What would be the most cliché amalgamation of RRL / LN stories?

Since RRL has a lot of very similar stories with similar settings and plots help me come up with the most cliché over-used trope-tastic plot you can imagine. Feel free to make your own or add to this one.

I'll start:
"Come, join our protagonist, OP McMainguy, as he plays the latest VRMMORPG. However, he while playing the game he and rest of classmates are summoned from the game to the world very much like it. Betrayed by his classmates he dies and comes back as an Elder Lich. With the power of necromancy he will learn the Devil's Dao and cultivate his way to becoming a Diety. Backed by his harem of sexy succubi and vampires OP McMainguy will travel the world showing that he is not to be trifled with."

... okay, maybe a bit overboard, but that's the fun of it!

What will you add?

RE: What would be the most cliché amalgamation of RRL / LN stories?

A lot of cliches and tropes stemming from JP and CN webnovels. Pretty much, the oversaturation of certain "styles" with the fantasy genre as of the moment in here.

It really depends if you're looking to make something divergent from the way the Japanese and Chinese base their fiction on. I will wholeheartedly admit that it becomes very hard to separate yourself from that style of writing and imagination if you've become too accustomed to reading them (something I struggle with even now, to balance and accept)

It's somewhat of a case of the circumstances leading to RRL's situation, as I imagine that the readership here is still mostly young and thus, prefer the literature they've stumbled across the most (JP lightnovels/ webnovels and CN stuff).

I can only shudder at the thought of how some of the older readers might think about the these "developments" in RRL's shift in taste (Japanese and Chinese light novels/webnovels).

I can't imagine how some of the older people who've grown up with Tolkien, King, Pratchett, etc would think of the stuff that we've written for the most part, haha. 

The thought of some older, jaded person reading something like: "J-jeez, Onii-chan! You only needed to ask if you wanted my body!," said [Japanese name] as she blushed and cuddled around [Japanese Protagonist]'s arm. 

I hope they can extend an olive branch and understand we've grown up in a different culture from theirs (one where literature is global and people have gotten immersed by another culture's take on the genre).

In the end, it's really a matter of what you want to write and nothing more. Doesn't have to be in the style of a traditional western high fantasy to be good, just has to be what you want, even if it's another Xianxia story or a Japanese Dungeon Core/Reincarnation/Game Element/LitRPG.  :)

Man suddenly a super serious reply - I thought the game was adding in more ridiculous cliches! But yea I found this site via another forum talking about translated JP/CN webnovels. So I imagine thats a fair portion of the readership. But it is a bit weird trying to read stuff by obviously native English speakers written with Japanese names I have to admit though, like ...why? You can have ridiculous harem tropes with a guy named Mike as easily as a guy named Takashi.

cliche' "douche bag/graceless/ungainly" CN-Novel MC

cliche' "innocent" JP-Novel MC

cliche' "modern-high-moral" General-Novel MC

cliche' "dark-vs-evil" trope

cliche' "animal-ear animal-tail" cuties

cliche' "evil-but-then-not-so-evil" MC

cliche' "King-father Princess-daughter" trope

cliche' "fanatic religions corrupt nobles in-fighting royalty" trope

cliche' ranking system ('A-Rank Adventure' as in Magic-fantasy & 'Magnus-rank Mage' as in M.A-Fantasy, etc.)

cliche' JPese honorifics ('-sama', '-san', '-chan', '-kun', etc.)

cliche' JPese expression ('Oi', 'Hai', 'Ne', etc.)

cliche' 'All-High-&-Mighty'/'chuunibyou' naming sense of M.A-Fantasy ('Thunder Mountain', 'Dragon Roar Punch', 'Void Emperor', 'Divine Cultivate Technique', etc.)

cliche' "hiding true power" trope

'Vetapox' pid='825879' dateline='1499144792' Wrote: A lot of cliches and tropes stemming from JP and CN webnovels. Pretty much, the oversaturation of certain "styles" with the fantasy genre as of the moment in here.

It really depends if you're looking to make something divergent from the way the Japanese and Chinese base their fiction on. I will wholeheartedly admit that it becomes very hard to separate yourself from that style of writing and imagination if you've become too accustomed to reading them (something I struggle with even now, to balance and accept)

It's somewhat of a case of the circumstances leading to RRL's situation, as I imagine that the readership here is still mostly young and thus, prefer the literature they've stumbled across the most (JP lightnovels/ webnovels and CN stuff).

I can only shudder at the thought of how some of the older readers might think about the these "developments" in RRL's shift in taste (Japanese and Chinese light novels/webnovels).

I can't imagine how some of the older people who've grown up with Tolkien, King, Pratchett, etc would think of the stuff that we've written for the most part, haha. 

The thought of some older, jaded person reading something like: "J-jeez, Onii-chan! You only needed to ask if you wanted my body!," said [Japanese name] as she blushed and cuddled around [Japanese Protagonist]'s arm. 

I hope they can extend an olive branch and understand we've grown up in a different culture from theirs (one where literature is global and people have gotten immersed by another culture's take on the genre).

In the end, it's really a matter of what you want to write and nothing more. Doesn't have to be in the style of a traditional western high fantasy to be good, just has to be what you want, even if it's another Xianxia story or a Japanese Dungeon Core/Reincarnation/Game Element/LitRPG.  :)

It's not so much cringing at the influence of international literature, that's perfectly acceptable. There are tons of very well written japanese, chinese, korean novels.
Just not the ones you'll find on the internet, usually because they aren't meant to be consumed by a 'serious' audience. Basically, imagine RRl stories getting translated into those languages and being heralded as the pinnacle of literary achievement by those people.
Yeah, that's what makes me cringe.

Also, MC Mcmainguy goes around the kingdom establishing inns and marrying beautiful little girls (but he's not a lolicon!!2!) and becoming the evil demon lord guy after defeating the real evil demon guy!
https://goo.gl/tHnDsL
A proud member of Writers to The End - We finish our fictions!
[My Website
]

McMainguy joins a tournament where his former classmates will be joining. They don't recognized him since he's immortal/undead. He killed some of his classmates in the tournament and the audience was amazed by his awesomeness and cruelty. At first they mocked him and now praised him because they're the easiest crowd to sway. Then shit hits the fan.

-ingredients for a harem consist of >=1 Human princess, >=1 Beastgirl cutie, >=1 elf girl, >=1 demon girl

-there're always spells such as "Fireball", "Firelance", "Earth wall", "Earth bullet", "Wind bullet", eventhough there shouldn't even be the concept of "bullet"

-monster hierarchy: slime - (horned) rabbit - (dire) wolf - goblin - bear - hobgoblin - orc - goblin king/chief/general - orc king/chief/general - orge - wyvern

-how to start a 'totally-complete-full-filled' travel: travels, encounters bandits halfway, beats them to pulp, loots, reachs town, joins adventurer guild, rents an inn room, buys supply, equipments, goes on quests

-the whole big world somehow uses the same language everywhere

-the MC always knows all the languages relevant to the fiction one way or another

Hey, stop trying to steal my ideas! They're too original to be stolen by the likes of you!

Are we having Truck-san show up INSIDE of a VRMMORPG now? Because that sounds amazing. XD

Did we forget the part where the character is granted powers by one of the Seven Deadly Sins (Gluttony or Wrath Probably) and has to defeat the other slightly less strong Sin-Powered foes?

Oh, and a character who is introduced to be the main character's rival/obstacle but never gets any screen time or dialogue aside from the occasional cut-away moustache twirl? Of course by the time he meets McMainguy, he has to be nowhere near powerful enough to beat him and fail to present even a little tension.
Sing the ode of the Stick, because Sticks can't actually sing...

Please check out my current project! Rebirth: Rise of the Slave Master
Updates every day, and sometimes twice a day! 

'sinkingship' pid='825924' dateline='1499229304' Wrote: Oh that's a great unsung cliche - obviously the first chapter / prologue details MCs unfortunate encounter with truck-san / fatal disease / random knifing (bonus points if they die saving a girl); so the journey can truly begin!

Jake Chambers is crying in every possible universe. Randall Flagg is laughing his ass off :D
"There are two kinds of people: Those who create to become someone great, and those who become someone great to create."
- Katherine Sun