White's Course on [Originality]

Greetings,

My name is White, rather known through a myriad of sources as WhiteSamurai.

No, just call me white, saves typing space and time.

See? You almost clicked off of this post because it didn't catch your attention right off the bat, don't worry though, that's really just how the human mind works. I'll be making separate posts regarding my various self-discoveries and techniques. If I were to put everything in one place, or rather even try, then almost nothing would actually get to those who need to learn from it.

My guides simply aren't beautiful works of art using all of the various font and layout options available, they only serve to provide the necessary resources to that one person who would benefit from them. Nothing more, nor less.

Now, onto the purpose of this guide, Originality.

What IS originality, as so many authors, fiction writers, and the sort might ask.

The answer? Well, there really isn't anything that is truly 'Original', and in fact, if you try too hard to reach this goal of  'Originality' you might very well lose track of the story itself.

Every fiction, every novel, every idea, every concept, and every person, is unique. That much is true, even if one doesn't use a single concept of their own, the work produced is unique. Whether that work is of sufficient quality to be read and grow in popularity, or receive abysmal reviews and ignored remains to be clarified. That, my friends, is for another Guide at a different time.

So how can one really pursue something original? There are many ideas around this, but i'm going to do my best to unravel my own take upon this rather vague and illusive concept.

To be original is to follow your nature. What you see in yourself, the characters you believe in, the stories you enjoy. What makes you, you, what you see in the world, what you want to achieve. From your ambitions to your dreams, to your hopes to your fears. Everything around you is material to grasp and use. Fear not the critiques, fear not even yourself. Let your eyes look beyond the base value of all things and write what is really you.

That which is wisdom can be conveyed directly to words, and in that wisdom shows character. The more you have seen, the more you have done, the more you have read and the more you understand, the greater your writing can soar. Above the highest peaks to the lowest depths of depravity, every person is capable of reaching these points with their writing, it only takes one's willingness to reach out for it. The human mind is beyond vast and beyond our ability to perceive, within our dreams and within this reality, there are things you can see, hear, feel and touch. From walking amongst a party of adventurers to raging upon the battlefield as a conqueror, seek out your feelings, your emotion, your despair, your anger and joy. Do not write words upon a page, create a reality as you see fit. Words are a source of power, an unlimited path to convey everything that is you.

Works that gain views are called popular because they gained the attention of readers, not necessarily because they are the best. Works hidden away underneath the surface one day can often rise as a phoenix the next as someone points out the worth within.

If you truly seek to create a true work, something that can be called Original, then you need to cast aside your desires that burn deep inside. The desire to be popular, the despair that after a few chapters, no one has read your work, the need for comments and the lust for money or attention. If you lose track of what it is that you are making, then the work will be lost, you, will be lost. You cannot lose track of the path you forge with that first step, you must brave through it. To write a work is to dedicate a portion of yourself with every word, your time, your energy, your emotion, engrave it within the work you create.

That which gives you joy, convey it.

That which angers you, show it.

That which you desire, describe it.

That which you fear, portray it.

That which you love, share it.

While you as a writer may vary by creed, race, language, desire, experience, or anything that makes us human, remember that you have a heart, a soul, an inspiration deep within your being. Express it the only way you know how, and your story, will, be Original.

For help on other aspects of writing, see other Guides made by WhiteSamurai or other fellow writers who are more than willing to help you.

If you ever see someone needing advice and this helped you, feel free to link, reproduce, or share this material. If you are willing, a friendly reference is always appreciated, but as long as these words continue to help others, then that is truly all that matters.

If you have something you need help with, or want an opinion on your work, feel free to drop White a PM on RoyalRoadl and he will get back to you often within a few days.

For more, view each release of "White's Course on-":

The Guide to "White's Course-"

Join the Course For Hands-on Guidance Here

~White