Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

I'd like separate word totals for stories

(23-11-17, 08:19 AM)Bokuboy Wrote:
(22-11-17, 07:16 PM)kanadaj Wrote: It's 275 words per page. Not all that hard to calculate~

What if there's less than 275 words on the page? Does it count it as a full page or ignore it? What if there's only one word on that page, does it count as a full page (as it's on the next page) or is it ignored?

If it's easy to calculate, why do you bundle all the words for every story an author writes into one total and then round it down to thousands and in some cases (i.e. mine) hundreds of thousands? Why aren't there separate totals?

Just wondering.

- Bokuboy

Round down to hundreds of thousands?  No. We first count the total words, then divide by 275. Regardless of which way it is rounded, you get +/- 137 (274 total) words possible deviation. Which seems negligible for a story with hundreds of thousands of words. But it actually rounds down, so you see up to 1 page less than you actually have.

The reason of doing this is simple: most normal users aren't familiar with how long it takes a 150,000 words book to read. Did you count the words in the last book (actual book or Kindle ebook) you've picked up and read? Me neither. But they know the last half of the Harry Potter books are 600-750 pages, The Fellowship of the Ring is around 500 and still a fairly thick book, while a more casual reading is between 250 and 400. And I know the last book I've read was about 300 pages and I finished it in less than a day.
(23-11-17, 08:29 AM)Tanaka Tomoyuki Wrote: If I'm not mistaken, the page count takes the word total and divide it by 275 to produce the number of pages, rounding up. So you can just find out your count by simply multiplying the pages by 275. It won't be exact since the last page might not have exactly 275, but you'll get close to the word count.

It's actually rounded down, but you are correct otherwise.
(23-11-17, 02:30 PM)kanadaj Wrote:
(23-11-17, 08:19 AM)Bokuboy Wrote: If it's easy to calculate, why do you bundle all the words for every story an author writes into one total and then round it down to thousands and in some cases (i.e. mine) hundreds of thousands? Why aren't there separate totals?

Round down to hundreds of thousands?  No. We first count the total words, then divide by 275. Regardless of which way it is rounded, you get +/- 137 (274 total) words possible deviation. Which seems negligible for a story with hundreds of thousands of words. But it actually rounds down, so you see up to 1 page less than you actually have.

The reason of doing this is simple: most normal users aren't familiar with how long it takes a 150,000 words book to read. Did you count the words in the last book (actual book or Kindle ebook) you've picked up and read? Me neither. But they know the last half of the Harry Potter books are 600-750 pages, The Fellowship of the Ring is around 500 and still a fairly thick book, while a more casual reading is between 250 and 400. And I know the last book I've read was about 300 pages and I finished it in less than a day.

Actually, yes; it is rounded down. My word total (for all my stories) says '1.7M'. That's it. It does NOT say 1,734,235 or whatever the heck the actual number is... because I don't know it, and that is the crux of my suggestion. You have the total and convert it for pages, then I have to convert it back to words to see what the total might possibly be (after rounding twice - once by you and once by me).

Is it too much to ask to have the actual number before you make it into pages? For each story? Please? (this is assuming your word counter gets through the rest of the databases to count everything properly)

- Bokuboy

P.S. The last book I read was 576 pages, and it took me about 12 hours to read it all, with bathroom and food breaks.

I'm continuing Master of All, Jack of None (16 chapters) as a fan-fiction. Chapter 17 and up are here: Mythran's Master of All - Continued.
I've posted a new fan-fiction of my fan-fiction, a short story with a different take on the MC and his misadventures: Master of Everything.
I have a new original fiction (scifi with VR) on the go here: L.I.F.E. Begins.
... You are talking about the user profile. You completely forgot to mention this point. Do you realise how many different places we have for displaying the fiction length? -.-

Also, the profile doesn't convert to pages; it rounds down to the nearest thousand or tenth of a million after taking the total.

Also, given that you know how many pages your story has (with is both visible on the fiction page and your profile), you have between 1,606,825 and 1,607,099 words - do mind that at that number, the word count itself is going to be rather inaccurate, with a possible deviation of I think 1-5% upwards from the real number. In your case that means you may have 1500-7500 words less than what the system thinks due to the metadata in the chapters that come with the formatting. This has been corrected recently, but the change hasn't been applied retroactively.