Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

Poll: What do you want?
Good old RRL
Novelupdates recommendation lists
Pizza!
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.

Recommendation: Make it happen

(22-11-17, 12:11 PM)ZhangY Wrote: Hmm... I'm going to need some time to think about this. It will surely help to know people familiar to RRL recommendations and some with NU recommendations to see exactly what may cause Arcane Emperor to pop everywhere and what may prevent it.

It's logical, if you think about it; most works share some elements of Arcane Emperor on the site. User recommendations usually boil down to "what story do I know that is similar to this in some way, and I enjoyed it". So they will recommend Arcane Emperor, because it satisfies that condition. Now comes the problem: given how popular Arcane Emperor is, how many recommendations will it get compared to other stories on the site?

(22-11-17, 12:11 PM)ZhangY Wrote: Also, that may sound incredibly stupid -- and not related to recommendations at all -- but have you thought about just encouraging authors to write something different from RRL Fantasy (speaking of that niche)? I mean anything can do, tutorial about detective stories, contest to change RRL background into a limited modern setting, ... anything may spark ideas in the community. Maybe just saying that posting a non-fantasy fiction on RRL is appropriate may do (I asked it to myself at some point because if I write it will certainly not be fantasy or sci-fi).

Yes we did, but that's the kind of thing that is really hard to address. We actually have very limited control over the community's preferences and niches. We can accommodate them, but directing them is virtually impossible. On the other hand, there is a constant change of niches even without us doing anything - just look at how cultivation stories started popping up in the recent months.
(22-11-17, 12:29 PM)Necamijat Wrote: You're approaching it from only one point.
One side is RRL not having enough authors that write that niche. The bigger one is that the reader base doesn't accommodate those niches, that is to say, something that isn't common on RRL is most likely not going to be popular purely because most of the readers simply aren't interested in those genres.

True, I can't get modern fiction fans into RRL registered users. That would take advertising. Something I have no clue about.
But one bridge I can see is fan-fictions. RRL users love fan-fictions so why not non-fantasy fan-fictions?

Then, there's what people like and what people want. On RRL I want and search for LitRPG and fan-fictions. Does that mean I don't like other styles? Not so sure. I'll may take a better than average story to change what I want and search on RRL but that's not impossible. (I mean who didn't get into chinese novel while searching for japanese novels?)

Now I need those stories. (Previous post)

I guess this can work. It's not like you lose anything by promoting non-fantasy stories and fan-fictions. It will take time and more than a few coincidences but you'll end up with something. Well, I only see fanfiction to move the user base and create opportunities but I bet there's more.

(22-11-17, 12:40 PM)kanadaj Wrote: It's logical, if you think about it; most works share some elements of Arcane Emperor on the site. User recommendations usually boil down to "what story do I know that is similar to this in some way, and I enjoyed it". So they will recommend Arcane Emperor, because it satisfies that condition. Now comes the problem: given how popular Arcane Emperor is, how many recommendations will it get compared to other stories on the site?

Yeah, it is sadly logical. That's why I would like to roleplay NU recommendation with commentary and novels from a RLL recommendation forum lurker. I think I would get something from it. I can take all the roles myself but 'time'...

(22-11-17, 12:40 PM)kanadaj Wrote: Yes we did, but that's the kind of thing that is really hard to address. We actually have very limited control over the community's preferences and niches. We can accommodate them, but directing them is virtually impossible. On the other hand, there is a constant change of niches even without us doing anything - just look at how cultivation stories started popping up in the recent months.

I think all it takes is a good novel. So no good novel can pop-up on RRL? Not so sure... It just happen that most good novels are fantasy... Yeah; it's hard to fight against translated novel from website from all around the world for the lead. But it's not impossible and it'll happen. After all, translation brings all kinds of cancer (copyright claims, bad translation, foreign nationalism...).
You could have recommendations like on myanimelist, where you have to write a review-ish post on why you recommend the novel

Or you could have the author pick out some recommendations, such as having 3 recommendations of what the author thinks are good novels like their own, they could even get their readers to help

no idea id these are any better or even useful, just thought these might help a bit with getting the ideas rolling, hopefully
(28-11-17, 04:49 PM)Pricey Wrote: You could have recommendations like on myanimelist, where you have to write a review-ish post on why you recommend the novel

Sorry to be a downer about this, but in a story with 2000 average views/readers or so (using my fic as a metric), you get 459 follows, 74 ratings, 7 simple reviews and 2 complex reviews. You would just end up with one fiction getting an exponentially larger number of reviews as every fiction gets linked to it, exacerbating the problem.
To get percentage reader engagement on a free story. 20-25% follow, 3-4% rate, an act that can be completed by simply clicking a button. 0.3-0.4% leave a simple review, a few words or so, 0.1-0.2% leave a complex review, writing anything from one to multiple paragraphs. 
In essence, for every increase in complexity and button click you get an engagement drop off of 20% each time. 4 recursions of that looks like this. 100% -> 20% -> 4% -> 0.8% -> 0.16% (in actuality it drops on second last, because of massively increased effort, ~10% engage on writing ones)
Some stories have millions of views, that would lead to a massive accumulation of reviews on a few stories, drowning out everything else. Many stories would comparatively only have a single review.
And you should keep in mind that I post frequent large chapters, am lucky to have awesome followers so far and actively find ways to encourage reader engagement while minimizing effort required to engage - making my figures disproportionately large for a 1 month old story.
In some it might look closer to: 100% -> 10% -> 1% -> 0.1% -> 0.01%
Dungeons, betrayal, a summoned hero, and the beginning of a magical revolution. Welcome to Era.
(29-11-17, 08:18 PM)Alexis Keane Wrote:
(28-11-17, 04:49 PM)Pricey Wrote: You could have recommendations like on myanimelist, where you have to write a review-ish post on why you recommend the novel

Sorry to be a downer about this, but in a story with 2000 average views/readers or so (using my fic as a metric), you get 459 follows, 74 ratings, 7 simple reviews and 2 complex reviews. You would just end up with one fiction getting an exponentially larger number of reviews as every fiction gets linked to it, exacerbating the problem.
To get percentage reader engagement on a free story. 20-25% follow, 3-4% rate, an act that can be completed by simply clicking a button. 0.3-0.4% leave a simple review, a few words or so, 0.1-0.2% leave a complex review, writing anything from one to multiple paragraphs. 
In essence, for every increase in complexity and button click you get an engagement drop off of 20% each time. 4 recursions of that looks like this. 100% -> 20% -> 4% -> 0.8% -> 0.16% (in actuality it drops on second last, because of massively increased effort, ~10% engage on writing ones)
Some stories have millions of views, that would lead to a massive accumulation of reviews on a few stories, drowning out everything else. Many stories would comparatively only have a single review.
And you should keep in mind that I post frequent large chapters, am lucky to have awesome followers so far and actively find ways to encourage reader engagement while minimizing effort required to engage - making my figures disproportionately large for a 1 month old story.
In some it might look closer to: 100% -> 10% -> 1% -> 0.1% -> 0.01%

This is exactly the point I was talking about. You can't rely on user feedback to fix a problem caused by bias on the user feedback.

Also, the Trending Fictions list was created exactly to account for this whole issue, since the way it works makes it virtually impossible for bigger fictions to get into it, as in relies on % growth in reviews over 30 days.
(02-12-17, 05:26 PM)kanadaj Wrote: This is exactly the point I was talking about. You can't rely on user feedback to fix a problem caused by bias on the user feedback.

Also, the Trending Fictions list was created exactly to account for this whole issue, since the way it works makes it virtually impossible for bigger fictions to get into it, as in relies on % growth in reviews over 30 days.

Where can I find this "Trending Fictions" list? Is that the "Popular this week"?
Flash Story - A Maiden and a Dragon (now loosely continued)

My twitter account
(09-12-17, 03:05 PM)DieEasy Wrote: Where can I find this "Trending Fictions" list? Is that the "Popular this week"?

You can find the top Trending Fictions on the main page:
https://royalroadl.com/home

But unlike Popular this week, I don't think there is an extended version of 'Trending Fictions' (if that's what you are talking about). Are you suggesting we should have one?
(09-12-17, 03:26 PM)ZhangY Wrote:
(09-12-17, 03:05 PM)DieEasy Wrote: Where can I find this "Trending Fictions" list? Is that the "Popular this week"?

You can find the top Trending Fictions on the main page:
https://royalroadl.com/home

But unlike  Popular this week, I don't think there is an  extended version of 'Trending Fictions' (if that's what you are talking about). Are you suggesting we should have one?

Ah, found it. And to be honest I do not see a reason that there shouldn't be one (not any more or less than for the popular this week having an extended version), though I understand it would take away developer time from more important features.
Flash Story - A Maiden and a Dragon (now loosely continued)

My twitter account