Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

Lesson 6: Description

Star 
[Image: 0a92c0dca20302d07c02517e42ed6c4e.jpg]

A picture's worth a thousand words, but you only get 500. Practice your descriptions.

Vague prompt: In 500 words, make up a scene based on the image above. Do not use the word "fairy"

Specific prompt: In 500 words, make up a scene based on the image above. Do not use the word "fairy". I'll name the fairy Tiella for you.
You are nothing but EXP and loot
Fantasia: http://www.royalroadl.com/fiction/98
Eterna's Source: http://www.royalroadl.com/fiction/2635
Lonely Light (Complete): http://www.royalroadl.com/fiction/3569
I'm sorry if I did this incorrectly. I thought about it as 'create a synopsis' or 'create a short chapter about the image' so I don't know what to think. 

Please correct me on any mistakes. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After having succeeded her goddess, Tiella begins her new reign as the goddess of nature. Her first ordeal was to revive her fallen world, the very reason she came to be as the apprentice of the great goddess Odessa. 

Having gone through various trials and hurdles that tested her worth as a mortal, she stood on death's door, awaiting her final judgement. But having been proven worthy, the now former goddess passed her title proudly to her predecessor.

Her first days were not that eventful. She displayed a languid expression as her eyes gazed upon her forsaken land, ravaged by the very people who lived within it. 
Moved by her own emotions and her ties with her loved ones, she vowed to show them the world they longed for.

With this in mind, she began changing the world little by little. One the first day of her attempt, she started with a small bed of flowers, gently caressing the ground, invoking the words of a goddess. Then grew a bountiful foliage of color that stood out in the dark, but within a few seconds the flowers wilted, dying in seconds. 

She grew more distant the moment the darkness consumed her first creations. The corruption that moved the people to destroy their own world run rampant across the land, destroying nature itself, the forests grew barren, and no trace of green remained safe.

However, her promise reminded her of why she took up this task. The promise did not bind her, rather it made her resolve all the more, stronger than ever.

Then many more days passed, failure after failure. Wilted plants decorated the hills and forests in great numbers. 

She rested for days on end, trying to think of a way to restore the land, delving as deep as she can into her own mind. 

Then came the day that she remembered the story of her loved ones. 

"Have you heard of the story about the garden of Eden?"

"No, what is it about?"

"It tells of a garden so beautiful, that nothing can ever rival its beauty. It offers peace and tranquility to those who manage to find it. I want to go there with you and mother, maybe she'll finally get better."

Her thoughts trail off from there. She knows what to do now. The very thing they all longed for, but never found. A faint whisper escapes her mouth as she gazes off into the horizon, a tear falls from her eye.

"I'm sorry, but I couldn't find Eden. Instead, I will create one for you."

Using all of her prowess that entails a goddess, Tiella manifests her dreams into reality, forging the land, defying the darkness with her will.  

Finally, on the fated day, she finishes the garden. But... She is all alone. The forest engulfed the land, showing off its magnificence to the heavens.  
Yet, the grandiose that is here creation is admired alone, by her and no one else. But she is content nevertheless.
Better yourself through the constant pursuit of improvement, and leave behind those who wallow in content with the present as you strive for more than what you have, but not less than what you deserve.
@Series of Rebirths

I was looking for more of a description of the actual image in terms of its content and ambience, along with a small story to go with the setting, but I think you did a good job of writing your small history as you interpreted the prompt. Very interesting and evocative, with just enough detail to make the reader fill in the rest.
(10-10-16, 05:45 AM)unice5656 Wrote: @Series of Rebirths

I was looking for more of a description of the actual image in terms of its content and ambience, along with a small story to go with the setting, but I think you did a good job of writing your small history as you interpreted the prompt. Very interesting and evocative, with just enough detail to make the reader fill in the rest.

Thank you! 

Honestly, I was quite worried that I made a big mistake (I did though) but it turned out well. 

Looking forward for the next night school :)
Better yourself through the constant pursuit of improvement, and leave behind those who wallow in content with the present as you strive for more than what you have, but not less than what you deserve.
Well, here's my attempt for this lesson.

I had got out of school and proceeded to go to my bus stop. I was from a small, seaside town, of which I was the only person from in my entire school. And since it had its own buses, I usually got separated from my classmates quickly, so I was now alone.

I left the city lights and was now walking down a small road, with a forest to the side. It was still a mile or so walk, so I could note my surroundings. The crispy, brown leaves that coated the ground like dirt, the darkness at this hour and the silence for my path told me that it was autumn. The holiday spirit of racing to the beach, with green grasses and leaves were over now...

Thinking about this I slightly slumped...

-

Whilst walking down this path, I noticed a suspicious glow, somehow coming from inside the trees. Curiosity got the better of me as I sneaked to get a peek of what it was. There was usually nothing more than leaves, small critters and the occasional person walking their dog, so this was pretty peculiar.

I went straight through the treeline, noting where my way back just in case. The scene I saw was awe-inspiring, almost making me forget to breathe...

There was a girl, well, she seemed like more than just a 'girl'. Two large, sparkling wings protruded from her back, which were mainly transparent with only the outlines being coloured, reminding me of a butterflies. She wore a gold-tinted dress, a long blonde hairstyle, and the mysterious golden light shone down on her, all of which matched the colour of her hair and wings. Every surface was coated in the brown leaves, which emphasized the girls looks perfectly, truly making her out to be some elegant, mythical being instead of a mere human girl...

-

I watched her for a while, and she seemed to be doing some prance or dance regardless of me being there. I noticed a clay pot in the center of her movements, could this be a ceremony or something?

Eventually, it seemed like she was done, now looking up towards the light as the light sparkled off her in a mesmerizing display. A series of birds suddenly appeared, swooning around her as she kept up that pose. The birds were unusual too, some golden breed I've never seen before. This image burned it's self into my eyes, as I froze in a trance at it.

-

As I finally blinked, and by the time I opened my eyes, the scene from before was over. The glow left and I became lost in the now pitch-black forest. I tried to take my phone out of my pocket to call for help.

No signal...
Member of WriTE. The most apathetic member...
@OldBegginings:

I'd say you sketched out the scene in the picture roughly, but not with all the details.

When I restricted the exercise from using the word "fairy", the point was to force you to use detailed description rather than a simple word that in itself evokes a detailed image. You skirted the restriction by substituted the word "angel", which rather creates a completely different mental image, that of bird wings.

The set-up and conclusion were suitable to situate the scene within the real world.

Learn the difference between "peek" and "peak". If you already know, watch your spelling.
Yeah, I'm sorry. For some reason I missed that part and though it was an angel and not a fairy...

Also, for the difference between 'peek' and 'peak', I just misspelt it.

Thanks for your criticism, I hope it's better now.
Member of WriTE. The most apathetic member...
I don't think this was the intended image prompt, but it might be funny to try anyway:

[Image: 2bmj7JP_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium]

And I feel like I should instead try to mention fairies/faeries.

Any updated link on what I'm supposed to be looking at?