Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

Tips for Rewrites and Revisions

My tip for rewriting is, don't do it. You will never be happy with your earlier work and chances are, you probably won't even be happy with the revision. You'll just end up seeing all the flaws and lose interest in writing.

Just don't let it get to your head if you write a popular fiction. The best rated list is not filled with good authors. It's filled with okay authors who found a gimmick people enjoyed reading about. There's the odd gem that truly deserves attention.

Take the Amazon author of Portals of Infinity. He found a cool gimmick and got an audience. However, his audience shrunk with every sequel. He tried writing several other series and never found a new audience.

Most people just don't understand story writing. An interesting concept alone can make up for myriad flaws.
I think there may be a misunderstanding here somewhere. I don't want to rewrite for the sake of my audience, I want to rewrite for my sake. My original goal of writing a story and throwing it on this site, was to see if I could. Well, I can and I didn't do a terrible job. Now I want to improve.
Over the course of time, I've become attached to my characters and it makes me think that I didn't do them justice when I was building the foundations of my story. In fact, I want to solidify my foundations so I can build something bigger and better. I think that throwing in book changing concepts out of nowhere is weak writing and I don't wanna be 'that guy.'
Soooo, yeah. Now that I know I can do it, I want to do it better. It seems like most of you are taking a very web-novel approach to the concept of rewriting, but don't normal authors edit and revise over and over again?

Tl;dr : Saying 'the best way to rewrite is to not rewrite' is a dumb answer and you should all be ashamed of yourselves. Tsk tsk.
Adding to DarkD's first paragraph:

I agree you should continue to finish what you already have, only THEN should you re-write it.
Why?
Well, because right now your mind is still focused in the 'what comes next'. If you start over you lose that! Finish being creative first!
If you finish first, you have this solid full outline for your re-write!

If you finish, you've finished something, AND you will be driven to finish again!

If you think you are better now, you'll probably say the same thing again later anyways.
(Don't be like me and get stuck re-writing again and again eight times over when you only reach half way.)
Hello everyone,

I have a question about the rewriting. How many times do you rewrite to get the perfect one? Sometimes I make a mistake and rewrite too many times. It looks like that I start to lose the right pathway and just keeping rewriting... Is there an optimal rewriting number?
No, there is no "perfect" one.
If you are not satisfied with anything you write you will have to settle for "good enough". (Like a true artist Wink
Interesting points to consider...nice post!