What should previously powerful characters act like when they turn weak?

In my story, the MC used to be echelons stronger than how he is now. What I am wondering is how that difference should be communicated in what one writes. Dialogue, in how a character acts, or how they think.

Should they be arrogant? Should they accept it, or be in denial?

No idea, that's why I am asking.
Currently leveling up my writing abilities will release a new story soon.

RE: What should previously powerful characters act like when they turn weak?

'Anime-Sensei' pid='825065' dateline='1497304713' Wrote: In my story, the MC used to be echelons stronger than how he is now. What I am wondering is how that difference should be communicated in what one writes. Dialogue, in how a character acts, or how they think.

Should they be arrogant? Should they accept it, or be in denial?

No idea, that's why I am asking.

That depends on the type of your character. 

If he/she is a cowards, then they'll live in fear and act respectful towards all others due to his/her fear of losing more(losing their life). Bidding time till they get back what they've lost.

If he/she is a arrogant egomanic who doesn't use their brains much, then they'll keep acting arrogant. Though it may lessen from the initial levels of arrogance.

If he/she is a rational person who uses logic more than emotions, or has more mastery over their emotions and desires, then they would move on and strive to get back what they've lost. They'll blend into the background and wait for opportunities. Of coarse they won't be idle in the mean time they'll build up their own powers(political, self, resources, and etc...).

Someone emotionally weak or too dependant on the lost power would obviously be in denial. They would ramble about unfairness and shout out in rage. Basically act like a lunatic, or become really depressed. 

If he/she is a person with a bland personality(not to passionate, but not to cold). They'll have a short period of time where they'll be angry/sad/depressed, but they'll become normal eventually. Then they'll just be.... normal.

How they got their power will determine how they deal with the loss. If they worked hard to get what they have, they have probably attained the kind of resilient character to do what they have to do to get it back. They might even enjoy the challenge of starting over. If they got the power through cheating and treachery, and they're emotionally immature, they might sulk or throw a temper tantrum. It really depends on how the writer wants the character to be perceived.
An Urban Fantasy Set In A Unique Universe
Eight God Engine

Other aspects should be taken into account as well, alex and Vze offered solid advice on how the character should react from a personal level. Take that, and then add on external pressures that may adjust how they react. It can help add complexity and dimension to your character. For example, did your MC have friends or family that are in trouble now that he has lost his power? Is there some other threat that caused him to lose his power that he has to worry about returning? Do the people around him know he used to be powerful, and now that he is weak, take advantage of that to harass/exploit/taunt?

The more things you take into account when deciding how your character reacts, the more depth it allows you to show. Just be careful not to go into too much detail at any one time, it can be a fine line to walk, but an interaction with the townsfolk here, an altercation with something somewhere else, an emotional outburst, all slowly building an image of who your MC at their core.

I am a spider, my story the web, the readers my prey.

https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/19644/dragonfall-soulborn

Thats the kind of moment where you really get to show off your character's flaws, imo. I believe everyone has already given you a pretty good summary of things that could effect how your mc reacts, but bear in mind that you would want to keep the impact of the power loss by focusing on the personality flaws (and how they may or may not overcome them.) What I mean by that is, if they don't struggle in this new situation, the impact of the change and the value of their strength will diminish. Just my two cents. Good luck with your story!
https://goo.gl/tHnDsL
A proud member of Writers to The End - We finish our fictions!
[My Website
]

My thought is that he should be more reserved. He's already been through everything once so he knows what mistakes to avoid making. The older you get, the more reserved and calm you become.

Nothing screws something up like a hot-head. As you get older, you realize that more and more.

These are some examples of how young, rash, and hot headedness make problems worse.

Ex 1) If you make a good criticism on a forum, but act like an ass about it, you'll probably be insulted and ignored just for spite.

Ex 2) If you have a contract dispute with a company and make a huge fuss about it in public. Even if you are in the right, the public will probably be pissed off at you anyways, not caring that you are right, then donate money to try and pay for the bad corporations legal fees just to piss you off.

Rash decisions like above just continuously happen when you are young. And it's a sign of age when you stop making them.

There are a few ways you can go about this, depending on the character's personality:

1) The main character is arrogant and always showed off his power, so when he loses it he unconsciously puts himself into shitty situations in which he can't get out of because he's so used to flaunting his power that he doesn't know how to suppress his arrogance and not get beat up.

2) The main character goes batshit crazy and locks himself in his room and sobs and stuff and gets a mental breakdown.

3) The main character does something kool and becomes millions of times stronger than he was before, usually because he made some sort of commitment which changed the way he was thinking and improved his mindset, and stuff like that.