What is your favorite and least favorite super power that MC’s get in Light Fiction?

What is your favorite and least favorite super power that MC’s get in Light Fiction?

100 Luck
Don’t worry about those plot holes or the shiny sword about to chop your head off.  The pen is mightier than the sword.  So the writer will make sure that the MC sees the credits.

Alchemist
Brew a condensation pill.  Brew a love potion.  Brew your own beer.  Brew... just brew, brew, brew.  You get a lot of bling, fame and attention if you do.

All that Brain power
You are a verified Genius.  Outsmart anyone and everyone.

Ancient Master
Everyone is equal, so get a good teacher to give you an edge over the other mooks.  Even better if the teacher is a few thousand years old, because those geezers know more than anyone else.

Bag of Holding
A good place to hide your forbidden magazines... and your moneys... and your pet elephant... and your house.

Cadaver absorption
Everyone you eat makes you stronger, so check your diet. Very tasty!

Chick Magnet

Follow the Harem route or bag and discard the the flowers coming your way.  Whatever your philosophy the chicks dig ye, even if you are plain as can be.

Damsel in Distress
Are you a little girl in a big bad world?  Let the dark and handsome guy be your plot armor.

Dat Smile
You are gorgeous. Nuff said.

Evolution
Use the power of Darwin. Only faster.

Exp Plus
You are talented. You learn twice as fast for half the effort.

Forbidden Tome
Congrats! You got your hands on a book that was lost a long time ago.  There must be some useful training techniques, recipes or rituals inside.

Good for Nothing
You are useless.  Expect to get very lucky in the future.

Groundhog Day
You died?  Just press the reset button.

Hard worker
Hey ho, Hey ho.  Work all day, play all night.  Hey ho, Hey ho.  With hard work, you win the fight.  Hey ho, hey ho. Who cares about that talented guy? Hey ho, Hey ho. Kick him in the nuts and say goodbye.

Hyperbolic Time Chamber
Are you a bit slow? No problemo!  If you enter this chamber / dimension, time passes 100 times slower.  So you got all the time in the world to practice those math problems.

Ironman
*Huff* *huff* You are... *puff* physically fitter... *ack*  and stronger than... *wheeze* us mere mortals.  *pass out*

Money Man
Ahhh. Good massage.  Well, time to put on your tuxedo and face the horde of gold diggers.  Use the power of Capitalism to buy anything you need.

One Hit Man
You are Overpowered. Squash everyone standing in your way, with style.

One Trick Pony
You got only one thing going for you.  But man, you know how to use it.

Pokemon
Get yourself a pet dragon in your pocket.

Reincarnation
You died!  But you are not dead!  You are in the middle ages! But you know stuff no one else knows!

The Gamer

The world is a game. Play it

Tinker
Being a Mad Scientist is fun.  Build yourself some gadgets to annoy other people or end the world.

Other

Name other super power not listed above. You creative fiend!

Edit 1: Added least favorite as subject.
Edit 2: Added 'Hard worker', 'Iron man', 'Money Man', 'Tinker' & 'The Gamer'
Edit 3: Changed "All that brain power"  into "Exp plus" and made "All that brain power" into a new super power
Edit 4: Added 'Chick Magnet', 'Damsel in Distress', 'One hit man' & 'One trick pony'

RE: What is your favorite and least favorite super power that MC’s get in Light Fiction?

Any power here can be both great or bad.  How the author uses it is the most important.   That said, some are worse done than others.  A mary sue is a MC who gets a lot of powers from this list.

My favorite power would probably be Ancient master.  That power automatically forces the author to try and make the interaction between the two interesting.  The other powers are usually one man shows.

My least favorite power is Hard worker.  Authors always play the sympathy card and try to show how awesome the MC is in relation to others.

RE: What is your favorite and least favorite super power that MC’s get in Light Fiction?

Full disclosure: I haven't read lots of Light Fiction. That said, pet peeve time... my least favourite super power (in Light Fiction or elsewhere) would be the "outsmart everyone, genius" that has been labelled as the new "All That Brain Power". Because I don't feel like it should be considered a "super power".

Being able to "do calculations real fast, yo!" or "outthink people!" comes across (to me) like "some people are simply inherently smart, and others are not", and that's the way it is, too bad, so sad. And I strongly disagree, not only with the sentiment, but with the implications it has in society as a whole of late. I mean, sure, on the face of it, it's basically someone overloading their Intelligence stat, as opposed to Charisma or Dexterity or whatever... but I feel like it is dangerous to have a civilization that believes they can only be "so smart", who then put people who "seem smarter" up on that pedestal, instead of thinking they can get there too. We are in desperate need of people without such fixed mindsets these days... we can ALL be "super" that way, if we put our minds to it! (Too cheesy?)

Well, that's one person's opinion. As for favourite, of the ones listed, I like "Forbidden Tome". Mainly because it's something the MC then has to actively keep track of, possibly even constantly refer back to, creating storytelling possibilities - and maybe the book becomes a kind of character in and of itself. (It's possible I'm anticipating the return of "Agents of SHIELD" next week, they've been doing some interesting things with their Darkhold this season. Or I'm having flashbacks to that evil book from the old "Care Bears" movie.)
--
Time travel serial at http://royalroadl.com/fiction/10662 or http://mathtans.wordpress.com/ ... Personified math at http://mathtans.ca

Favorite hero trope?

Mine would be a combination between the [Alchemist + Good for Nothing + One Hit Man.]

Sure the One Hit Man added into the mix makes the story a little more predictable in some cases, but I like it.

A power you can add is the power of Inheritance, blood awakening/animal instincts/magic affinities or whatever/ The main point can be said that they didn't earn it by their own effort but received it from their own parents, just because he/she is their child. Can be considered to be part of the 100 Luck, but only for getting the power, afterwards Luck no longer factors into it.
------------------------------------------------------
Reading and writing is my passion, pleasure, purpose.
------------------------------------------------------

My favorite super power is Trade, basically the ability to trade everything, being it expectancy of life, abilities, skills, anything, anything, being it something material or abstract, my second favorite would be The Gamer, third would be cadaver absorption and fourth would be luck, but it's really hard to find an novel with lucky as a power well written, most just doesn't feel real.
Least favorite super power is Good for Nothing, I really hate the MC being despised, second least is Pokemon, I hate pets, third least is hard worker;

I like powers that seems limited on a first glance, but can be used in a creative way to tremendous effect.
An example would be Luffy's power in One Piece, which is to be rubber. Seems fair, but he uses the elasticity in creative ways to fight strong enemies on equal ground.
Another example would be the Satou in Death March. His power is an RPG menu. It allows him to learn skill in an extremely efficient way, making him Uber OP.

I dislike powers that would be broken if used to full effect, but are basically limited by the writers.
The most egregious example is The Flash in the DC universe. His power is to be very fast (how fast depend on the writers, there are dozens of versions) and has extremely fast reflexes (can avoid bullets). And yet he regularly trips on legs and is punched by 'regular' peoples.
https://www.royalroadcdn.com/reyadawnbri...TcjPAk.jpg
Twilight Over Arcania - My take on the resurrection theme

Re: What is your favorite and least favorite super power that MC’s get in Light Fiction?

i really like the Vector Change from Accelerator or the Magic Eyes of Death Perception from the Nasuverse.

i really like the power of the Composer from the Worm Fanfic "Synesthesia" because she shares it with others and makes a Street Gang full of Artists out of it. Really creative.

most Boring in my opinion is the Alexandria Package (Super Strength+ Endurance+Flight)

Re: What is your favorite and least favorite super power that MC’s get in Light Fiction?

Favourite of time dilation "Space Pockets"
Not to be confused with inventory below these spaces are usually where all the fighting can take place and or growth of goods.
Epic rewards are handed out here but lets face it the most epic of them all is the ability to compress time or space too allow the creation of more stuff.

My Second favourite  is by far "inventory"
Impossible to create included in usually with a hero's "convenience" time suspension or time dilation

Least favourite :
One man flying on his own "KI" or "Mana"
Most often used in many novels and makes me want to vomit bright colours.
Followed close second with weaponized music.
I like zithers really I do but I consider it non lethal unless you using it as a club or just its strings to kill with.

Final note I love the concept of cores from dungeons to animals.
Its really cool and allows for more ways to grow your character wealth's.

The Gamer and Evolution are my favorites.  Tinker if the MC is specifically making a dungeon, creating hybrid plants or animals, or reinventing renaissance tech in a pre-renaissance world.  Cadaver Absorption, Hard Worker, and Groundhog Day are all good too.  Bag of Holding is a sub-power that should be added to one or more of these others.

Don't really like the rest of the options.

Major options I would add:

Nonhuman Biology - you are no longer a human, use your old life experience to master your new body, whether you are a slime, a dog, an evolving monster, a vampire, or whatever.

Shapeshifter - Change yourself around to reach far away stuff, fit through small openings, be extra-charismatic and innocent, be invisible and silent, turtle up with impenetrable armor, breathe underwater, etc.

Hard to choose between so many good options, but I think 100 Luck is the sh*ttiest thing. All it seems to do is allow for lazy writing and plot armour.

-Oh look, I stumbled over a twenty quadrillion year old herb
-Oh look, I stumbled over a rare monster I specifically needed for a quest or whatever
-... magical artifact buried in a cave on cliff
-... survive constant, certain death situations via pure bullsh*te
-... succeeded in crafting a 0.000001% item
-... a naked girl bathing who instantly becomes my waifu because 'plot'.

GAH.

Guess my favorite would be something like Evolution + The Gamer, because LitRPGs. Although it's not really a superpower, but I prefer Defiant MCs the most. When they choose dirty, awful freedom instead of a gilded cage, like instead of taking the paths provided, they forge their own path, risking pain, misery and death instead of the easy way out. Hate MCs who are just glorified mmo characters, moving from one quest to another, never choosing anything or making their will know. Bloody spineless, cowardly yes-man protagonists are a dime a dozen in JP LNs. Be assertive! Stop being a gopher with magical luck and pp pheromones!