I mulled so long over this. Searched among my bookmarks for so long. Dug around this sub-forum to maybe see if someone else also searched for this story but alas....

Now I am not 100% sure of my memory, for example I am somewhat convinced that MC was female and that story somewhat involves some kind of reincarnation and it is possible that world setting has some kind of qi manipulation(either that or magic strengthening with magic world-setting). 

With the general stuff out of the way I can tell you about the chapter that should identify the novel easily, especially because of the emotional impact the event in chapter has on the reader and the main character/s(and the reason why I remembered it after all). 

I can distinctly remember that MC was returning from somewhere to her/his home to find most of it devastated, going through her/his family compound and finding family members and guards/family friends either incapacitated or outright dead. I can distinctly remember that author basically implied that one of the sisters of the MCs was brutally raped or tortured. Also I remember that one or multiple members of the MCs family ended up strewn or hanged from a tree. Another thing I remember is that one of the family guards/friends is mentioned to be bleeding out and dying, but by almost miraculous intervention is saved in the end and told to hastily split off either to escape or find help and survivors.

That is the extent of things I remember and for the life of me, I just can't recall anything else about the novel. Any and all help is deeply appreciated.