RE: Prologues?

That's not what prologues are for.

An effective prologue isn't there to serve as a pure introduction. Prologues are there to provide reader's information that's important to the story but at the same time, not so important that they need to read the information provided to understand the story. It's not a first chapter or a place to info dump.

Basically, if you are going to go into detail about what you a planning to write in the prologue in the story itself, then you don't need the prologue.

And to be honest, they aren't necessary. Don't feel as if you need to write one. A prologue is something a writer chooses utilize because the story calls for it.

I REALLY want to drop a link here about prologues but it is broken :(
(I sent in a support ticket)

...but ya, prologues are for setting up the atmosphere, showing a single domino in the plot and/or showing minimal setting details (give or take). It is NOT about dumping info about your MC(s) or the world. I'd recommend not even writing a prologue till... well, later. After you know a great deal of what happens, or happened, or what will happen in your story (in detail). The prologue is where hook#1 should be, since it is likely that it is the first thing your readers will read.

You don't even need to write a prologue at all! Just start with chapter one! (>Like LadyAnder said!)

'HayBarry101' pid='826094' dateline='1499778703' Wrote: Question all you who answered or if anyone else can answer that would be fine
would it be fine to have just alittle part of a later chapter but say
-in a different perspective
-not the full picture
-prologue takes place further on in the story

Having the prologue be in medias res is a super common thing. And if you do it right it works really well - it's a famous trope for a reason.
~writing is hard~

Personally, I dislike prologs. A prolog is usually something separate from the narrative, to add perceived needed detail. I personally prefer it when this information is part of the standard narrative (worked in as needed).

For example, this is a common use of prologs:

Prolog: The dark lord plots the downfall of all life on Erath, and tells his lieutenants how no one could disrupt his plans.
Chapter 1-N: John and Jill are summoned by the council, have great adventures and disrupt the dark lords plans.

The narrative feels much more compelling, if instead of having a prolog, we discover during the story that there is something isn't right. Then later on, that something is threatening all life. That threat is an evil plan by someone. And then later on, it's a plan of the Dark Lord's. (who, in this example, turns out to be John and Jills mom who disappeared years ago).

YMMV, just my thoughts.