Pro Forma (Foruma?) Introduction

OK, so this site is a lot to digest, and I'm a bit out of phpBB practice (despite spending a decade on the Stephen R. Donaldson board), but as I plan to spend a fair amount of time here, I figured I should start with an introduction. If I'm making any noob mistakes, chastise or flame me as I deserve.

So, hey, I'm Jack (aka Dustin if you're on the LitRPG FB group). Process technician for an LED company by day, aspiring writer and sometimes editor by night and whatnot when family life or my own tendency to waste large amounts of productive hours on games doesn't intrude. Just hit 40, and I'm originally from NV but eventually landed in the Raleigh-Durham area of NC after my Navy years.

I came to the sub-genre by way of my old friend Joshua Nelson, the author of Resurgence, whose second novel, Restoration, I edited (and then edited the first for a 2nd ed.). I have a B.A. in English, and over the years I've worked as an editor of a lit mag and a writer/editor for a government agency.

I've been a gamer my whole life, back before it was cool. I'm more of a console RPG guy—FF up to X, Dragon Warrior/Quest, etc. back in the day, more recently stuff like Mass Effect (Andromeda was alright) and my personal favorite of all time, Witcher 3. I was pretty heavily into WoW several years ago (maxed lvl 60 human DK with Loremaster, what?) before it almost caused a marital rift (I still say she was overreacting).

Other than that, I'm a huge fantasy geek, sci-fi to a lesser extent. The aforementioned Donaldson, Steven Erikson, Gene Wolfe, and so on.

Any questions, let me know. I work a rotating 12 hr schedule, so if I don't respond for a couple days...

RE: Pro Forma (Foruma?) Introduction

Welcome to RRL! As a huge fantasy geek myself, I can assure you that you will feel right at home in this site ...after you read a few JRPG isekai stories of course.

If you are here to read, then there are 12, 000 stories here for you to choose from. Tip, after reading the first 1,000 reincarnations and  LITRPG stories you might feel that everything is the same, that is so not true. You just have to dig deeper, I promised you many unknown writers are gems hiding in the bottom. You need some recommendation, go to discord or just ask directly in the forum. 

If you plan to become a writer then that is even better!  The most popular genres are the LITRPG, reincarnation, transported to another world, and Xianxia, But that doesn't mean that less popular genres don't become successful here. Sci-fi has their own followings, and of course the standard sword and magic stories. Just be prepared for reader interactions. Our readers tend to be more... hands on than normal. 

I think professional editors like you have a lot of things to contribute to a newb writing website like this, so I hope you enjoy your stay and I'll see you around.

[th_101_.gif]
Check my fictions
"Invincible"
"Gamer of the Dead"
And the newest  "Slam No Basuke"