RE: Readers -- How do I get them?

This is just an assumption of helpful advices to attract readers:

Have a cover and a nice title. Covers for me are big sellers. I believe visuals can entice the reader long enough to look at what's the title and what's the synopsis of the story. If they like the premise, they click the first chapter and give it a go at least.

Release your chapter periodically instead of releasing your chapters all at once. That way, your story would be on the 'latest updates" like vocaloid said. Keep popping at different times to see if people were interested fast enough to click on it.

Have a lot of content in the beginning to keep up a regular schedule for a while. I felt that if an author certainly stopped releasing for a long time after a few chapters, that's a negative. Just like kanadaj said, readers usually stick around or come if there was plenty of content to be read.

Then finally, it comes to personally taste. Not everybody is gonna pick up your story due to taste. Harems, lolis, isekai, dense MCs, you know the usually things that people have a problem with. But, as long it's a good story and have wonderful characters, I think it's gonna be fine. Write whatever you want. Make sure it have decent grammar, bad grammar is a story killer.

But... I think a way to get a lot of readers' attention is to get your fiction on 'trending fictions.' How do you get on that? I believed it involved multiple factors. Including, getting positive ratings and reviews, and a steady growth of followers. Once, your novel is on 'trending fictions,' the sky is the limit with some effort and luck.

Feel free to disagree or suggest a better advice. I am a rubbish writer of course. Haha.

'Vocaloid' pid='833616' dateline='1521159290' Wrote: There's something called the latest updates on the main page. Whenever you release a chapter people will see it. As long as your content is interesting, you'll begin to retain readers who might bookmark or favorite your fiction so they can find it again when it updates easier.

Interesting content. LOL. That is the key. 

Thanks

Seems like a lot of good stuff has been covered, but I'd also like to throw in that having a hook - making the first chapter, paragraph, line of your story engaging - doesn't happen nearly enough on this site.

Put in a joke, a bit of action, a piece of dialogue, something, anything, engaging, and do it fast! I can't count how many times I've opened a story to find three pages of geography or an info-dump or just plain blandness. The story might get better later on, but by then I've usually gotten bored and left. Be dramatic! Be ridiculous! Be funny! But be interesting.

I have a lot more patience for a story that starts strong and then goes weak than a story that starts bland and gets better later. You only get one first impression; make it count! The description and first few paragraphs of your story deserve as much attention as the next several chapters combined. Hook them first, then you can reel them in later.
Overgrowth - A dungeon-ish LitRPG starting with a shipwreck on a tropical island. Not isekai.

Also, make sure to edit your book before posting. When I finally got traction it was short and slow because I just wrote something and published it without looking it over. Definitely turned off a lot of people. 

Now that I got some readers from following the points others have mentioned I went back and edited my chapters. ALOT more of my readers stay readers now.
https://greatlitrpg.com/wp-content/uploa...-Cover.jpg https://jllincoln.com/wp-content/uploads...-Large.png

A LitRPG adventure with Moba and Town Building elements - Legends of the Great Savanna
A Cyberpunk Coming of Age Story - Milton
Get more beta readers with the LitRPG Book Finder tool