Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

A different fundamental approach to the rating system

Yes, but what would happen if you gave even extra weight to users who regularly do those reviews? Will the statement bellow still be true, if the same was applied to reviews with 250+ words?

(17-11-17, 07:42 PM)kanadaj Wrote:  In fact, I'd be willing to bet good money that if I sorted users by activity and removed users with less than 10 ratings, I'd end up with the same list as if I sorted the users by the average of their ratings.
(17-11-17, 08:56 PM)13900IPForThis Wrote: Yes, but what would happen if you gave even extra weight to users who regularly do those reviews? Will the statement bellow still be true, if the same was applied to reviews with 250+ words?

(17-11-17, 07:42 PM)kanadaj Wrote:  In fact, I'd be willing to bet good money that if I sorted users by activity and removed users with less than 10 ratings, I'd end up with the same list as if I sorted the users by the average of their ratings.

If we did that, what we'd see is an increase of spam reviews, so their review would be weighed properly.
You might think we haven't been through this but we've spend days, if not weeks discussing possible solutions for this. All the possibilities have been covered and deemed easily bypassed or spam inducing. We don't have a team able to monitor the reviews 24/7 and making people spam more would make us literally unable to do anything else.
(17-11-17, 07:42 PM)kanadaj Wrote: Cur is working on a gamification system.

Woot! It's nice that this is under development. Gamification is a great way to engage readers and reviewers.

Quote: But have no illusions, this won't change the basis of how people rate things; you will keep seeing the 5 star spam even after. In fact, I'd be willing to bet good money that if I sorted users by activity and removed users with less than 10 ratings, I'd end up with the same list as if I sorted the users by the average of their ratings.

It might help to point out that this is an issue for any sort of feedback system. Movies, video games, restaurants - they call struggle with the warping effect that happens when the majority of consumers think 'I liked this so it's 5 star.'
Now it's day and night and the irons clang and like poor galley slaves
We toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves

Nighthunter - My Nanowrimo LitRPG