How do you guys keep track of plot/characters/etc in a fiction?

I'm planning to just wing it, yeah, but how do you guys keep track of all the events that go on in the fiction as the fiction gets longer, and longer, and longer?

For example, you might want to denote the times when a character levels up a skill for later in a LitRPG, but the skill-up messages eventually overwhelm your feeble memory and you're forced to write it down ... somewhere.

Thanks and good luck!

RE: How do you guys keep track of plot/characters/etc in a fiction?

Just have another doc you don't upload that tracks the stuff that's relevant to the story, I actually have two myself. One for character names / time of introduction / relations / physical descriptions. And one for more vague plot type stuff I want to keep track of like the positions and characteristics of various groups on the world map at the start of the story, notable magical items and magical words, a few blurbs about the internal functioning of various groups, etc...

If it's important write it down is what I think, even if the reader doesn't get to see all the behind the scenes stuff - it should be there.
~writing is hard~

I don't really write things that continue on and one just for the mere fact of how hard it is to keep track of everything just winging it. In fact, the longer something gets, that harder it becomes to wing especially if you aren't that good with that style of writing. I'm not good at that neither will I bother with it anymore.

I write shorter things that are more manageable so I can keep up with everything so I don't write myself into a plothole or have everything just fall apart. I don't outline per se. I do have a timeline where important events are added. I mean the more complex the plot is and the the cast grows, the more I have to know where I'm going. I usually devote a single notebook or journal to a story where I keep all my story related details in.

'sinkingship' pid='827098' dateline='1502735500' Wrote: Just have another doc you don't upload that tracks the stuff that's relevant to the story, I actually have two myself. One for character names / time of introduction / relations / physical descriptions. And one for more vague plot type stuff I want to keep track of like the positions and characteristics of various groups on the world map at the start of the story, notable magical items and magical words, a few blurbs about the internal functioning of various groups, etc...

I do the same, just I keep a LOT more so I can find things easily. At last count, I had around 16 documents - spoiler-free samples being "Factions", "Characters", "What people know about the main character" and "Government". I find just writing it down somewhere helps a whole lot - even if I'm capable of remembering it anyway.
My (Science) Fiction - Desolate Stars.
And historical - Out of the Motherland.
Go to a new fiction. Review it. Help the little guys.

So for starters I am just going to throw out there that I'm not that much of a writer, only having one story in development but currently with a serious case of writer's block, I know everything that is going to happen but I don't know how to translate that to "paper".

What I actually do when planning my stories is first create a general draft on how my story is going to end, so the first status page I create is the end game for my character. Then I create the initial character sheet, create a draft plan for every title, achievement, ability, etc.

In all I create a slide presentation with the information of character development for each chapter, that includes level, items, experience gain, location in the world, companions abilities, gold... with the slides I find it easier to locate whatever I want for each chapter.