Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

How short is a short story?

Or rather, what's the limit before a story can no longer be considered a short story?
I mean, per google:
Quote:Short Story (1,000 - 7,500 words): The 'regular' short story, usually found in periodicals or anthology collections. Most 'genre' zines will features works at this length. Novellette (7,500 - 20,000 words): Often a novellette-length work is difficult to sell to a publisher.
Quote:...short story length is usually between 1,000 and 5,000 words...
Quote:...Short stories range anywhere from 1,500 to 30,000 words...
So there's some debate. Really I think it depends on if you intend to publish, and if so what format you intend to publish in - a short story for a magazine should probably be shorter than a short story in a short story collection... If its for a contest there will be hard and fast rules... And ofc writing online is a different bag of worms entirely...

But I mean basically there are no hard and fast rules - just industry standards you might be expected to conform to. Probably once you push past 20k~ or so most people won't call what you have a short story though.
Read my story if you want it's called Once More
It does depend on your format. For paper, see above, I think he nails it.
But things look different for web novels. There's no real standards so everything below are just mere thoughts as a reader.

Web novels don't have the concept of separate pages.
A one link (chapter) story of 10,000 words is very long. Above, you can hardly says that it's a short story. Given that the lack of physical pages forces you to read everything at once, 10k is the limit.
If divided in chapters, then you can reach more.

But then again, some web novels tends to be very long, especially fast release web novels.
Some don't even have then concept of volumes. Reaching 500 chapters is not far fetched for top web novels.
Compare Web Novels and Novels as you compare TV series and Movies.
50,000-100,000 would then be the limit of a short, fast release, web novel.
But like TV series, the whole point is to follow them daily, so once compiled and edited things get different.

So yeah, I feel I can call web novels short up to 10,000 or 100,000 words depending on the chapters (chapter length and release).
Chapters are not short stories.
(23-11-17, 02:35 AM)Tanaka Tomoyuki Wrote: Chapters are not short stories.

Please explain. What makes you feel I said that?
(22-11-17, 08:08 PM)ZhangY Wrote: A one link (chapter) story of 10,000 words is very long. Above, you can hardly says that it's a short story. Given that the lack of physical pages forces you to read everything at once, 10k is the limit.
If divided in chapters, then you can reach more.

Some don't even have then concept of volumes. Reaching 500 chapters is not far fetched for top web novels.
Compare Web Novels and Novels as you compare TV series and Movies.
50,000-100,000 would then be the limit of a short, fast release, web novel.
But like TV series, the whole point is to follow them daily, so once compiled and edited things get different.

So yeah, I feel I can call web novels short up to 10,000 or 100,000 words depending on the chapters (chapter length and release).

I don't think short stories are ever divided into chapters (they are too short) and obviously novels with that many chapters aren't short stories.

A one link (chapter) story of 10,000 words is very long. Above, you can hardly says that it's a short story.
The moment it's a chapter and part of a longer novel, the whole thing is no longer a short story.
Now I see.

First, there's a bad phrasing on my part. 'Chapter' was just another word for 'post'. As a post/link, or whatever you call it, is designated as 'chapter' on web novels websites, so I went along with it. Just read 1 chapter/link story as 1 post story. I should have used that word to begin with.

Second, there's the where I disagree with you. A short story can be divided in chapters -- or posts here -- as it can be divided in section. For me there's no problem. Especially when chapters are assimilated with posts and allow the reader to take a break when reading. (Again, webstories have no physical page where the reader rests)
You make sense, what I said is certainly not absolute truth, but I still disagree with you.

Finally, there's where you have a point, about 'part of a longer novel'. I have confused 'short novel' and 'short series'. The 100,000 limit would be for 'short series' as it will be nonsensical for a 'short story'.

So I still feel short stories on a web novel format can be a litter longer than printed short stories. Of course, there the condition that their post is not longer that 10k words. If they reach 100k words with fast releases, it may as well be call 'short series'.