that fits me above would be "to give others a pleasant smile"... though not all topics are smile-worthy. So let's go with, I post my writing on the internet hoping it makes people think, or alternately, provides them with a measure of diversion. Maybe both.

Motivation's a separate beast. In one sense, I'm a completionist - it bothers me to leave a story unfinished. Also, I know some people won't start to read a story until it's done. Hence, I write until it's done. Note that doesn't mean I don't enjoy the writing, but I rarely abandon a story once I've decided to start it. (There are a few I've set aside, some for years, but they're still on my mind... one took me 8 years to conclude, but I got there). People commenting on a work can also help with motivation (whether it's the story you're working on or about your writing in general), except after 5+ years of putting things out there, I've learned not to count on that. For motivation during The Silent Times, save comments to a file you can look at later.
--
Time travel serial at http://royalroadl.com/fiction/10662 or http://mathtans.wordpress.com/ ... Personified math at http://mathtans.ca

I just wanted to share my work. It really wasn't anything more than that. I like the thought of entertaining people. I can't say I'm trying to make art or make my mark on the world and leave a legacy behind. I just like writing and I want to share.

Now what keep me motivated?  Probably the strong desire of I can do better. I mean, I'm happy with my work, but I'm never satisfied with it. It's always, "I can do better." So I end up trying to write something better than what I written before. I also like exploring story-telling in meaning what can I tell a story about and how can I make it interesting. I don't always want to be stuck with writing adventure. I want to explore those between places that many not ventured into. It might not make me the most popular of writers. However, I didn't jump into this for popularity.

'Markious' pid='821525' dateline='1487140155' Wrote: I started writing because I was pissed off with what I was reading, I couldn't find anything that scratched the itch of what I wanted, so I simply filled the void myself.
Literally me XD
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/image...gHZZK_7wsw

Only he who achieves true greed can attain true power.
Reincarnation, levels, RPG, power to steal abilities.
Web Novel (Greed): http://royalroadl.com/fiction/10202

Pretty much because I got bored with what I had in front of me. It effectively became, 'it'd be so much if they kept that character dead..' or 'why didn't they do this! I would have made it a thousand times better'. Naturally, what flows in my mind - which is better imho - is different than what I can convey fluently. That annoyed me.

So I wrote more to compensate and got better. It is something that isn't really a chore anymore. After the first hurdle and hurdles of writer's block were dealt with, it became easy. I just treated it, rightfully so, as entertainment; for me, for others, should they get the opportunity, and perhaps lead me to somewhere different than watching late-night TV would get me.

Which is nowhere.

So I consider it therapeutic. Calming even after a long day. Plus it is cheaper than buying my choice of novels when I could cost with the sub-par ones I put aside, devoting for time to an interesting hobby. One year in and I have a little under 10MB of data on my laptop - all in Notepad.

So that's about 2.5M words (I think? I'm tired.) of unfiltered thoughts that would have otherwise been left unsaid. It's kind of a neat thing when you think about it.

'Ambush' pid='821800' dateline='1487934312' Wrote: Pretty much because I got bored with what I had in front of me. It effectively became, 'it'd be so much if they kept that character dead..' or 'why didn't they do this! I would have made it a thousand times better'. Naturally, what flows in my mind - which is better imho - is different than what I can convey fluently. That annoyed me.

So I wrote more to compensate and got better. It is something that isn't really a chore anymore. After the first hurdle and hurdles of writer's block were dealt with, it became easy. I just treated it, rightfully so, as entertainment; for me, for others, should they get the opportunity, and perhaps lead me to somewhere different than watching late-night TV would get me.

Which is nowhere.

So I consider it therapeutic. Calming even after a long day. Plus it is cheaper than buying my choice of novels when I could cost with the sub-par ones I put aside, devoting for time to an interesting hobby. One year in and I have a little under 10MB of data on my laptop - all in Notepad.
^^^ this is me as well, it is nice after a long day to write, but then i also write when I have a lunch break at work or anything along those lines lol

Well, my reasoning is pretty simple, I want my stories out. Long ago, when I was ten or so, I started writing in my notebook for the first time. That story lasted for hundreds of thousands of words, I filled thick notebook after thick notebook with it. Without showing to anyone. My handwriting was too ineligible for anyone to read. But I continued, year after year for maybe seven years. Why? I've yet to figure that out. I just needed that story out of my system. Even if no one would read it. I needed it to be written down.

At some point I stopped writing, everyone telling me it was a waste of time. After hearing that every day for a more than half a decade my self-confidence broke and I gave up. Then three years later I read LMS and all the hundred or so ff in rrl at the time and wanted more. And I thought I could do better. Some of those stories were lacking (in my eyes). So, when I started writing again, I just decided to post it online. Not really expecting anyone to read it. Maybe they would and I'd be really happy. Maybe they won't. It wasn't the important part. I was writing that story for myself. First and foremost. I wanted a different VR story and so I gave it to myself. *Shrugs* Too prideful? Probably. Then again. We each know what we like most and can make the story fit our own tastes the best. So that's what I did. And keep doing. The stories in my head need to be out and I want to read them. Sometimes they work, like FoI did. Sometimes not exactly like DC. But I'm still happy. Each attempt teaches me something so that next time I can write an even better story for myself, and for others. Who for an unknown reason enjoy my writing.
Dream Chaser - After the world got destroyed, four people find themselves in a society under the feet of an Energy user. It is their wish to survive and help those around them, but how do you fight an opponent that can shape the whole world as they see fit? 

https://i.imgur.com/CvprWNR.png
You might want to think twice before you try to use a man's conscience against him. It might just turn out he doesn't have one.

For me the improvement of the quality of my work, the mutation of how I write is reason to continue.
If I review what I wrote a year ago, with how I wrote now, the difference is very visible, readable and almost tangible in my work. It's that refinement of my work that gives me the motivation to keep going, to continue to learn the craft of writing.

'TheManWithLongReach' pid='821218' dateline='1486305200' Wrote: As a kid, I was one of those who skip along the road with a smile in their face. I would spend my time during gatherings by myself and imagining things, cracking up a smile once in a while that people would comment that I was going crazy or some shit.

But now that I had grown up, I just had that urge to make something. I would tinker with my toys to my parent's disapproval and in high school I made and audio amplifier in one of the technical subjects we had (its not much really) . So I took an Engineering Degree when I reached college. I of course couldn't make things and proudly claim them as my own then so I thought of other ways, and found it. Writing. I found out that there is no other thing I know how to use in my life than my imagination, the problem was putting it on paper.

My first work was shit. I won't deny that but the second was better and the following and the one after that. It was the feeling of progression that kept me going. I would compare it well to lifting. Every session you get stronger, you write better. Which in turn motivates you to do more.

Sure, there are times where you would just rather not do it. But that's just natural, motivations come and go but like I always say to myself. Motivation would make you take the first step, discipline gets you all the way.

I wanted to put in an Arnold quote from his book here but I wont. So GET TO THE CHOPPA!!

This is a smart way to be motivated Scribble has started a weekly writing session open to the public that anyone can join so you write something weekly getting progressively better.

To answer the question more focusing on my self I use too write for one reason, Fun. I felt the enjoyment of writing, but it came at a cost. I was having fun getting my story more  popular every view and follower, this didn't last long. After my initial spark I got desperate, I started writing more and in much better quality I put my heart into each chapter editing it 3 times over (even getting pr/editor)  forcing myself too better my work. Sadly my attempts were in vain, my story kept losing views, kept losing followers. I had no clue why no one was commenting anymore and no one was saying why they left. That's when I just dropped off the radar, no longer any will to write just sitting around doing other work, watching the wounded horse die.

After a bit I saw and opportunity and took it, pushing 4+ chapters out in a span of two months normally taking me 1 month to get only one out. I was on fire, no views, no comments. I was going for my goal, to publish on amazon. When I reached it the top wasn't as great as I thought. When I was finished after a month I was whipped and beat using all my will for a false goal. So I purged, putting my main story on hiatus and dropping the others. Now I'm here.

I have one last master plan, this is now my motivation, I will push it as hard and far as I can. The motivation is still small but its growing, I have purpose and a reason.
If you see "The Forgotten One" anywhere give it a read for me will yah.

I hope no one ends up like me, I want you all too write for the right reasons so you can keep going. A good way to get in the move is listening to music with meaningful lyrics. I wish you all luck and good fortune.

Sincerely Aucis Josh.
Group Leader of -PenDragon
Group member of - DOM

Main Project - king of nox

Retired stories - Metior (OneShot), RE:God  (Writing), The King of Avarice (TKA) (Hiatus), Memories in Purgatory (OneShot)

It helps me escape my current reality and enter a new, more interesting world where I control everything that happens. It's the same reasons people watch a movie, play games or read a book. However, writing your own story allows you to actually control the way the story goes.
Luna — yandere story about a guy that unknowingly confesses to a deranged girl with superhuman abilities. Contains gore and is intended for mature audiences.