Collabarative Space VR, Looking for Co-Author

Hello forum lurkers. I am PeliusAnar and I hope you have read my current story Anti-Hero: Journey of Fear, if not the MC is coming for you. I have not seen a collaborative fiction on this site and I want to make a go of it, partly for the challenge and to push myself as a writer.

I am looking for a single person to start up a collaboration space VR with. Please take your time to read through this entire post if you are interested.

CONCEPT

A space VR where there are teams of up to six people who control various space fearing races. The VR is goes 24/7 so the people have to manage how they run their empire and can give only limited instructions when they are off. Teams are ranked in the real world with the top teams receiving a percentage of the subscription revenue every month.

While teams could ally, it is a common occurrence for the larger alliances to crumble and reform in order for individual teams to gain an advantage. Each month the system is reset as well with teams being randomly positioned, better starting locations are given to higher ranked teams from the previous month.

Think RTS with millions of people being played continuously. Each team starts off with robotic mining systems, some basic ships, and other minor starting gear. Starting choices make a big difference along with technology choices and combinations in determining a team’s success against the current meta-build.

The plot would follow two teams. One who tries to succeed by doing everything themselves and defeating all other teams without alliances through superior tactics. The other team would work on building alliances and trying to work with other players. A single team would have to micro manage quite a bit, but there success or failure rests on their shoulders. A team leading an alliance would have to manage all the different groups to prevent betrayal while keeping themselves the strongest.

The story would follow these two very different groups of people as they try and take the number one spot every month from each other and the rest of the competition. Leader board rankings would be determined by the number of systems controlled and overall combat potential. There are probably other ways to play, but I would like to start off with as big a difference of play styles as possible to keep the story exciting.

STARTING OFF

If you are interested, please answer the following questions. I encourage you to use more than one word to answer.

1) What is your best story? Please leave a link. This is your resume. I would read your work to determine writing style and posting history. If you haven’t written anything then I encourage you to start. If I don’t see anything posted, I have no idea about your writing style or level of skill. Also free advertising ;p

You should check out mine Anti-Hero: Journey of Fear
http://royalroadl.com/fiction/4244

2) How much time can you spend on this? I write a lot. I mean a lot. I don’t expect you to keep up with me, but I would like to have a pretty fast writing pace. Think upwards of 5000 words per week. I know people have RL issues, but I don’t want to switch after I have picked someone to work with.

3) What do you like most about my concept? If you don’t buy into it, then this won’t work. So let me know what you like. We can build and change it, but I can’t think of any other way to write a good collaborative space VR.

4) What is the most important thing for interesting space combat in your opinion? This will be the main challenge in keeping the story fresh. You need to be able to come up with ideas about space combat. We don’t have to agree, but we need to be self-consistent and passionate about our ideas.

5) Which team would you like to write for? The loner team or the alliance building team? I feel I could do equally well with either. My biggest strength would be the space combat, and the weakest would be the personal interactions of the team.

6) What time zone are you in? I am in EST, if we want to talk over the phone/skype then this makes a difference in terms of connecting up to hash out ideas.

7) How long do you think you could go for? Burning out is a big risk and would ruin the collaboration. So I need you to consider about what kind of pace you are capable with along with other commitments. I am probably going to slow down my main story after New Year’s a bit. In order to focus on this and other projects.

8) What is the most amazing space tactic you have ever read/heard/thought about? I am curious to see what people consider cool. I am personally a fan of the cloaked asteroids placed in orbit around a planet in order to blockade it. (+10 cookies if you know the character who did that)

9) What rating are you comfortable with? Do you want a clean VR with no violent deaths or do you want graphic detail as ships get boarded and people vented into space. Also personal interactions between people in real life. If you say you are okay with any rating, I hope you read my story first to understand the level of violence I can write at.

10) What title do you think the story/VR should be called? I was thinking Galactic Dominion: Race for the Top. Catchy, and sums up the story.

11) Do you only want to do one season (1 month of this story), which in my mind would be about 10 chapters? If you prefer to only be part of this project for a shorter period of time, that changes how we would collaborate going forward and the kind of arcs we write.

WRITING PROCESS

This is all open to change, but I was thinking we both write out and compare the level of technology and how space combat would work. There are questions like, ‘Are there lasers? If there are, how are they shielded against? Sand canisters, what  counters are there?’ This process would take about a week, possibly with one-two phone/skype chats.

Then we would write. We each write a chapter and then read the other person’s chapter once our own is done. We would proofread, post, and then go onto the next chapter. Your plot/arc would be your own with the expectation of some sort of conclusion at the end of the tenth chapter. Chapters would be 4k-6k words long.

We would need at least one conflict between our teams. The first 3-4 chapters would set the tone of the teams and give them a chance to show off. The next 3 chapters would be building up to their confrontation and we can help edit in cross references going forward to show how the conflict is getting closer and closer. The last chapters would have a major conflict in depth. The last chapter would be a post-mortem and the characters getting ready for the next season.

POSTING

This would be something we have to discuss. I have two options. The first would be to keep our chapters as separate stories and cross link them. I personally would prefer one story site, but again this is debatable.

The second option is that we could post on one person’s page and go from there. I am okay with being the ‘supporting’ author. We would have to discuss more in depth if we go this route, but it should be doable.

THIS WILL CLOSE OUT ON 12/12/2015. I will send a PM to the person I want to work with by 12/19/2015.
"At least it was artfully done."

The last words of the best fictional anti-hero. Thank you Timothy Zahn.

MY STORIES

RE: Collabarative Space VR, Looking for Co-Author

Not looking to collaborate, just clearing some things up....and expanding on your idea.
So I have a creative mind, and your idea is weird.... but I like it! 

First Question, this is based in the future i'm amusing, correct? Since this is a VR, is time parallel to earths or sped up. (Meaning 1 hour in game is 1 hour in RL?) (Considering it's RTS style i'll assume real time.

Second Question, Space combat mature? Considering it's space when you blow up a ship people will die. Also with mature themes you can make the story come to life more. Relations can be spread out as well.

Third Question, 5k words a week? Is that a mistake? You plan on releasing one chapter a week?

Me Expanding on this idea. You can take what you like, I just randomly thought of stuff that seems to be cool.

Teams are a group of six people. Considering it's space, let them be aliens coming from various planets. However the time is in the future so humans are also in space.

The alliances are set at a limit. There can only be five teams in an alliance making it 30 people in total. When a team is sent out to do combat, the alliance can also send reinforcements after xxx minutes. (Reinforcements only number 4 people)

Instead of VR everything is real. There is certain death if you die, no rest. The universe/world is expanded on letting you explain more knowledge about the future. This type of event was already happening, and there are already teams/alliances in place.

The goal for them facing off as you said can be money. However instead of pure death match they have certain objectives. When the team faces off against another team, they get an object (Which is random). This would allow you to avoid killing the two MC's off right at the first 10 chapters.

Since this isn't VR anymore and the company is not paying them someone else is. Audience from around the universe watches them fight it out, and they can place bets on their favorite teams. When a team win they win a % of the bet, after each match. Which would then go to the members and to upgrades/repairs.

In space there are not only ships doing battle but mechas. This allows for better tatics when facing off.

As for the two MC's.... One could be the son of a pilot who wants to be just like their father/mother. They create a team of their own and compete in the big leagues.

The next MC doesn't want to do it, but they need the money. They find out by doing this they can buy enough money to leave the galaxy, however they are bad with people. So instead of people the MC makes androids to help him out, (Which still means they are a loner.)

Just me expanding on your idea. Hope you do well when writing this!

(Also, instead of one chapter a week, post the whole thing at one time. So you and other person write the story, tell each other whats ok/not and develop the plot. Once you both have 10 chapters you post them all in a day. Not at once, but like one chapter every hour. This will help your audience grow, and give people something to wait for.)
Just your average person who writes for fun~
My Fictions~
5 Dragon Emperor
Virtual God Zu 
1000 Lives Relives 

First, thank you for you lengthy response. Yeah! Second you should reconsider.

Time is the same. 1 to 1. This makes a challenge as teams need to have someone on all the time in order to manage things directly. So you have people who just play for fun and the hard core teams. Also RL can get in the way.

The mature I am not so sure about. It was mainly for situations outside the VR. I think this could actually be rated much lower now that I think about it.

Yes, 5k a week at a minimum. It would take time to read the other person’s entry. Two chapters a week, one from each writer.

First I wanted this to be like the TV show Survivor in terms of style. You have a core concept that you start off with and then as you go along you add in different twists for each season to keep it fresh. Aliens might be season 7 or something. Alliances can grow big, but only the team leading it can win. This would lead to backstabbing later on near the end of the month.

The players are acting as a Smart AI, managing their fleet. Vessels and tasks can be automated, but there are limitations depending on the size of the ship’s core. So you can’t tell a fighter to go make peace with another team, but you can send it on a loop around a system and tell it to return if it runs into combat.

I prefer the victory or defeat model. Maybe in a later season there can be a king of the hill type objective. Even if the MCs are killed off they can come back next month and compete once more. I don’t want it real, because that makes the RL tie in much harder.

No mechas. Mechas are not practical or anything else related to true space combat. I can’t stand mechas in space, since it is unrealistic. Ships would be boxes, for the most part. Smaller craft like fighters or frigates would have an atmospheric design, but all those fancy vessels you see in movies are….not realistic. Eye catching but not realistic. Why in god’s name would a space vessel built for combat have windows? Why would the bridge be at the top of the ship and not the center?

I do like posting the entire thing at one time and then moving onto the next season/month.
"At least it was artfully done."

The last words of the best fictional anti-hero. Thank you Timothy Zahn.

MY STORIES

Not applying for the job just thought I would let you know that this looks interesting. If I had more experience writing, I would love to jump on this bandwagon and help out. However, since I just started my first story, I don't have the capacity nor the skills required to help. Therefore for now I look forward to reading this story. Good luck! P.S. Will be checking out your other story it looks interesting. :)

For this type of story you are writing (Especially if it's going to be like a survivor one) I don't think a VR situation would work well with this. It could work, but then the readers will know the characters will come back.

The reason I suggested it being non-VR is because it'll keep the story way more interesting. No one but you/other writer knows who will die and who won't. This keeps it more thrilling and adds to the suspense.

Let's say in Season one you had these ten chapters of building up the plot/characters/story and then the MC's clash. Sure when one dies they'll end up coming back later, but in a survivor story that wouldn't happen. If it had real world aspects like no restart, only one life that would make it even better. When they do clash, and one or both die the readers will be like "What's next?" adding the the hype of the story. When Season two or even at the end of Season one you can add a hint or even show who the next character will be.

Not to mention having the side characters or even the main characters go through psychological changes as well. Some will be like "I can't do this anymore, I don't want to die." Others will react differently, and some will soon lose themselves. This will also add more to character development and the story.

As for mecha's sure it's unrealistic now, but you are talking about space combat. We don't have a ship going around in space with laser's/missiles. Thus this story is already meant to be futuristic, therefore Mecha's could be realistic in this time. However, it is your story so there does not need to be any.

If there aren't any mechas and people are only fighting with space ships then it'll be more like star wars/space trek (I think? Haven't seen either one....).

Next, how would this even be like VR? Do the characters level up? Do they have stat points/skills? Besides them reviving once they die, I don't understand how much of a VR type of situation this could be.

If you do make them have stats/skills what would they be used for? I mean they'll sit in a space ship controlling the situation and planning for their next move.

Thus a VR situation wouldn't really work. However a realistic approach would not work much either. Ten chapters (10 for each writer) does not have much to go on. The readers will only really read 50k words in total because each writer is writing for their own character, and considering the characters are starting at the same time it's basically from two different perspectives. Although ten chapters for a Season is tv like style, you can't really do that for this (You could but ...) I mean the readers won't get attached to the characters much. I mean how much content can you put into Ten chapters to really grab the reader? I suggest the chapters are longer than 5k+ words or make the Season longer than Ten chapters.

Think about it. Anyways i'll be waiting for this :o seems interesting.
My Fictions~
5 Dragon Emperor
Virtual God Zu 
1000 Lives Relives 

Hrmm collaborative fiction? I've participated in two of these and they both failed. Mainly because one person disappears or falls behind in the writing.

My advice to you is to drop the VR part, VR fictions tend to much more tedious to write and also are often balanced poorly in both level and story progression.

Another piece of advice is to reduce the required word count to 2k per week at first and increase the limit later. That way it'll be harder for the other writers to fall behind and easier for another writer to step in and catch up faster later on. AKA easier to rope in more people or replace people that dropped it.

I would join in on the chaos of this, but I have my hands full with my own series.

But shoot me a pm of the doc anyways, when I have the time I'll pop in and PR, give advice, or even play the role of a non-important character.

Send me a PM or link of what you have so far. Tomorrow after my exam i'll see what I can do with another character. That or i'll just go ahead and write something, then you see if you like it. We can go from there, but I am currently working on 2 stories. However I might have time since it'll be one chapter a week.
My Fictions~
5 Dragon Emperor
Virtual God Zu 
1000 Lives Relives 

Well, this certainly seems interesting. I've written some stuff. You can check the link in my signature for my RRL google drive folder. There's plenty of scraps though so I suggest you check out the "active" folder first. If not, just follow the links provided for my RRL posted stories.

I just wanted to say that I'd be able to help you work out ideas and/or help you/your team figure out the systems by which the mechanics work, even if I'm not personally writing myself. I tend to not have a good time of writing.

Answers to the questions if you want them.
1) Genesis, Silicon World, Not Quite an Author (Yet)
2) Actual writing progress/time is slow, but as mentioned before, I'm quite open for discussing the world, mechanics, system, and other ideas if you want.
3) I'm fine with any idea as it can get real interesting real quick.
For example: dolphins >> add vampires >> vampire dolphins... do something >> they evolve and have become an intelligent pestilence intent on exterminating the vile humans >> cross species wars ensue.
4) Interesting space combat? Not exactly sure, but the flight mechanics and how they get around the whole inertia/maneuvering bits would be nice. The problem with any combat really is making a play by play be succinct and interesting, but long enough to satisfy your readers.
5) I'm more of an ideas/screw around with an idea until it sounds interesting and has some meat to it than a make words blossom on page kind of guy. At least that's what I think. Maybe I just need more practice with writing and some more confidence.
6) Time zone is Pacific (utc 8:00)
7) I'm not sure how long I'm good for as I mostly coast through stuff. I'm there if you need me for something though. You just need to tell me what.
8) Tactics... that depends largely on the world/system mechanics. If there's warp gates, a strategical defense/offence use of said gates would be kinda cool. Also, using the terrain would be common sense. You want to wipe a planet out of existence, no need to send a subjugation party, simply throw a big enough space rock at them.
9) I'm fine with violence and graphic scenes in moderation. From what I've read of yours, it's a bit over the top but I haven't caught up due to finals and time constraints IRL.
10) Title? Something simple, succinct, and to the point. That one is fine with me.
11) as mentioned previously, I'm not much of a dedicated writer per say, but I can help out a lot with mechanics, systems, and ideas you wish to discuss and expand on.

Oh, I think i get it now. Just finished reading your "writing process" bit. It sounds like each writer would be responsible for maintaining one particular team/team style in game and write for their perspective. It's an interesting concept, but you'll need pre-planned reconnect points or tangents between the two stories. Especially if you want parallels or have hints dropped between the two.

Anyway, just PM me if you want some help with ideas and expanding on stuff if you want. I've got winter break right now so I'll have plenty of time for stuff so long as I can get the motivation. I'm currently trying to punch out a little short story for christmas.
RE:TTC | Support Your Authors | WriTE + Magazine | LitRPGS | INKED | RRL Music Playlist | Gashapon Art Machine | RRL Discord
Congrats, you've found the following item: <Potato.> Would you like to add it to your inventory?
<Yes>/<No>
P.s. Too lazy to finish cleaning up my forum sig right now. Ignore half the links please.

'PeliusAnar' pid='436708' dateline='1449284157' Wrote: Hello forum lurkers. I am PeliusAnar and I hope you have read my current story Anti-Hero: Journey of Fear, if not the MC is coming for you. I have not seen a collaborative fiction on this site and I want to make a go of it, partly for the challenge and to push myself as a writer.

I am looking for a single person to start up a collaboration space VR with. Please take your time to read through this entire post if you are interested.

CONCEPT

A space VR where there are teams of up to six people who control various space fearing races. The VR is goes 24/7 so the people have to manage how they run their empire and can give only limited instructions when they are off. Teams are ranked in the real world with the top teams receiving a percentage of the subscription revenue every month.

While teams could ally, it is a common occurrence for the larger alliances to crumble and reform in order for individual teams to gain an advantage. Each month the system is reset as well with teams being randomly positioned, better starting locations are given to higher ranked teams from the previous month.

Think RTS with millions of people being played continuously. Each team starts off with robotic mining systems, some basic ships, and other minor starting gear. Starting choices make a big difference along with technology choices and combinations in determining a team’s success against the current meta-build.

The plot would follow two teams. One who tries to succeed by doing everything themselves and defeating all other teams without alliances through superior tactics. The other team would work on building alliances and trying to work with other players. A single team would have to micro manage quite a bit, but there success or failure rests on their shoulders. A team leading an alliance would have to manage all the different groups to prevent betrayal while keeping themselves the strongest.

The story would follow these two very different groups of people as they try and take the number one spot every month from each other and the rest of the competition. Leader board rankings would be determined by the number of systems controlled and overall combat potential. There are probably other ways to play, but I would like to start off with as big a difference of play styles as possible to keep the story exciting.

STARTING OFF

If you are interested, please answer the following questions. I encourage you to use more than one word to answer.

1) What is your best story? Please leave a link. This is your resume. I would read your work to determine writing style and posting history. If you haven’t written anything then I encourage you to start. If I don’t see anything posted, I have no idea about your writing style or level of skill. Also free advertising ;p

You should check out mine Anti-Hero: Journey of Fear
http://royalroadl.com/fiction/4244

2) How much time can you spend on this? I write a lot. I mean a lot. I don’t expect you to keep up with me, but I would like to have a pretty fast writing pace. Think upwards of 5000 words per week. I know people have RL issues, but I don’t want to switch after I have picked someone to work with.

3) What do you like most about my concept? If you don’t buy into it, then this won’t work. So let me know what you like. We can build and change it, but I can’t think of any other way to write a good collaborative space VR.

4) What is the most important thing for interesting space combat in your opinion? This will be the main challenge in keeping the story fresh. You need to be able to come up with ideas about space combat. We don’t have to agree, but we need to be self-consistent and passionate about our ideas.

5) Which team would you like to write for? The loner team or the alliance building team? I feel I could do equally well with either. My biggest strength would be the space combat, and the weakest would be the personal interactions of the team.

6) What time zone are you in? I am in EST, if we want to talk over the phone/skype then this makes a difference in terms of connecting up to hash out ideas.

7) How long do you think you could go for? Burning out is a big risk and would ruin the collaboration. So I need you to consider about what kind of pace you are capable with along with other commitments. I am probably going to slow down my main story after New Year’s a bit. In order to focus on this and other projects.

8) What is the most amazing space tactic you have ever read/heard/thought about? I am curious to see what people consider cool. I am personally a fan of the cloaked asteroids placed in orbit around a planet in order to blockade it. (+10 cookies if you know the character who did that)

9) What rating are you comfortable with? Do you want a clean VR with no violent deaths or do you want graphic detail as ships get boarded and people vented into space. Also personal interactions between people in real life. If you say you are okay with any rating, I hope you read my story first to understand the level of violence I can write at.

10) What title do you think the story/VR should be called? I was thinking Galactic Dominion: Race for the Top. Catchy, and sums up the story.

11) Do you only want to do one season (1 month of this story), which in my mind would be about 10 chapters? If you prefer to only be part of this project for a shorter period of time, that changes how we would collaborate going forward and the kind of arcs we write.

WRITING PROCESS

This is all open to change, but I was thinking we both write out and compare the level of technology and how space combat would work. There are questions like, ‘Are there lasers? If there are, how are they shielded against? Sand canisters, what  counters are there?’ This process would take about a week, possibly with one-two phone/skype chats.

Then we would write. We each write a chapter and then read the other person’s chapter once our own is done. We would proofread, post, and then go onto the next chapter. Your plot/arc would be your own with the expectation of some sort of conclusion at the end of the tenth chapter. Chapters would be 4k-6k words long.

We would need at least one conflict between our teams. The first 3-4 chapters would set the tone of the teams and give them a chance to show off. The next 3 chapters would be building up to their confrontation and we can help edit in cross references going forward to show how the conflict is getting closer and closer. The last chapters would have a major conflict in depth. The last chapter would be a post-mortem and the characters getting ready for the next season.

POSTING

This would be something we have to discuss. I have two options. The first would be to keep our chapters as separate stories and cross link them. I personally would prefer one story site, but again this is debatable.

The second option is that we could post on one person’s page and go from there. I am okay with being the ‘supporting’ author. We would have to discuss more in depth if we go this route, but it should be doable.

THIS WILL CLOSE OUT ON 12/12/2015. I will send a PM to the person I want to work with by 12/19/2015.

1. I do not consider to have a "best story" since i have not finished it yet so here are my fictions http://royalroadl.com/ufcp/fictions

2. Well i can write about 3-6k words per week easily

3. I like the improvising,struggle and the great usage of all technology-related knowledge an alike.

4.Well i have too much on my mind to write about is passively like this but here are some ideas.-Improvisation -way of using resources - strategy -tricks -areas and alike cant really talk about is passively like this.

5. I can write both well.

6.  I am in CET but i stay awake for long so i am accessible  18/24

7. I am positive i can go on for 2-3 months without being successful .If we are successful and have fun i can go as long as i want.

8.Best space tactic i read is when a character lured a fleet in a nebula that caused their systems not to work well.While the meteor field crushed their ships.

9.Haha i am okay with any rating

10. we can always discus that but i like the name -Desolate space or Desolate void

11.Well i think we should be flexible with chapters, depending on the story development we can either shorten the season or lengthen it.

------------------------------------------------

Well this are my "narrow" descriptions but i am very open to new ideas and alike!

So the point is i would like to participate in writing i group novel together with you.

If you wish to discuss more details with me just send me some form of contact or something.

@vesperius, just so you know, linking to here http://royalroadl.com/ufcp/fictions doesn't bring up your stories. That link is personalized as a per profile basis. You may wanna fix that by linking your fiction pages directly. Also, It's been a while since this thread was posted so i don't think any progress has been made.
RE:TTC | Support Your Authors | WriTE + Magazine | LitRPGS | INKED | RRL Music Playlist | Gashapon Art Machine | RRL Discord
Congrats, you've found the following item: <Potato.> Would you like to add it to your inventory?
<Yes>/<No>
P.s. Too lazy to finish cleaning up my forum sig right now. Ignore half the links please.

'j0nn0' pid='492959' dateline='1452920063' Wrote: @vesperius, just so you know, linking to here http://royalroadl.com/ufcp/fictions doesn't bring up your stories. That link is personalized as a per profile basis. You may wanna fix that by linking your fiction pages directly. Also, It's been a while since this thread was posted so i don't think any progress has been made.

Ah so is this a failed project? Too bad it actually seemed quite promising

http://royalroadl.com/fiction/4223

http://royalroadl.com/fiction/2096

http://royalroadl.com/fiction/2064

Well if it happens please inform me ^^

I'm not sure if it's continuing or not, but the OP hasn't posted any progress on this as far as I know. It would have been interesting to join in too as I'm not so good at making my own ideas into reality but can riff off of another's fairly easy.
<Yes>/<No>

I can't collaborate, but if you're looking for advice on certain sci-fi terms, you can ask me. I also write a few sci-fi stories and have researched the pseudo-science of space opera.
An amateur writer going to publish my first enovel. Please look forward to it.

For more of my other stories, visit http://hugginglove.blogspot.com/

If you spot grammatical errors or anything similar, please contact me about it. Thank you much.

Yuri smut or story of a rock. Which do you want to read next?