Re: Now recruiting Reviewers, more info inside

Hello, I'm Necamijat. Some of you may know me as an author (don't ask about my fictions please) and as a super moderator.

I've come together with a few members of our community with a goal to make a Reviewing group, seeing as how reviews are something that is greatly coveted and appreciated, especially with a community consisting of young and new authors.

Currently, our core belief is that The Feedback Troupe (name still pending) will serve as a place for up-and-coming authors to come and ask for genuine feedback on their work and ways on how to improve it, as well as know that what they're getting is as close to objective as possible.

There are plans to make this an official RRL group (with its own forum space), but until everything is solidified and I actually have a long chat about that with Wing and kanadaj, a single Discord server and some shared documents will have to do.

What we are looking for now is more members to get us started to see if the system will work.

Requirements for Reviewers:

• (Obviously) a registered and activated RRL account

• Willingness to work in a group

• Willingness to review at least 2 fictions in a month

• A Discord account

• It is preferable that you are an author, but not mandatory

Requirements for Requests:

• Must be at least 20 000 words long (that is 72 pages)

• If the story is shorter but complete, it can be accepted on a case-by-case basis

Additional features:

• First impressions: Think your prologue/first chapter is no good? Someone will go over your story's beginning and let you know of their general opinion. No review will be issued at this time

How will a review work:

• Option A: One member does the entire review, start to finish, collaborate with the rest of the group for presentation

• Option B: Multiple members collaborate on the review from start to finish and then present

• The review must be based on at least the first 20 000 words of the story. If the reviewer doesn't read the story in its entirety (as available on RRL), he must note where (for example chapter count) and why he has stopped

• Time limit for a review is currently not set, but is expected to be between 2 and 4 weeks from the request date

• Reviews are then privately shown to the author before publication. If the author does not wish to have portions or the entirety of the review publicized, he may request so. We'll try to work with them to come to an agreement.

If you've got questions, feel free to ask in this thread, I'm fairly active on the forums and will probably respond within 12 hours max.
If you want to become a Reviewer, PM me, either here or on Discord (I'm on RRL's server and hard to miss).

For review requests, we won't be accepting them just now, but check back in a while.

RE: Now recruiting Reviewers, more info inside

I might be up for this. I'm in the RRL discord, if you want to PM me.

However, I think you should spell out what reviewers are required to do a bit more clearly; although I'm up for two reviews a month in my mind, I'm not up for line-by-lining two 100k word stories; nor am I up for forcing myself through a story that's in a genre I hate, or with an MC I just can't stand.

What's the minimum required for 'a review', I guess?
Overgrowth - A dungeon-ish LitRPG starting with a shipwreck on a tropical island. Not isekai.

Re: Now recruiting Reviewers, more info inside

'Not_A_Hat' Wrote: I might be up for this. I'm in the RRL discord, if you want to PM me.

However, I think you should spell out what reviewers are required to do a bit more clearly; although I'm up for two reviews a month in my mind, I'm not up for line-by-lining two 100k word stories; nor am I up for forcing myself through a story that's in a genre I hate, or with an MC I just can't stand.

What's the minimum required for 'a review', I guess?

Added: 

• The review must be based on at least the first 20 000 words of the story. If the reviewer doesn't read the story in its entirety (as available on RRL), he must note where (for example chapter count) and why he had stopped

Also note that if there is a sufficient number of both reviewers and requests, you can choose which ones to review beforehand.

That concerned me as well Hat, the OP outlines a minimum wordcount for writer's but doesn't have any explicit outline for the reviewer. I suppose the service is aimed at newer fictions? And it could be inferred newer means sub-100k words? I dunno I feel that's the sort of thing that should be spelled out explicitly - the difference in time commitment between reviewing a 20k word fic and a 200k word fic is considerable after all.
~writing is hard~

'Necamijat' pid='834488' dateline='1524578127' Wrote: Added: 

• The review must be based on at least the first 20 000 words of the story. If the reviewer doesn't read the story in its entirety (as available on RRL), he must note where (for example chapter count) and why he had stopped

Also note that if there is a sufficient number of both reviewers and requests, you can choose which ones to review beforehand.

Alright, that seems fairly reasonable. I'll PM you on Discord.
Overgrowth - A dungeon-ish LitRPG starting with a shipwreck on a tropical island. Not isekai.