Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

A different fundamental approach to the rating system

(17-11-17, 12:14 PM)Necamijat Wrote: The problem here is that you're trying to solve the community with the system, rather than improving the community itself.
But this is a multi-k anonymous community. How do you improve something like that?
You can't say a rating is "right" or "wrong" as it's subjective and therefore each 0.5 drive-by-rating can be justified with "I didn't like it". And besides that you are open to everyone, people don't lose anything even if they are punished and the anonymous character of the community makes finding and discussing stuff near impossible.
I mean, It's hard to improve small groups with well-known names and clear rules, but how do you improve something like RRL Oo

I think - no matter what one thinks about the status of the community itself - it's always better to prepare a system that limits the bad apples instead of hoping for only good ones...
Mountain Shelter - A story about people building a medieval town without modern knowledge or OP-Cheats.
Which is why we have a weighted system that has the outlying scores count less than ones that are repeated more often.
(17-11-17, 04:16 PM)Necamijat Wrote: Which is why we have a weighted system that has the outlying scores count less than ones that are repeated more often.

That's not going to solve inflation.

(17-11-17, 01:35 PM)LostLibrarian Wrote: [quote='Necamijat' pid='830027' dateline='1510913678']

I think - no matter what one thinks about the status of the community itself - it's always better to prepare a system that limits the bad apples instead of hoping for only good ones...

I agree with this. You can't punish people, but you can give them incentives to do "good"

And again, giving people a reason to sign up and get involved will benefit everyone.
(17-11-17, 04:57 PM)13900IPForThis Wrote:
(17-11-17, 04:16 PM)Necamijat Wrote: Which is why we have a weighted system that has the outlying scores count less than ones that are repeated more often.

Not the fault of the system, but how it is used.
kanadaj Wrote:The problem is not with the rating system; any sufficiently advanced rating system is only as good as the users using it.
(17-11-17, 06:07 PM)Necamijat Wrote:
(17-11-17, 04:57 PM)13900IPForThis Wrote:

Not the fault of the system, but how it is used.
kanadaj Wrote:The problem is not with the rating system; any sufficiently advanced rating system is only as good as the users using it.

Which is why we should encourage users to be good
Cur is working on a gamification system. But have no illusions, this won't change the basis of how people rate things; you will keep seeing the 5 star spam even after. In fact, I'd be willing to bet good money that if I sorted users by activity and removed users with less than 10 ratings, I'd end up with the same list as if I sorted the users by the average of their ratings.
(17-11-17, 07:42 PM)kanadaj Wrote: Cur is working on a gamification system. But have no illusions, this won't change the basis of how people rate things; you will keep seeing the 5 star spam even after. In fact, I'd be willing to bet good money that if I sorted users by activity and removed users with less than 10 ratings, I'd end up with the same list as if I sorted the users by the average of their ratings.

What about 250+ word reviews, not just ratings?
(17-11-17, 08:11 PM)13900IPForThis Wrote:
(17-11-17, 07:42 PM)kanadaj Wrote: Cur is working on a gamification system. But have no illusions, this won't change the basis of how people rate things; you will keep seeing the 5 star spam even after. In fact, I'd be willing to bet good money that if I sorted users by activity and removed users with less than 10 ratings, I'd end up with the same list as if I sorted the users by the average of their ratings.

What about 250+ word reviews, not just ratings?

We already give those extra weight :3