RE: How do you use sound effects?

Depends on the situation, the mood and the atmosphere within the story. I sometimes mix it up.
Usually though, (for clarity) you describe what the effect was, so the sound effect isn't really needed because it can be considered redundant:

Bang! The front door slammed open...
vs
The front door slammed open...

Also, a slamming door could make a totally different sound to your readers than the effect you provide. I think it's safe not to use them.

Onomatopoeias are nice, but I've always thought not to abuse them, or it can really jut out and take someone out of the story. There's also the fact that describing noise through words can be difficult and easy to mess up. Just imagine reading, "The wind blew in the distance, enveloping my ears, WEEEEEEEEEEEW."

I agree with Chiisutofupuru. It depends on the context of what you're writing and personally, I always mix it up if I do choose to use them.

Just be aware that other people in different places and culture interpret sounds differently. And since you are writing in RRL with an international reader base, it might lead to misunderstanding to your story.

Example:

The Hero tensed up when his faithful dog companion started barking at the darkened corner of the side street.
"Aww! Aww! Aww!" said the dog. But suddenly, a clawed hand-

Reader 1: Is the dog sick? he sounds funny.
Reader 2: What do you mean? That is how dogs always sound.
Reader 1: No they don't. My dog always goes "Woof! Woof! Woof!"
Reader 3: Na ah! My dog's neighbor always goes "Arf! arf! arf!"

[th_0v.gif]
Check my fictions
"Invincible"
"Gamer of the Dead"
And the newest  "Slam No Basuke"

I don't use them. There's just too much of a difference between my first language and English and I dislike to google all that stuff :D

I would use them in "(first person) action packed scenes" when a long description would break the flow of the action. Besides that most examples I read felt weird to me. Describing a scene in colorful words just to add "boing" two paragraphs later? It either breaks the scene or feels like filler to get more words out of it.

I've read some examples where it worked alright for me, but overall they make me lose interest in the novel...

'doggo' pid='829787' dateline='1510518302' Wrote: Do you think it is better to explain or simply write the effect? 

If you explain, how do you do it? And if you choose to write, how do you choose the correct word for it?

I write from third person singular, So I describe the mc's perception of the sound. If he can't see it, then it's sound only, without any link to visible action, just a description of how the MC is feeling about it if needed If he can see it, otherwise detect the motions, then the sound is accompanied by the cause.
I try to use show don't tell, so a synonym dictionary is my best friend in the world. 
I.E.
Jack felt a drumming under his belly while lying under the bush. Something big was comming, His throat constricted in fear. This was going to be it, he would die here eaten by some huge beast with large teeths. Maybe even a T-rex. 
A incredibly loud chirping call reached his ears. The chirping was a slow deep bass, followed by many other answering call's from all around him.
Suddenly the bush he was hiding beneath got torn away in a sudden jerk, exposing him to a view he will never forget. Just a meter away, a beast so large that it practically covered the sky above him stood on four huge pillar like legs. Each step of the giant beasts causing a miniature earthquake that reverberated trough his very core with a cacophony of sounds. Jacks legs wobbled dangerously as he rose back on his feet. shouting out a roaring cry of relief.

As you can see, I'm not using all that many sounds, ignoring anything that isn't reaching the characters attention. It's his experience that counts, not the actual sounds themselves.

I never use onomatopoeia myself. It's far too easy to sabotage the flow of the story, although there are some exceptions, like when a cry or shout that contains non word elements. Like shouting out to get someones attention happens.
My fiction

Cheers!