Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

What is the meaning of life?

I find the answers obvious honestly.

The meaning of life is to leave a legacy.
Most life forms do that by having offspring.
The parent's DNA is passed on to the next generation and is refined by evolution.

We humans are able to go beyond that. The legacy for us can be to further our search for knowledge, to leave a mark in history (for the better or the worst), or just to enjoy our time on this world.

About the entropic death of the universe, there is this short story written by Asimov that I find awesome
http://multivax.com/last_question.html
[Image: 87bcd61b-4673-4167-bcac-27f6c297602e.png]
Twilight Over Arcania - My take on the resurrection theme
Questions like the meaning of life are in my opinion hard to answer because by being alive our answer automatically contains bias. Its like asking someone if you think one of their loved ones is evil, you cant really expect the right answer. So i try and use cause and effect ,if the meaning of life is the cause the effect would be how our species has actually lived which is something that can actually be observed. Throughout humanties time on earth we've moved from small groups to towering megacities; moved from hunter gathering to mass agriculture; manual labout to machine labour. The common trend is we've made life easier in any way we could. This just leaves one simple conclusion the meaning of life is to keep living as long as we can.
There's no single answer, and it always changes. 
For some, it's to find something to do in their life. Some live to thrive for success, others live for faith. There are also those who are just trying their damn hardest to get by to the next day. That same people don't have the luxury of asking questions like that. They live to live. 

If you really want to know the meaning of life, try talking to the old people around you. They know more about life than we do. The closer they are to death, the better chances you have to hear the answer you want to know. Just make sure you're prepared to hear the answers that you don't want to know. Just take your pick from there.

My own pick is to make sure I don't have too many regrets when I'm on my deathbed. Did I help enough people? Did I make enough of a change? Did I live the life I wanted?

What could I've done better? Because unlike a game, or a test, or some work you did, you can't redo life. Thus the wise saying,

Spoiler:  My fictions
[Image: fay_and_her_furry_friends_by_derthian-db8fxy6.gif]

(04-04-17, 08:31 PM)Afforess Wrote: The meaning of life is to better yourself in order to find the meaning of life.

Bettering yourself is an interminable operation. I agree with you, but I don't know if we will ever achieve total amelioration. Maybe it's a frame of mind, who knows. *Shrugs.*
I'm sure we've all sat and wondered about this, but this is the best answer I ever come up with:

"To see what happens next!"
I know how cheesy and naive it sounds... But to me it is to Love.

After all a Meaning in Life has certain Requirements:
1. Assume it is achievable.
2. Something you can do or work towards at any point of your life, even on your death bed.
3. Something that cannot be finished while you are alive. (Such as material things for example being Rich, once you do complete that, you are left without meaning, and the fact you completed it and still have life to live proves it wasn't your meaning.)

Only things left are concepts such as Love. Things that can be continuously completed, yet it will never end.

If it was something like Hating everyone, assuming you succeed in getting rid of them all, you would be left with nothing, hence nothing to hate anymore, except yourself, which would cause you to end your life prematurely. Meaning that cannot be your purpose either.

It also cannot be something like Learning, as that would also have a limit. If you somehow learned everything in all existence then that would not be your meaning of life. As you would still have life to live but nothing more to learn.

Now something like Love, is well.... eternal. No matter how much you love on other people, there isn't a limit. Love withstands time and it can be achieved at any moment, yet never have an end. Hence why I think it is the only meaning to life, that everyone shares.
:awsoME:
(26-10-17, 08:28 PM)Stonehe4rt Wrote: I know how cheesy and naive it sounds... But to me it is to Love.

After all a Meaning in Life has certain Requirements:
1. Assume it is achievable.
2. Something you can do or work towards at any point of your life, even on your death bed.
3. Something that cannot be finished while you are alive. (Such as material things for example being Rich, once you do complete that, you are left without meaning, and the fact you completed it and still have life to live proves it wasn't your meaning.)

Way to break your first or third rule. The concept of love you're thinking either doesn't exist, or exists too easily. (You don't define 'love', so it could be family love, which I'd assume most people would have practically by default whilst living their lives, or pure love between you and a 'special' someone. )

The purity of which you don't define so it could be 100% perfect and have to be perfect soulmates, which is impossible due to human's flaws compared to their imaginary, assumed perfections. And, since love is an emotion, if you don't believe in an afterlife you can assume that, since your brain creates your emotions, once your brain is unusable (like when you die), it would be lost. Therefore, making it not eternal. Also, love is a concept not everyone has, so you're basically saying that some people can just not achieve their meaning in life.

I dunno. I personally find the meaning of life to do as you need in the moment. Vague as all hell, but so are pretty all the other answers, and I find it a question for which an answer changes of your momentary outlook on life as a whole, which is why the vague answer.

For instance, when you're a child, you're life goal is possibly something to do with a future occupation, or something to do with learning, being social, or whatever you feel the need to do in the moment. At adulthood, it may be the same, or something like getting a house, a family or other things and an age like retirement, these goals will change again to helping the next generation, finding reasons to complain at the next generation or something about a hobby like gardening. I know these are all assumed, but they're an assumed, generalized list of possible meanings life would have for you at the moment, and not all the possible meanings. Otherwise, I'd max out the word limit for the internet as a whole before finishing this list.
Member of WriTE. The most apathetic member...