A Goblin's Blade: Dropped/Vote Manipulation

From the author.

Quote: I also created accounts to add reviews to my fiction early on, since I felt that would grab more people in to at least give the fiction a go. I got called out by the mods for that yesterday so I thought that was basically the last hammer on the nail which made all the other points in my mind click together and make me want to drop the novel. My point: Don't cheat kids and I'll be banned from this account for a short while. As for was it worth it? Not really, I only realised later on( as this is my novel that has gone on for the longest) that most readers don't read a story unless they see many chapters, a regular schedule, and many pages as it shows a dedicated author who is less likely to drop that shit like I am.

Hopefully, the fake accounts will be deleted (right now, about three reviewers all joined around the same time, have only reviewed his work, and have only 0 or 1 follows or favorites), but it does make me worry about how prevalent this practice is.

He can say it wasn't worth it (after the mods caught him and said he's getting banned) but he's been enjoying the attention of sitting in the Trending Fiction section for awhile. And yeah, getting a bunch of 5 star advanced reviews probably helps with that.

Oh, and look how apologetic he is over gaming the system:
Quote:Oh don't worry babes. I am getting banned, it brings tears to my eyes. Cool
Total Words: 596,800; Highest Ranking: #260; Unique Followers: 6,084

RE: A Goblin's Blade: Dropped/Vote Manipulation

We have recently updated our technology that allows us to find situations like this.
As for how prevalent it is, people will always try to go below the radar. How well it works out, well, you can tell.
These matters are resolved internally within the staff and communicated to the offender, the results of which could be visible on the main site shortly afterwards.

'SJ Reaver' pid='829752' dateline='1510487984' Wrote:
'Necamijat' pid='829750' dateline='1510486692' Wrote: We have recently updated our technology that allows us to find situations like this.

That makes me feel better.

Should be announced? As a deterrent? Simply banning without telling everybody why doesn't really have that wide an effect.
Full Member, SFWA.
Full Member, Authors Guild.
A Goodreads Author.
Independent Writer.

'soloflyte' pid='829826' dateline='1510582878' Wrote: Should be announced? As a deterrent? Simply banning without telling everybody why doesn't really have that wide an effect.

Should we announce the people who are caught, you mean?
Definitely not.
Matters are resolved internally and offenders are issued disciplinary actions. These usually have a visible effect on the fictions in question shortly after the fact anyway.

Wow... this is just... It's like sending a love letter to yourself.

I'm reading the comments on his fiction page and I couldn't help wondering if he is sending the comments to himself saying "It is good that you manned up. I am proud of you!"

I'm glad a form of security is now in place to check for things like this. But I honestly hope that the admin doesn't find anyone else. This is just too depressing.
Check my fictions
"Invincible"
"Gamer of the Dead"
And the newest  "Slam No Basuke"

'Tanaka Tomoyuki' pid='829848' dateline='1510598092' Wrote: I was just agreeing with your stand that people should not be named and shamed.

I meant the work. As mentioned, it is still on the list. Doubt if most readers check the forums. Well, he can write again on RRL with a new pseudonym. And lesson learned, we hope.
Full Member, SFWA.
A Goodreads Author.
Independent Writer.

+ 1000

A lot of authors here can relate to that, me included.

That said, 0.5 star ratings really don't count. We've got ninja reviewers, drive-by ones, and simple rants. At times, the spelling and grammar of the written reviews border on the atrocious. Inane, in some instances. Shows you the kind of people writing it.

I don't believe any work deserves that ridiculous rating unless the author intentionally wrote it just to get the half star. Then again, it's easy to throw rotten tomatoes behind the shield of anonymity.

But what's a fantasy world without a few trolls, imps, and ogres?

P.S. Regarding the banned writer, I doubt if he will be writing under his old pseudonym. Though the attitude, as mentioned by the OP, does call attention.
Full Member, SFWA.
A Goodreads Author.
Independent Writer.