Tenses and POV

What is the consensus on Tenses and Point of View? I am writing a new story and torn over whether first person or third person is appropriate. I can see advantages to both. How disruptive is omniscient third person with an internal monologue? Also, is past tense just the general go to?

RE: Tenses and POV

I'd say it would depend on the story, and your writing style.
I am writing a story on my own, and I use both 1st person and 3rd person POV.

Personally, I prefer a 3rd person POV. It's easier to write since it's an omniscient POV and you don't need to be careful about who is thinking (in my first chapters, I occasionally made mistakes, including others' thoughts or feelings in a 1st person POV). Additionally, changing too much POV can become confusing, and you won't have this problem with a 3rd person POV.

But a 1st person POV has its advantage too. While you can include internal thoughts or feelings in a 3rd person POV, it's still much more natural in a 1st person POV. By describing the world and the story from one person's POV, you also allow your readers to get to know your characters better, including their tastes or their verbal tics for example (Careful though, it can also become a disadvantage. In my first chapters, once again, I was told that I didn't describe my MC's feelings and thoughts enough, dehumanizing her).

If you're a newbie writer, I'd suggest you to go with a 3rd person POV. Personally, I write my story in a 1st person POV 90% of the time. Just like you, I was afraid that too many internal monologues in a 3rd person POV would disrupt the reading too much, and since internal thoughs are importants in my story, I went with a 1st person POV (I was also influenced by the others' writing style). But to be honest, I kind of regret it. Like I said above, I made a lot of mistakes ^^' I'm used to it now, but if I had to do it again, I would go with a 3rd person POV. It's much easier to write this way.

As for internal monologues in a 3rd person POV, if it's written the right way, it won't be disruptive. If it's short and punctual, you can include them using quotes. If not, you can use free indirect speech. This one is my favourite and, in my opinion, the best way to include personal thoughts in a 3rd person POV without disrupting the reading.

And for the tenses, once again, it depends on your writing style. Personally, I think writing in the past tense is easier (it feels just more natural to me. I tried writing at the present tense once, it didn't go that well xD). However, some writers are using the present just fine (like Andur for example). It also depends on your POV. If you're choosing a 3rd person POV, then no problem, but if it's a 1st person POV, you won't be able to use past tense all the time. You'll occasionnally have to use the present tense, mostly to describe the action.
https://image.ibb.co/b9GDV8/8.jpg
Banner by Shimitsu

[ The Administrator ] : Just another reincarnation story with an OP MC.

Choosing the POV and tense depends on the story and the writer. Generally, the story chooses the POV in that it's what benefits the story the most. 1st person works best when a story befits from a story to be seen from the character's prospective. It not good for multiple prospective though.  I personally recommend no more than two because of voice. That the thing about 1st person I've seen far too many online not consider.  1st person seems like the easiest of POV. Some even recommend it as the best one to start with. However, it easy to pick up, but hard to master for the reason of voice. A good story written in 1st person will have a character with a strong voice.  It's hard for most writers to do that with multiple characters. Not something I recommend for a novice or someone who is unfamiliar with writing in 1st person tackle right off.  

3rd person is kind of the all-round POV. Works very well for nearly everything. It's the easiest to learn how to write.  Easiest for readers to read.

Omniscience and internal monologue, well, I suppose if your are doing this for a single character because it says something about the character, then sure. However, doing it for all of them, multiple times, and in great length akin to Shakespeare. I question why the writer didn't just write the story in 3rd limited.  

As for tense. that's something I will say, up to the skill of the writer as much as it depends on the story. However, it's best just to default to past tense. It's better if you do.  Despite how many try to use present tense, it isn't an easy tense to pull off. To me, it highlights flaws in a writer's writing skill because once you notice badly written present tense, everything else is just more noticeable. Skill is more important to have in present tense. However,  if a story you want to write must be told in present tense to get the full effect, I would practice first. I don't write in present tense because I've not thought of a single story that would benefit from it.

If you can write a very interesting internal dialoge and have an entertaining narrative voice, then you can go with first person. If you cant or if you're going to need to switch POV often to tell the sort of story you want to tell stick to third person.

As for tenses, always go for past tense. Pick up any book and 99 times out of 100 it will be written in past tense.

Writing in third person is my favorite, but the downside is that I always have to be careful not to spoil what's going on ahead with my third person view. For example, saying "however" or something like that seems to spoil what's happening, and I have to be extremely careful not to use too much dramatic irony to spoil any surprises.

However, I feel that writing in first person is a bit hard for me, as it's hard to discern what exactly the character can see, and making sure you're not writing about things the character shouldn't be able to know.