Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

Poll: What do you want?
Good old RRL
Novelupdates recommendation lists
Pizza!
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Recommendation: Make it happen

(22-11-17, 09:19 AM)Tanaka Tomoyuki Wrote: Um, while that might be a nice idea, the logistics will be a nightmare. Who gets to decide which novel should be added to the recommended list of a specific novel? The readers? The author himself (who might not have read much)? What about the lesser-known stories that nobody reads? Even if they are similar, they will get left out and it becomes this vicious cycle of the popular novels recommending other popular stories.

Logistics? I have no idea at all. But why are you concerned about that? NovelUpdates must have a way. I'm not their admin, i'm not their mod, I'm not even a registred user. I just go there I see that each and every novel I click on gives recommendations. I can even get obscure doubtful recommendations from slightly obscure doubtful novels (NovelUpdates doesn't discriminate based on the contents of the novels).

Don't just speak of logistic nightmare. Sure, this will be nightmarish if you're going to learn server permissions, MySQL, and Javascipt or whatever before telling if this can be done.
BUT IT HAS BEEN DONE. This is now working. This can therefore be done on RRL.

My point? It just need the admins to agree and the devs will do it. Users, be it you or me, just have to say if they want it.
(22-11-17, 09:37 AM)ZhangY Wrote:
(22-11-17, 09:19 AM)Tanaka Tomoyuki Wrote: Um, while that might be a nice idea, the logistics will be a nightmare. Who gets to decide which novel should be added to the recommended list of a specific novel? The readers? The author himself (who might not have read much)? What about the lesser-known stories that nobody reads? Even if they are similar, they will get left out and it becomes this vicious cycle of the popular novels recommending other popular stories.

Logistics? I have no idea at all. But why are you concerned about that? NovelUpdates must have a way. I'm not their admin, i'm not their mod, I'm not even a registred user. I just go there I see that each and every novel I click on gives recommendations. I can even get obscure doubtful recommendations from slightly obscure doubtful novels (NovelUpdates doesn't discriminate based on the contents of the novels).

Don't just speak of logistic nightmare. Sure, this will be nightmarish if you're going to learn server permissions, MySQL, and Javascipt or whatever before telling if this can be done.

My point? It just need the admins to agree and the devs will do it. Users, be it you or me, just have to say if they want it.

That's like saying "We want Wattpad's inline commenting" without realising they have received huge amounts of money to hire developers to do that.
My first fiction, a story about a Demon, a Princess, and how they tried to live happily ever after: The Demon and the Princess

Looking for stat screens and apocalypse? A New Leaf explores the (mis)adventures of Treant as he fights tooth and bark for his life, with a bit of comedy in between.
(22-11-17, 09:54 AM)Necamijat Wrote:
(22-11-17, 09:37 AM)ZhangY Wrote:

That's like saying "We want Wattpad's inline commenting" without realising they have received huge amounts of money to hire developers to do that.

No, I'm aware of the money issue.
It's just that I'm surprised to be told how this cannot work when it's actually working on NovelUpdates.
Tanaka asked the technical 'How', I just said it was irrelevant because we are not starting from scratch (unlike NU probably did).
Then, if you're telling me that you have considered the cost of that feature then rejected it due to a lack of allocated funds. I can totally understand.
There's a budget, there's people making decisions, and there's people doing the actual work. Don't tell me the latter can't do it because I'm seeing it on NovelUpdates. As for the former, well, I don't know.
Logistics include budgets. I was just giving an example.
(22-11-17, 10:23 AM)Tanaka Tomoyuki Wrote: Logistics include budgets. I was just giving an example.

You're exactly right.

And that's not something I have a hand on. I can just say that I want that feature.
How much I or others want it will affect the budget RRL is willing to use.

For once I don't have to explain the How/Why/etc. of the feature because it already exists elsewhere.
So I'm focusing on what I can do... which is just asking if others want it and maybe reaching someone that does have a hand on budget :/

Sigh... so much for the original 'let's do it guys'. Speaking about budget just insta-kill all possible ideas...
The reason this isn't implemented isn't due to the budget; while we are constrained with that, 2 of the 3 admins (me and curvinho) are software developers.

The reason this isn't implemented is because - sadly - unlike Novel Updates, we have a serious case of being boxed into a niche (or 3). I can basically tell you now that if we added it, you'd find Arcane Emperor recommended as #1 on almost every story on the site... Not very helpful, is it?

When coming up with an idea like this, the hardest part for us is usually deciding how to make it work with our limitations, be it money, the lack of 20 developers on call, or the community itself. But I'm always open for suggestions, especially if they help me figure out the hard part of "how do I make this work".

The system works for Novel Updates because they are much more varied in the stories they have.

TL;DR:
Is it hard to implement? Not at all. Would it work for us? Probably not, but I'm listening for ideas on how to make it work.
(22-11-17, 11:39 AM)kanadaj Wrote: The reason this isn't implemented isn't due to the budget; while we are constrained with that, 2 of the 3 admins (me and curvinho) are software developers.

The reason this isn't implemented is because - sadly - unlike Novel Updates, we have a serious case of being boxed into a niche (or 3). I can basically tell you now that if we added it, you'd find Arcane Emperor recommended as #1 on almost every story on the site... Not very helpful, is it?

When coming up with an idea like this, the hardest part for us is usually deciding how to make it work with our limitations, be it money, the lack of 20 developers on call, or the community itself. But I'm always open for suggestions, especially if they help me figure out the hard part of "how do I make this work".

The system works for Novel Updates because they are much more varied in the stories they have.

TL;DR:
Is it hard to implement? Not at all. Would it work for us? Probably not, but I'm listening for ideas on how to make it work.

Hmm... I'm going to need some time to think about this. It will surely help to know people familiar to RRL recommendations and some with NU recommendations to see exactly what may cause Arcane Emperor to pop everywhere and what may prevent it.

Also, that may sound incredibly stupid -- and not related to recommendations at all -- but have you thought about just encouraging authors to write something different from RRL Fantasy (speaking of that niche)? I mean anything can do, tutorial about detective stories, contest to change RRL background into a limited modern setting, ... anything may spark ideas in the community. Maybe just saying that posting a non-fantasy fiction on RRL is appropriate may do (I asked it to myself at some point because if I write it will certainly not be fantasy or sci-fi).
You're approaching it from only one point.
One side is RRL not having enough authors that write that niche. The bigger one is that the reader base doesn't accommodate those niches, that is to say, something that isn't common on RRL is most likely not going to be popular purely because most of the readers simply aren't interested in those genres.
My first fiction, a story about a Demon, a Princess, and how they tried to live happily ever after: The Demon and the Princess

Looking for stat screens and apocalypse? A New Leaf explores the (mis)adventures of Treant as he fights tooth and bark for his life, with a bit of comedy in between.