Writing Podcasts

Lurker here coming out from the shadows with a bit of a query. My curiosity has won over my good sense.

My writing friends suggested that, in order to learn/improve my writing, I should listen to some writing podcasts. In particular, I have focused on listening to "Writing Excuses" (http://www.writingexcuses.com/), but there are several others out there I've been told to try. If anyone has any other writing podcasts, feel free to list your favorites here, too!

I'm about 4 seasons in now, after about month - and it's been great! I highly recommend it to anyone who is serious about writing - in just a month is has taught me a lot about how to tell a story and improve my own strengths and work on my weaknesses. (Plus listening to professionals struggle with the same things as I do is so very heart warming.)

Recently, however, I realized that it's affecting my writing - and not in a good way. I had to stop listening to it, because I got distracted at all the overload of information and, I guess, the weight of what it means to try to be a writer, professional or no. It got to a point where I couldn't write anything because my OCD went IT MUST BE PERFECTION! which... to be honest... is not at all what I am trying to write right now. It was fixed after about a week and some MyNoise brain manipulation, but I'm afraid to start listening to them again that it might affect me again.

While the wise words of anyone in a similar position would be to wack me upside the head with the saying 'everything in moderation', has anyone run into this before? And is there any other advice to help the balance of writing and learning to improve the craft when you really just need to get ink on the page?

RE: Writing Podcasts

Never listened to any podcasts, but I think I'm in that situation where I just hate everything I put on paper (very uninspiring :(

Somewhere I've been told to just write and DO NOT look back on it until you're absolutely done (easier said than done, haha, I know).
Creative side of the brain should take priority over the logic side when it comes to creative writing! That's about all I can say.

RE: Writing Podcasts

Oh no! I hope that you managed to get out of that rut! It really does take a toll on morale.

It's true - it is really good advice to just keep on writing, and it is easier said than done, especially if you have constant interruptions. I'm usually writing in a very public work office and every time someone asks me a question, I forget what I just wrote >.<. Not the best condition to be writing in, but gotta do what you gotta do.

It's interesting that you should say that about creative brain vs. logic brain - and it's a good point. I do tend to be hyper logical about a lot of things, and sometimes I really do get hung up on the, '...Does this stuff makes sense?' rubbish in my head when I really should leave it for editing later. Simply throwing up words is something I really struggle to do - and maybe that is why listening to the educational stuff gets stuff further stuck in my head. @.@

I do recommend trying some of the podcasts out, though, if you haven't. Especially Writing Excuses, which has an awesome panel that includes Brandon Sanderson, who just released a new book. I hear the Story Grid podcast is also quite excellent, largely working with editing advice, though I haven't been able to listen to it yet. :)