New member, Need advice. I Keep rewriting my 1st chapter before even finishing it

Hello, everyone. just joined Royalroad about a month ago, I have a an idea for a story that I really wanted to do that for the first time I actually made a general outline and notes for it. I had thought it was coming together, I keep re writing the first chapter.  The story is about a boy who is gonna start playing this VR game. This game is so popular that there are televised team leagues and tournaments centered around it. Top players are basically the equivilant to sport stars and celebs.
 My problem is that I keep rewriting the chapter because I keep changing my mind about the MC's motivation for playing. Initially his motivation was trying to win a regional tournament with the winnings to be used to pay off his debt,  but i keep wondering if this conflict is really needed. I've been debating between if  he really needs an real life problem to motivate or he could just be wanting to play the game because he's enamored and just wants to see how if he can make it to the big leagues.
I still want there to be developments in RL for him beacuse the leagues and tournaments are goning to play a big part in the story still.  Because I feel like i'm starting to overthink this (something I tend to do)  I wanted to see if can get some advice.

RE: New member, Need advice. I Keep rewriting my 1st chapter before even finishing it

First of all, welcome to RRL.

Second, you're in the right mindset. Too many people publish stories when we are only in a place where you only have an idea of a ... situation. "I have a great idea! My MC will become the strongest in the world!" so the author introduces the MC and he shows that the MC can easily beat up some fodders by chapter 1 and ... well, nothing else. Another Hiatus story. To be honest I fell for the same trap myself so poo on me. 

There is no such thing as overthinking your story. If you feel that there is still something missing or not right about your story then believe in it and keep looking how to better your story. There is no timetable before you publish. If you can finish the storyline then hey, that 's even better!

I suggest you read "Lion's Quest" by Michael Earle, It's a good combination about life in the game world and life in the real world, and the MC is a world champion gamer as well who deals with the pressure of being a celebrity.

I would also suggest that you giving your character a real motivation is a good idea. In fact, I would go so far as suggest and go overboard and put some quirks and unique way of thinking for your character. Sadly, the VRMMO storyline is already well used and if your character is not interesting or unique, your story will sink into obscurity.  

So do it right, make an awesome story and publish when you're ready. Good luck and keep writing!

[th_0fire.gif]
Check my fictions
"Invincible"
"Gamer of the Dead"
And the newest  "Slam No Basuke"

RE: New member, Need advice. I Keep rewriting my 1st chapter before even finishing it

This advice won't work for everyone but it might help you if you're stuck in rewriting first chapter forever and ever:
Keep writing without even looking at what you wrote the day before.

Depending on what kind of writer you are you might find that if you just keep writing and making shit up as you go along you'll just figure out what type of MC you have by chapter 4 or whatever. Even if inconsistancies start appearing between chapter 1 and chapter 4 and by chapter 5 your character is completely different than how he started in your head or in chapter 1 - just go ahead and write chapter 6. Once you sit down at and think "ok, now I know where my story is going and what my characters are" then you can go and dare start rewriting chater 1.

Though to each his own and another writer would think what I'm saying is heresy and to them it would be.

I agree with DieEasy.

I would have the same problem as you, I would get stuck for weeks or months on one chapter. Later I tried to keep writing and not look back at what I wrote for a while. I'd let myself get several chapters ahead, then look back, do some light correcting, then write again. I will write for weeks before going back and editing now.

By the time I got to Chapter 50 or so, I would realize that the beginning is entirely wrong with how the story was going. I found that motivations in the beginning not only didn't fit, but even contradicted the progress of the story and lead to restrictions. I had to fix and change things going way back, but it made for a better story.

Sorry to make this all about me, but my point being, like DieEasy said, just keep writing. Once you get far enough ahead and understand your story, and its directions a bit better, you can go back and edit chapter one.
Well then, I suppose I should stop messing around.

'DieEasy' pid='828395' dateline='1507493119' Wrote: This advice won't work for everyone but it might help you if you're stuck in rewriting first chapter forever and ever:
Keep writing without even looking at what you wrote the day before.

Depending on what kind of writer you are you might find that if you just keep writing and making shit up as you go along you'll just figure out what type of MC you have by chapter 4 or whatever. Even if inconsistancies start appearing between chapter 1 and chapter 4 and by chapter 5 your character is completely different than how he started in your head or in chapter 1 - just go ahead and write chapter 6. Once you sit down at and think "ok, now I know where my story is going and what my characters are" then you can go and dare start rewriting chater 1.

Though to each his own and another writer would think what I'm saying is heresy and to them it would be.

You sir, just described how I got over the exact same problem Op has. I got to drafting chapter 5, and on my fifth readjustment of the first chapter's draft to match up with the later chapters before I realised what kind of person my mc would be.
I'm now scared to do chapter 6 after submitting the first 2 chapters, since I fear more readjustments might be needed. But My MC is a known person now, I just need to move ahead and get to know my supporting characters before releases have caught up with my now finalised 4 chapters.
I'm doling them out slowly to stay ahead of the curve, but I think I will actually have my second mini arch/batch ready by end of next week, and thus have at least 1 remaining of the current batch while I finalise the next batch. I just have to get the bridge chapter working.
My fiction

Cheers!

Personally, I start writing and don't stop. The goal is to get as much on paper as quickly as I can. I know that what I write is not perfect. I also know that if I start reading what I wrote the I'll start rewriting and never get past chapter 1.

That being said, once I reach a natural section break (not chapter- many chapters) or an act, then I stop and reread.

I do have an outline of sorts and character notes to refer to and amend. When I am thinking about my story during downtime, I jot down notes and flesh out the outline.

My process, fwiw, get the story out, then fix it.
My first story on RRL, please give it a read and a rate:  Space Opera