RE: Need tips for grammar fixing

'Nai Yang Yang' pid='826428' dateline='1500915149' Wrote: beside finding an editor and learning, is there any other way to fix grammar? example :Software or online help

thank you

You can use Grammarly. or you can try this one:

http://www.grammarcheck.net/editor/

Just don't completely rely on it since it is not perfect. Treat it as an instant second opinion.

[th_096_K.gif]
Check my fictions
"Invincible"
"Gamer of the Dead"
And the newest  "Slam No Basuke"

Re: Need tips for grammar fixing

Be careful about grammar crits, they fall into a number o categories:

1) Mechanical 

The simple stuff.  Passive voice, inconsistent comma use, ending sentences with a preposition, etc... Switching between tense or point of view.  Switching between past and present.  

This is the stuff you work at constantly.  Everybody can get better at it, and it is the thing that you hire an editor to fix.

2) Prescriptive versus Descriptive Grammar

A bit more tricky.  Someone who believes in Prescriptive grammar wants the rules of the English (or any) language set in stone.  Absolutely no deviation from what is found in dictionaries, usage manuals, and styles guides is permitted.   Someone (such as myself) who believes in Descriptive Grammar believes that the language changes as people speak it, that all language rules are and should be broken as long as there is a good reason to do so, and as long as the breaking is done consistently.

Take the sentences "Wat up my peeps?  Those dawgs are about ta bust a cap in your ass."  These are perfectly acceptible to descriptive grammar but completely ungrammatical to prescriptive grammar.

3) Royal Road

Sometimes you will get readers who just don't get your story.  They can't admit that they are having a problem with it (especially if it is popular and a lot of other readers love it) so the easiest fall back for them is "Your grammar is flawed"

My advice, when reading a crit and someone brings up the "Ungrammatical" try to fit it into the categories above.   Ask yourself a few things.  Is the writer providing concrete examples of mistakes and corrections?  Does the writer have better grammar and more technical skills than you do?  How experienced are you with the language you are writing in.  How much do you care?

In the end, for the most part, Royal road is a place where amateurs can hang out and share their work with other amateurs hoping for encouragement and advice.  Most people understand this.  As long as you aren't completely unintelligible you should be able to find some readers.  Don't let the crazy ones get you down.