Space/sci-fi recommendations - giving and looking for

I've been around this site for just over a year (edit: much longer than that) now and in that time I've read every sci-fi story I could get my hands on. Sadly, I couldn't find nearly as many as I hoped for alone, and I'm sure there are others in the same position as me. So let's share our knowledge.

Basically I'm going to list every sci-fi story by genre. If I especially recommend it, I'll give it a star.

Sci-Fi VRMMO:Mecha:Fanfic:Military Sci-Fi (also see mecha):Survival (can be post-apocalyptic or whatever, but survival and/or exploration are key elements):Romance/relationship focusMysteryAnd of the ones that don't fit into the above categories,

Individual-focus (can be on a crew or group, in comparison to empire-building below):Empire-Building/Space Opera:Not sure how to categorise:Inactive (stated by the author as dropped/hiatus, not updated in the last 6 months and believed to be incomplete, or less than 5 chapters and not updated for a month):

Sci-Fi VRMMO:Mecha (also in space):Fanfic:Military Sci-Fi:Survival:Romance/relationship:
  • Nothing?!? You dedicated sci-fi romance writers
Mystery:Individual-focus:Empire-Building/Space Opera:Not sure how to categorise, often very short:Deleted (These fictions have been removed from RRL, either for author profit or regret. History shall forever remember the fallen/ascended, or at least I shall):The inactive list was last updated 30th June 2021. PM me if you want a fiction moved back to the active list.

So that's all of it. I did leave out cyberpunk and apocalyptic sci-fi from my personal recommendations, because I'm not sure where that stops and other genres end. If you're annoyed your fiction or your favourite author's fiction isn't on here, please let me know - I'd be happy to have more sci-fi to read. I have also left off links outside RRL for simplicity's sake, but if you feel adventurous there are a few external novels which have been linked in the comments.

I hope now I won't have to search "sci-fi" and scream when I see all the fantasy MMORPG stories with sci-fi in the tags.
My (Science) Fiction - Desolate Stars.
And historical - Out of the Motherland.
Go to a new fiction. Review it. Help the little guys.

RE: Space/sci-fi recommendations - giving and looking for

Thanks for recommending my fic :D

There are a few others I would suggest adding onto the list:
Staying Human *I strongly recommend this one*
How Do You QA Test a Tsundere Android!?
Princess Royale - A Novel Series

I haven't read these yet, but based on what I've heard, they probably belong as well:
Archon
Nowhere Island University
Deep Space Combat School: Nexus

Also, I'm not entirely sure why, but Viken has pulled most of Universe Online from RRL. For what it's worth, RRL still benefits from the remaining Amazon links as Amazon Associates, but people looking for something to read may be disappointed.

Of the ones on your list, I believe The Soul Onboard has also been dropped.
Phantasmal Architect and Author of Tidal Lock - A SciFi VR Fiction
Support your Authors

Noted. I can't believe I forgot about DSCS: Nexus...
There are a few on there that might have been dropped, I haven't seen a new chapter for a few of these for a while, but I still hold onto hope... I know the author of Splinter, for one, recently messaged me and said he was considering coming back to it. I hadn't looked at Universe Online's RRL chapters for ages, either, so I wouldn't know... shame :/ I think he was looking at writing as a full-time job, though, so fair enough if he feels he's losing money.

Meh, might as well throw out my few thousand words worth of stuff then...

if you want sci-fi then you can try A Numbers Game.... that was my attempt at sci-fi..... when will it update? who knows.....

if you want a soft VRMMO try Legends of Zyantra: Immortals.... more of a lighthearted story though.... also has to wait a long time for some updates....

anyway thats my lot, check them out if you like....

AaronDragon out....
My Site (You can find all my Fics, my schedule, my status updates, and all sorts of other stuff here)
Scribes of Darkness (A semi-official group i'm trying to start up, click and find out more)

Thank you for the recommendations. Is LoZ:I a sci-fi VRMMO. or a Fantasy VRMMO produced by a Sci-Fi society? Because I'd prefer not to include the latter, due to their sheer number and how little a role the science fiction actually plays in the story. I tend to categorise LitRPG novels by the genre of the game, given how much of a role it often plays - or just leave them as LitRPG if the genre is less obvious.

'bubbleduck' pid='786922' dateline='1473222172' Wrote: Thank you for the recommendations. Is LoZ:I a sci-fi VRMMO. or a Fantasy VRMMO produced by a Sci-Fi society? Because I'd prefer not to include the latter, due to their sheer number and how little a role the science fiction actually plays in the story. I tend to categorise LitRPG novels by the genre of the game, given how much of a role it often plays - or just leave them as LitRPG if the genre is less obvious.

L.Z:I is definitely the latter, I like to think of it as a high fantasy story where the advanced society of realty outside of the game world breaks in occasionally just to remind us that said game world is still JUST a game world.....

A.N.G on the other hand is definitely a sci-first almost space opera level story.... just I'm probably not going to update it very often or regularly.....
My Site (You can find all my Fics, my schedule, my status updates, and all sorts of other stuff here)
Scribes of Darkness (A semi-official group i'm trying to start up, click and find out more)

My fiction appears on the surface to be a fantasy vrmmorpg novel, but there is actually a lot of science involved and is more science fiction than anything.  I actually went to a physics forum and checked that some of my ideas had basis in reality, and used a lot from both my biology and psychology classes. 

If you want to get a sense of where the actual science comes in rather than just the fantasy and whatnot... start here http://royalroadl.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=82927  Also keep in mind that I already have a computer science degree so there is a lot of that involved.
Read My Web Novel: World Servers

I don't see Coeus? on the list. Maybe we could fix that? It's a mix of sci-fi and magic. It's basically, what would happen if technology advanced along side magic where all the mages of Earth left a long time ago and are now living in a bunch of hyper-advanced hidden colonies on other planets and moons within the Solar System. Might not be every sci-fi nut's cup of tea, but it does raise that question of how other alien species could advance if they went along a different tech tree than ours.

Hi!

I write a Sci-fi/Cyberpunk novella series named "Once Giants".

Once Giants is post-cyberpunk novella series that features the lives of former starlets of a failed bio-augmented wrestling league, who are forced to use their superhuman bodies (in new and creative ways) to survive in the real world after the sport collapses.

Could you have a look and include it on your list if possible?

http://royalroadl.com/fiction/7654

Thanks!

Kirk of Team Contract

I've actually read the first few chapters of your work... I really mean I read everything I could get my hands on. It didn't interest me, in part because the sci-fi was less prevalent than I expected in the beginning. That's most of the reason I didn't include it initially, for the reasons stated at the end of my initial post. But if you're willing to classify the series as Sci-Fi/Cyberpunk, I suppose I judged too early. The one who knows their work best is, after all, the author.

There is something that has been bothering me a long time for now, I have a epic war story/space opera that has been translated to vietnamese(my langauge ) that really stood out form the rest of the chinese novel, It actually remind me of epic space opera like Legends of the Galatic Heroes. I have been keep this story out of my recomadation list because I don't know it's chinese name( I am really ashamed of this TT), It's name in vietnamese(if you can read it) is M?o Bài Anh Hùng . It has all thing related to sci fi like Mecha , EPIC fleet battle, Dog fights, planetary siege and defence,..... MC is a Anti-Hero who is Badass and Disgusting at the same time.
This is the opinion of the translater about this novel.
(this is my translation of the summary so garma mistakes is inbound) ps: war stories in here mean chinese ones and doesn't include others
When reading about war stories or stories that has a large amount of war in it, Most of us only felt the anderline rush,the exciteness, the boiling drama or the impressive strategic brilliantness. Most probally read stories that has Asshole-ish MC for fun,but in this story what we see is.....
Behind the romantic comedy is Blood and Tears,Stood side by side with the floor-rolling humor is the tragicness-Tear jerking and Epic as the same time..... A small nation, a facile and perhaps weak race struggle to protect thier land.
MC is a coward, a pervert, a underhand fat asshole,.. overall a scum but he is a GOOD scum, Even thourgh he is afraid of death,he don't run form it when needed, Even thourgh he is a coward, he stand tall and proud when other fled,Even thourgh he is underhand, he don't afraid to face his enemies head on, Even thourgh he is a asshole, he can be perfect gentalman that every girl want, Even thourgh he is fat, he is one of the best COMMANDO, Mecha pilot, strategician,engineer in the galaxy. That what the MC is, a guy full of contradiction.