advertisement issues

Hey there folks, I wanted to ask for some help before I blew my top in a rant post.

my problem:
The video Ads on this site are taking up too much of my computer. (I do not want to deal with the lag to check if it is CPU or Disk, but I think it is CPU) When I say too much btw I mean 75+% when I only have chrome open...

How I know and what I already know about improving the situation:
1- After trying a few experiments I confirmed that it is royalroadl that is causing my computer to lag
2- If I go into Task Manager (Ctrl/Alt/Delete) I can crash shockwave and the advertisements, which returns my computer to normal speeds - I used this technique on another laptop to let me read volume 1 and 2 Silva the Destroyer on wattpad > which gave me the same issue with advertisements.
3- If I disconnect from the internet before the advertisements load - like I had to do to type this post - the issue does not come up
4- This problem happens to me in both IE and GoogleChrome - although I have not tried firefox yet.

Why I'm asking for help:
My laptop does not have a convenient button to disconnect from the internet and I'm concerned about what damage I might be doing when I start ending various processes in task manager, so I was wondering if anyone could help me find a better way to deal with such ads, especially as I love reading on this site and currently my phone can navigate faster than my laptop (not better mind you  just faster)...

anyway, if anyone can suggest something I'll try and get access to this page to read it, preferably without dealing with 'dogTV' or a car advertisment trying to blare over my speakers.

Thanks for reading, B_S.
I finally posted my story! Now I just need to stop editing all my posts every three seconds and start working on the next chapter...

Please read it when you have a moment : BKR Bandit King Reborn

RE: advertisement issues

While maybe not the best method in terms of keeping the servers running, have you ever thought of using an ad blocker? I think that some ad blockers actually have settings or options to block specific ad types, ad sources, or even specific ads on page. Other than that, maybe hitting the stop loading button next to the address bar would work. Just hit refresh and hit it again to stop the page once the text loads up. I use that method sometimes when there are video ads that won't stop. Then just turn off your wifi for a moment so that the page doesn't auto refresh itself.

P.s. my mobile device is horrible and the pages go all crazy so stopping the page once the text has loaded and killing the internet always works. I'm not sure whether it's the site itself doing something or if it's the ads, but I assume it's the ads.
RE:TTC | Support Your Authors | WriTE + Magazine | LitRPGS | INKED | RRL Music Playlist | Gashapon Art Machine | RRL Discord
Congrats, you've found the following item: <Potato.> Would you like to add it to your inventory?
<Yes>/<No>
P.s. Too lazy to finish cleaning up my forum sig right now. Ignore half the links please.

RE: advertisement issues

Hey folks, sorry to barge in here like that. Had to remove Wing's post due to her being misinformed and understandably being judgemental about this (even though we knew about the video ads when we accepted the deal with the ad network)

But... This is not an inherent issue with video ads. Your computer, even at it's worst, could still decode about 10-20 of those videos at a time (it's either 120p or 240p). The issue is that there is a bug with video ads lately (I've seen similar reports and occurences on Wuxiaworld) that causes up to a dozen or more of them appear in the same ad unit on top of each other. Naturally, as with any video stream, your computer has to decode these. All of these. Even if you don't see them.

One solution is to just flat out disable Shockwave Flash in chrome://plugins/ on Chrome, or wherever it can be disabled on Internet Explorer. This would leave all non-video ads working, while video ads and flash based ads would either not appear, or would be replaced with regular ones. Mind that this will make some video hosting sites unavailable to you. (YouTube uses HTML5 now so it's not an issue there)

We're in the process of contacting the relevant ad network for a fix, but I have no ETA for the fix just yet.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.