Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

Overhaul for the surprise

Hello there,

I'm one of those people who try to read different stuff from time to time mostly to change my viewpoint or fuel my imagination. Therefore I tried to use the "Surprise me!"-Feature of this site and yeah... it sucks Very Happy
It gave me ~30 long dropped novels with no reason to start them. 1 chapter novels, last updated 16 months ago, last updated 4 months ago, etc. Clicking half an hour through the novels with no realistic read (interests not even included) makes the feature quite useless.

Would it be possible to change the feature so that it only shows completed or active (X updates in the last weeks) novels?

Best regards,
Lost
If you want complete or active novels, you can click on the Active Ranking Only or Complete tabs under the Read tab. You already have options for those.
wonders if an 'Active' random button could be added >_>
it kinda defeats the purpose of the button in the first place if you want to add filters to it. 

Yeah, I want to be "surprised" but I don't want this one and this one and this and this one. In fact, I only like yaoi erotica!
Check my fictions
"Invincible"
"Gamer of the Dead"
And the newest  "Slam No Basuke"
(16-11-17, 06:48 AM)batotit Wrote: it kinda defeats the purpose of the button in the first place if you want to add filters to it. 
I would disagree with this. I don't ask to add filters for genre or tags but I ask for the basic requirement of "readable".
People want to be surprised with something they can read. I personally don't think this includes a 1-chapter 500 words start from 14 months ago which most likely is dropped.

I would expect most readers to look for a story with a chance for an ending. Meaning either an active story or a completed one. I don't know the numbers overall but looking at some of my results it doesn't seem like people want to read a 2-chapter dropped novel.

@Tomoyuki: Sure that's possible but the whole thing of the "surprise me" is to not scroll through stuff and think about anything but get something thrown at you. Sure one could close his eyes and click wildly but for me (and that may be just based on my preferences) showing "unreadable novels" (activity, not quality) kinda defeats the purpose of the button.
Mountain Shelter - A story about people building a medieval town without modern knowledge or OP-Cheats.
I'd like to see an advanced random search as well. Randomly picking from all currently active LitRPGs with non-human protags, for example.
Now it's day and night and the irons clang and like poor galley slaves
We toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves

Nighthunter - My Nanowrimo LitRPG
Yes to readable only random novels.
I'm not using the current button. It sucks.

There must be no user input. YES of course, or else this is not a surprise.
That does not mean there must be no filters or pre-filtered list and that the button should just generate a random number.

Filters:
-active only
-completed
-(registred user only) not in read history (can be accessed in your profile by the way).

Pre-filtered:
-favorited by a well known user
-selected by a mod

If you're really worried this is not random enough, then let Math to their magic. Add formulas.
Generate 0<x<1
If x<0.5 Use filters
If 0.5<x<0.9 Use Pre-filtered list
Else Use Random number generator

Then MAYBE the Surprise Me button no longer sucks.
Kind of defeats the purpose of a surprise if the search only shows up stories that are favorited by a well known user or selected by moderators.