Why yandere?

I recently got myself into shojo LNs/mangas/anime as I wait for other novels to update and I had just noticed that there are a lot of yandere. A LOT.

Many of these present a yandere character as romatic.

I don't understand how many people consider yandere as romantic. 

I do appreciate a good yandere character for their brokeness. Their obsession from their tragic past or something. I don't like them as a person. But, they can be a good character, like how people like villains. They can be a biggest jerk ever, and yet so well built that readers can appreciate how much of a jerk they are (and why).

Like hey, I like all Lannisters.

But, I don't understand this popularity of many yandere characters. Why are they considered romantic? 

Or, why does yandere reverse harem sells? Why does abusive relationship sells?

RE: Why yandere?

Definition of Yandere: meaning to be sick, and deredere (????), which is defined as strongly and deeply exhausted, infatuated, moonstruck, head-over-heels, or lovestruck, but in this case used for "lovestruck."
-(chiefly Japanese fiction) A fictional character who fits the archetype of being genuinely romantic, loving, kind, merciful, sparing, sweet and gentle, but is at the same time brutal, psychotic or deranged in behavior. The psychotic tendency can be both sudden and ever-present. Often used for both comedic and dramatic displays of character.
Read more at http://www.yourdictionary.com/yandere#igl9ehqtb4HLSit3.99

Normally, Yandere are portrayed as psychotic and murderous to everyone that touches (or sometimes even looks at) their love- as per the meme goes, but if you dumb it down to an obsession is there a difference then in the way you see it?
An example: A normal meek young girl with the tendency to stalk her love to learn all she possibly could about him. Her heart aches every time someone else talks to him. She wants him to say her name she wants him to (insert action)... but she's too afraid to confront him. So she keeps at a distance, eventually she does something... and that could be anything.

The way I see it, Yandere is romantic because they are head-over-heels in love and will be loyal to that love no matter what, in their own way.
•Often they will obtain that love no matter what stands in their way.
•Often they will be jealous of others to the point of having murderous intent.
•Often they won't know how to express their love so they do crazy sh*t (this can be pretty adorable sometimes).
•Often Yandere will do whatever love commands.
It all really depends on characteristics of the individual character.

Another thing. I do not see Yandere to be strictly a someone x someone relationship. I would also apply it to ideals and wants:
I have this random story/character idea where a female has an obsession in wanting to be part of a harem and will go as far as forcing, blackmailing or manipulating others to join, (Haha... that idea sounds more and more fun every time I think about it... but I prolly won't go about writing it anytime soon).

Anyways, ya. Hope that helped some.
Also, hand me some of those links to Yandere stories~!

RE: Why yandere?

I definitely agree with Chiisutofupuru. To add on to that, I think yanderes can also be romantic because of their brokenness. Deep romantic love always features some kind of need for your partner's presence, and yanderes take that to an extreme. Personally, I don't think I've ever really found yanderes romantic (besides maybe Yuno from Mirai Nikki), but I get where other readers are coming from.
We Don't Want to be Main Characters!
A comedy featuring every trope I could find and some that I make up. - Hiatus.

After I Lost to the Demon King
A short story about a washed-up adventurer.

https://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg