Lit RPGs?

Hi,

So I'm interested in studying a few examples of good and bad lit rpg stories. I'm interested in experimenting with my own stories on these issues. And I have a small part of it in my existing stories, but when I started those stories about a year ago I didn't have much feedback on what a lit rpg is and what it is not. 

I think there's been changes in people's perception of what a lit rpg story is in the last year too. 

At any rate I could use some feedback and suggestions on these. In particular it seems that it would be hard to not make them repetitive and boring. This is my primary concern*. How do you get around that.

I mean it seems that part of the lit rpg scenario system is people like building something and building something up. But if every chapter is...Bob goes to slay level 1 orc. level 1 orc hits Bob, Bob hits orc...then does that get boring for people? 

What do you think? I'd really like to have some discussion on this too.

Thank you.

RE: Lit RPGs?

Well, how does a game (specifically an MMORPG) keep from getting boring? Often through the introduction of story, in the form of interesting quest-lines.

With LitRPG, the narrative is often only partly in-game. The rest is a meta-narrative. In a lot of Asian ones (like the Sword Art Online anime), the protagonist is stuck in the game. Playing the game, and gaining in power, is a matter of survival. Russian LitRPG more often has the protagonist grinding through the game because they're compelled to do so for social or economic reasons. Osadchuk's Project Daily Grind is an excellent example of this.

Western LitRPGs tend more to aspirational storylines, like the great game in Ready Player One, or Ender's Game-style military themes like The G3me or Nagant Wars. Sometimes, as with Realm of the Nine Circles, there's some corporate shenanigans going on. In each of those, protagonists are leveling up to meet challenges, whether they be opportunities or threats.

A lot of readers want to see progression in a character. They want to see the improvement of their abilities, and sometimes to see their building up of a town or fortress.
She's a VRMMORPG player on a mission: Granny God-mode
"Old age and treachery always overcomes youth and skill" -Proverb