Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

I'd like separate word totals for stories

Information 
I know I'm in a severe minority here, but I really would like to know how many words I have in each story; and not just the total words for all the stories I have on here. As I write more and more, the 'general' number it gives me becomes more outrageous.

At the moment it says '1.7M'. So, as far as I know, I have anywhere from 1.7 million to 1.8 million words written, and I'd really like to know what the actual number is.

The totals don't have to be a part of the profile, either. It could be a separate page/tab/link.

My fan-fiction is approaching 6,000 pages (it's at 5,843 - the most on this site for a single story - and I update it daily with 3,000+ words), and knowing how many words it is would be much appreciated.

I'm continuing Master of All, Jack of None (16 chapters) as a fan-fiction. Chapter 17 and up are here: Mythran's Master of All - Continued.
I've posted a new fan-fiction of my fan-fiction, a short story with a different take on the MC and his misadventures: Master of Everything.
I have a new original fiction (scifi with VR) on the go here: L.I.F.E. Begins.
It's [number of pages] x 275, isn't it?
Now it's day and night and the irons clang and like poor galley slaves
We toil and toil, and when we die, must fill dishonored graves

Nighthunter - My Nanowrimo LitRPG
(17-11-17, 11:35 AM)SJ Reaver Wrote: It's [number of pages] x 275, isn't it?

That is a rough estimation, yes. But the counting script is currently being updated to make it more precise, as we've found it has issues with the way we store chapters.
(17-11-17, 12:14 PM)Necamijat Wrote: That is a rough estimation, yes. But the counting script is currently being updated to make it more precise, as we've found it has issues with the way we store chapters.

Thanks! It's good to know it's at least being looked at. Whether or not I get what I want for Christmas is another story, though. :)

I'm continuing Master of All, Jack of None (16 chapters) as a fan-fiction. Chapter 17 and up are here: Mythran's Master of All - Continued.
I've posted a new fan-fiction of my fan-fiction, a short story with a different take on the MC and his misadventures: Master of Everything.
(18-11-17, 08:20 AM)Bokuboy Wrote:
(17-11-17, 12:14 PM)Necamijat Wrote: That is a rough estimation, yes. But the counting script is currently being updated to make it more precise, as we've found it has issues with the way we store chapters.

Thanks! It's good to know it's at least being looked at. Whether or not I get what I want for Christmas is another story, though. :)

The new script should be up and running and it should give the same or very similar word counts to MS Word of GDocs. It hasn't run retroactively yet so old chapters won't have their word counts updated. We will be looking into pushing the script through our entire database soon.
It's 275 words per page. Not all that hard to calculate~
(22-11-17, 07:16 PM)kanadaj Wrote: It's 275 words per page. Not all that hard to calculate~

What if there's less than 275 words on the page? Does it count it as a full page or ignore it? What if there's only one word on that page, does it count as a full page (as it's on the next page) or is it ignored?

If it's easy to calculate, why do you bundle all the words for every story an author writes into one total and then round it down to thousands and in some cases (i.e. mine) hundreds of thousands? Why aren't there separate totals?

Just wondering.

- Bokuboy

If I'm not mistaken, the page count takes the word total and divide it by 275 to produce the number of pages, rounding up. So you can just find out your count by simply multiplying the pages by 275. It won't be exact since the last page might not have exactly 275, but you'll get close to the word count.