Life in Thar'al, a more 'down to earth' reincarnated into a fantasy world webnovel

Hey all!

I've begun writing a webnovel about the protagonist reincarnating into another world. I am writing it because I love those kind of stories and there are plenty of japanese webnovels I've read in that genre.

Life in Thar'al:
https://royalroadl.com/fiction/13554/life-in-tharal

However, I always find myself disliking some of the tropes and absurdities that exist in that genre.

Stuff like harem, absolute power, deus ex machina power ups at convenient times, hard to explain omnipotent magic systems and weird level up systems. Also, status open, blegh.

The world of Thar'al is definately a magical world, however magic is more logical than in conventional fantasy novels. There is no such thing as fireballs or those kinds of attack magic. Rather, magic and mana is something that supplement the world itself. And while it is possible to create fire, water and wind, those kind of techniques are not considered battle techniques but exist mostly for convenience. As they are hard to apply in battle in any meaningful way.

Battle magic shines in strengthening ones own body and senses. So fights are physical and there are no unbreakable barriers. 

Also, it is a world where even the weakest creature has the potential of delivering a deadly blow on the strongest. There are no powers that make anyone invincible.

My protagonist is in no way all powerful, well he is even blind, but it is quickly explained that his blindness is actually his one advantage. But even though his advantage is pretty damn amazing. It does not directly strengthen him. His advantage is on the level of being unable to be surprise attacked. And he probably won't die from a stray arrow at least. (Well, I will make sure that doesn't happen. ;) )

As for the main story, I want to keep it a light somewhat romantic and comical adventure for the most part. People who start reading it will probably say "Yuri" quite quickly. But I'm not gonna make it that easy for the protagonist. So we'll see.

There already exists one main bad guy in the world, but for now I think the story will follow a couple of arcs with 'minibosses'. Although there probably will be hints every now and then as to the identity of the main bad guy. For now, I won't put on any pressure from that bad guy in any case. :D

RE: Life in Thar'al, a more 'down to earth' reincarnated into a fantasy world webnovel

Nice, there are already people starting following the story and even got a couple fo good ratings (isn't it too early to start rating though? Well, I don't really mind.).

I'm super glad there are people enjoying it though. I had looked at other new works on here and didn't have very high hopes at first that the story would be picked up.

I'm really getting fired up now! :D

RE: Life in Thar'al, a more 'down to earth' reincarnated into a fantasy world webnovel

I just got an idea for the novel.

It don't know if it is going to be a good idea or a bad idea.

Short story, my novel really takes off in chapter 3. The first two are introductory.

So I was thinking of swapping around chapter 3 and chapter 1.

Would that be considered bad taste or acceptable? I feel it might be able to hook people easier on the story. But maybe it's too much of a knee jerk move?

If anyone could share their opinion on this matter I would be much obliged!