RE: Questions about writing and posting a story?

Whew, that's a question. I'll answer the easiest part first. Yes, summaries, fiction names, tags can all be updated as you write. I would recommend planning ahead so you have some idea, because your original readers usually don't like it if your story suddenly changes a 180 from what the original summary suggested it would be. A good example of this would be adding a harem into a novel which previously promised no harem in the summary - goodbye, reader base.

If you borrow from others... hmm. Well, fanfictions are a thing, so it's not that big a deal. You can get away with it no problem, but just out of morality I would recommend you accredit any copyright material you re-purpose. Random quotes and easter eggs are fine, but any more than that should be attributed.

Worst case, there are fair use laws and whatever, so you can claim parody if you (unlikely) get sued, but chances are, if you're not earning money off the material, nobody will care.

For an example of a fiction that did this, check out [url=https://royalroadl.com/fiction/55][/url], aka Blut und Eisen. This was from way, way back when RRL fictions were still counted in two digits, but the same principles should apply. Point is, the story took a pair of "theme songs" and, in the style of anime, linked them at the start and end of the chapters like an opening/ending song.

The general rule is usually copy from others as little as possible within your own medium. Borrowing from other mediums is more accepted - so throw in song lyrics, videos and whatever without worry, but be careful about stealing other authors' ideas and words. That's where you can get into trouble - not so much financial, especially around this site, but rather with your good name as a producer of original, individual content.
My (Science) Fiction - Desolate Stars.
And historical - Out of the Motherland.
Go to a new fiction. Review it. Help the little guys.

Yeah what I meant by stories not going how I planned, is that something I thought would take a paragraph took a couple pages, someone died, and someone else got thrown out of the village, when originally the mc was just supposed to walk off angrily... But I get what you mean. And about stealing from the original, I was planning on changing it somewhat and not even focusing on it, it would just be there because I liked the original.

'Bibliophile the cat' pid='821234' dateline='1486341598' Wrote: unrelated question, but I see it says cookie seeker below my name... whats that mean?

http://forum.royalroadl.com/usercp.php?action=profile
If you go to 'edit profile' there is a 'Custom user title' (on the right) you can change, it just defaults to 'cookie seeker' (and I think it upgrades on it's own based on how many posts you have, all the way to Penguin Overlord)