How to write for dummies?

I came up with a story. The setting isn't anything out of the ordinary, in fact it may even be overused. The whole premise and the main plot are quite frankly pretty damn original though, at least as far as the things I've read of similar genres. Even the main character is, pretty original, it may not be a good character by most people's standards, but it's original none-the-less.

Now my problem starts with the actual writing. I believe myself to have a decent amount of creativity, but when it comes to writing, I'm horrible at it, maybe because I've never actually written anything in my life. Though, I've read close to 100 books this year alone (albeit short ones, mostly light novels and RRL stories), but I still have trouble writing.

So far I've written only one chapter. The parts where I'm explaining things about the world and characters flow very naturally and I find myself lost while writing about it. When I'm describing actions or scenery though, it all goes to hell. I just can't describe anything without making it sound weird as hell. I constantly find myself looking at other stories to see how other writers do it, but when I try to adapt it to my story, I fail miserably at it.

For the time being, I'm writing the story in First Person view. My idea was to write in present tense, but I often find myself using past tense, some things just feel more natural in past tense while others sound better in present tense, but I know I should just stick to one.

Should I maybe try writing in Third Person view? What do you find easier?

Please, oh mighty authors of RoyalRoad, what tips do you have for this peasant?

RE: How to write for dummies?

Where you are right now is what I call the dreaming stage. This is actually an integral part of every writer's journey, whether or not you decide in the end to be an actual professional writer or just writing for a hobby. 

I find Naruto too cheesy for my taste but one of the morals they are telling is actually true: there is no shortcut for hard work. It is easy to understand how you get to the point where you are right now. You have read hundreds if not thousands of sci-fi or fantasy books.  Then one day, you consciously or unconsciously bring together all the things you like in a story and take away all the things you don't want in a story and then there it is: the ultimate super story ever! 

I don't know what to tell you. Since you mentioned that you haven't written anything in your life, then the only way to fix that is to start writing. not about your story (for now) but just simply to gain experience in writing. I suggest doing short stories. What I do is try retelling stories of popular kindergarten stories like red riding hood or the 3 little piggies. Try retelling those stories in your own words. 

Forget about the tenses for now. Although they are important in the long run, it is not part of your immediate problems. For now, all you have to focus on is how to tell a story. Concentrate on how the characters are described, how places are described, how they interact, how you can expand on the action scenes, how the author ends the story, and how and when the author injects what he wanted to tell in the story. After you created several short stories, then go back to all the hundred or so stories that you already read and find the ones you actually enjoy and then re-read them. Not for your enjoyment but to analyze how they mesh their own stories. How do they introduce their own characters? Why are they putting that particular scene in the story? How do they transition from one chapter to the next?

The sad truth about writing is that it is actually a form of work, and you have to spend a sizable portion of your day EVERYDAY to be decent in it, That its boring, and repetitive, and you will only find the good result you've been dreaming of after you are finish writing garbage for a hundred if not a thousand times.

My suggestion is that since you haven't written anything yet, then practice writing short stories for a year or so and only then do you write your story. You might say, Meh. Fk that. I'm excited to tell my story now! Well you can also do that but more likely what will happen is that after you  have written 5-10 chapters then you will drop the story on your own, either because  of lack of feedback, or there is actual feedback from haters telling you that your story sucks, or that you have accumulated too many plot holes, or you simply don't know how to move forward anymore with the story.

You are asking how to write for dummies? The answer is simple: one letter at a time.

Unfortunately, there is no shortcut to writing, you simply have to do the time and grit your teeth.
Check my fictions
"Invincible"
"Gamer of the Dead"
And the newest  "Slam No Basuke"

'batotit' pid='829769' dateline='1510503427' Wrote: Where you are right now is what I call the dreaming stage... It is easy to understand how you get to the point where you are right now. You have read hundreds if not thousands of sci-fi or fantasy books.  Then one day, you consciously or unconsciously bring together all the things you like in a story and take away all the things you don't want in a story and then there it is: the ultimate super story ever!

Bravo. You've read me like a book. Not being sarcastic, this is actually exactly what happened. With only one or two exceptions, every story I've read had several things I disliked about them. Even when the premise was fantastic, often the execution felt lackluster, even if it didn't, it still had plenty of problems, at least that's how I feel about them. I want to do something that's been done before, but I want to do it better. I want to get rid of all the tiny little problems and do something great. Of course chances are It'll go very badly, but in my head everything is perfect.

'batotit' pid='829769' dateline='1510503427' Wrote: I don't know what to tell you. Since you mentioned that you haven't written anything in your life, then the only way to fix that is to start writing. not about your story (for now) but just simply to gain experience in writing. I suggest doing short stories. What I do is try retelling stories of popular kindergarten stories like red riding hood or the 3 little piggies. Try retelling those stories in your own words.

My suggestion is that since you haven't written anything yet, then practice writing short stories for a year or so and only then do you write your story.

I actually hadn't considered doing this, as simple as it might sound, I really appreciate it.

'batotit' pid='829769' dateline='1510503427' Wrote: The sad truth about writing is that it is actually a form of work, and you have to spend a sizable portion of your day EVERYDAY to be decent in it, That its boring, and repetitive, and you will only find the good result you've been dreaming of after you are finish writing garbage for a hundred if not a thousand times.

My suggestion is that since you haven't written anything yet, then practice writing short stories for a year or so and only then do you write your story.

Sadly, I already have a day job, so writing something sizeable every day just isn't possible at this point in my life, but I definitely won't say "Meh. Fk that. I'm excited to tell my story now!" either, you sound experienced enough to know that I will definitely crash and burn if I do that.

That being said, I will definitely follow your advice and begin by retelling short stories, then I'll try to write my own short stories until I feel like I'm doing well enough to write an actual web serial. I can't be sure whether or not I'll succeed, but I will definitely follow your advice.

Thank you for sharing your time!

Because writing is internal and we can see the product, but not the process, it's easy to misunderstand the difficulty of the process.

Imagine someone who'd watched hundreds of basketball games but never played a day in their life. You wouldn't expect them to get on the court and properly dribble, let alone pass the ball to another player or make a 3-point shot.

If you're starting out, do whatever is comfortable because you need to focus on just doing the writing. Short stories are good, but if you want to write a random fight scene, that's also good. Want to spend five pages writing about the trees? Also good. The thing about being a beginner is that everything you do isn't that good, but everything you do will show improvement if you start working at it.
Total Words: 596,800; Highest Ranking: #260; Unique Followers: 6,084

'SJ Reaver' pid='829777' dateline='1510512098' Wrote: Because writing is internal and we can see the product, but not the process, it's easy to misunderstand the difficulty of the process.

Imagine someone who'd watched hundreds of basketball games but never played a day in their life. You wouldn't expect them to get on the court and properly dribble, let alone pass the ball to another player or make a 3-point shot.

If you're starting out, do whatever is comfortable because you need to focus on just doing the writing. Short stories are good, but if you want to write a random fight scene, that's also good. Want to spend five pages writing about the trees? Also good. The thing about being a beginner is that everything you do isn't that good, but everything you do will show improvement if you start working at it.

Doing a bit of necroposting here, but meh. slow forum anyway, and I'm having trouble getting started writing my stuff.
I'd like to add something to what Reaver talks about here. 
All writing is good practice.
It doesn't matter if you are just angry and rambling about something that bothers you, or if you just saw a pretty girl you like. Write it down, put your feelings into words, put what you see with your eyes into words. turn everything into words. make it a habit to put words to everything you see, feel and hear. Even if you can't write it down then and there.
A good story is one where the author has put words to a characters feelings, desires, and surroundings. Words that communicate those feelings in an understandable and relate able manner. just go out and experience shit. stuff you need to know personally in order to describe properly. within reason ofc. 
Do not rely on second hand descriptions when it's possible to experience it yourself.
My fiction

Cheers!