Advertisement

Choose Your Background

• Noah Bradley: A place to call Home

• Noah Bradley: Their Mournful Tones

"The page you are looking for cannot be found" - This needs resolved please

Okay, so this has been happening in every browser I use, regardless of how clean my cache and cookies are. 

Whenever I go to draw any personal lists, such as my own posts/ threads, or whenever I go to post a thread/ post (only when it requires a page refresh) I get sent to an empty page that says;

"The page you are looking for cannot be found"

[Image: 6929ff0f00b270ce0307690206e190e9.png]

I know why it's doing this, I just don't know anything in the background that's causing it to do this.

Basically, it's trying to paste in the site url 'http://forum.royalroadl.com' in front of the current url, creating this fuckin' mess.

[Image: 17e843f48b3a0f8e9dc4a3040fd9b312.png]

I can remove the first url and it will return me to the correct page, but it won't draw the full page of information. I have 5 threads, but it'll only show a single one, I have 25+ posts, yet it only links 8.

It's a constant issue I've been having, and it's making browsing the forum extremely difficult. I reported this issue before on Discord, and I was practically shunned by some moderator, I don't remember who it was, for trying to report an issue that wasn't important.

(I'm scared to post on your Discord, too many people take themselves too seriously there, it feels like one giant inside joke that I'm not a part of.)
Check out my two stories if you've got the time. 
• A shroud of darkness hides the night. The sounds of battle echoes throughout. Steel on steel, clashing in the unknown. A clash of death, uncaring and unjust. A band of mercenaries surround a mysterious figure clad in ragged black robes. Beneath its weathered cowl, two bloodshot eyes pierce the darkness. Finally, they’ve found him.
• Mathias Silver had always been a quiet, well-behaved young man until one morning when he had overheard something about a dead girl, killed by a man who the police had given the name 'Night Hunter'. He decided to investigate, only for things to spiral out of control. join Mathias Silver as he descends further and further down the rabbit hole. 
Forums are a broken mess that the admins are not comfortable trying to repair.

Also, we do have a dedicated bug report channel for this.
My first fiction, a story about a Demon, a Princess, and how they tried to live happily ever after: The Demon and the Princess

Looking for stat screens and apocalypse? A New Leaf explores the (mis)adventures of Treant as he fights tooth and bark for his life, with a bit of comedy in between.
I promise I'll finish the forum rework... Soon. Ish. ._.
(23-11-17, 01:28 PM)Necamijat Wrote: Forums are a broken mess that the admins are not comfortable trying to repair.

I know forums are a broken mess, but I figured that doesn't mean I can't report an issue. :p

I actually did report this exact same issue, and I was told it wasn't important enough and was pretty much ignored. Again, I'm scared of your Discord server because it feels like one giant inside joke that I'm not a part of.

Oh and thanks, @kanadaj, I look forward to the eventual fixes. Tongue

If you ever want to swap to a new forum software, you can pretty easily convert forum data to Discourse, which functions well, it's light-weight and mobile friendly. 

I just want a solution for this, since I prefer forums over Discords when it comes to writing/ stories. Makes things feel more permanent.
• A shroud of darkness hides the night. The sounds of battle echoes throughout. Steel on steel, clashing in the unknown. A clash of death, uncaring and unjust. A band of mercenaries surround a mysterious figure clad in ragged black robes. Beneath its weathered cowl, two bloodshot eyes pierce the darkness. Finally, they’ve found him.
• Mathias Silver had always been a quiet, well-behaved young man until one morning when he had overheard something about a dead girl, killed by a man who the police had given the name 'Night Hunter'. He decided to investigate, only for things to spiral out of control. join Mathias Silver as he descends further and further down the rabbit hole. 
(23-11-17, 01:36 PM)Venior Wrote:
(23-11-17, 01:28 PM)Necamijat Wrote: Forums are a broken mess that the admins are not comfortable trying to repair.

I know forums are a broken mess, but I figured that doesn't mean I can't report an issue. :p

I actually did report this exact same issue, and I was told it wasn't important enough and was pretty much ignored. Again, I'm scared of your Discord server because it feels like one giant inside joke that I'm not a part of.

If you ever want to swap to a new forum software, you can pretty easily convert forum data to Discourse, which functions well, it's light-weight and mobile friendly. 

I just want a solution for this, since I prefer forums over Discords when it comes to writing/ stories. Makes things feel more permanent.

The problem with it being a broken mess is that any issue reported can't be resolved easily (or at all) and the forum rework doesn't run on the same tech this one does so they are not analogous, so reporting them is in 90% of the cases a waste.
And I honestly don't see why you're scared of posting on the official Discord channel. The admins and the moderating staff take bug reports seriously, if anything else.
My first fiction, a story about a Demon, a Princess, and how they tried to live happily ever after: The Demon and the Princess

Looking for stat screens and apocalypse? A New Leaf explores the (mis)adventures of Treant as he fights tooth and bark for his life, with a bit of comedy in between.
(23-11-17, 01:49 PM)Necamijat Wrote:
(23-11-17, 01:36 PM)Venior Wrote:

The problem with it being a broken mess is that any issue reported can't be resolved easily (or at all) and the forum rework doesn't run on the same tech this one does so they are not analogous, so reporting them is in 90% of the cases a waste.
And I honestly don't see why you're scared of posting on the official Discord channel. The admins and the moderating staff take bug reports seriously if anything else.

As I've said twice already, the Discord general chat is almost nothing but inside jokes about stories I've never heard about. The few times I posted anything, simply trying to pop my head in and say hi, I'm literally told by someone out of nowhere to drink cyanide.

[Image: c880671110a56f39676f990ad8b9c7bd.png]

The other times I post I get lost and don't know how to follow along since everyone once again starts talking about inside references that I don't understand.

From the inside, the Discord probably seems amazing, but I'm looking at it from the outside, and it's confusing. A ton of pins, and an even crazier amount of elitists who joke about stories that aren't theres, which is sort of demeaning. (even if they're only joking, once again, I don't know.)

When I did report this exact same issue, it was around the time as one of the issues where some database died or something, and I guess it wasn't considered important enough. I was straight up told by a moderator that the forum was broken and that the issue I was having wasn't important enough to report in the bug reports channel.

I accidentally messaged a moderator once for the Author role, without having 20,000 words in my story. I missed the pin since there's ten or so to read through on each channel.

I apologized and apologized. The moderator I originally messaged forgave me, but some other moderator/ admin with some sort of vendetta kept bringing it up, how I missed the pin, how I wasted time, etc etc. 

From the outside in, the Discord is kind of unwelcoming. Maybe this is just me? I've seen other newbies join though and have similar issues. 

But again, this thread is related to a forum issue, not the Discord.

It is odd though being told to use Discord when you do have a forum that staff frequent, kind of defeats the purpose?
A live chat is generally a much easier place to ask questions and get answers without waiting hours for the other party to respond, if ever.

Also, the problem with Discourse is multiple-fold, mostly that we cannot easily change systems since the main site uses the same account data as the fictions, and trying to migrate the users / force them to re-register for the forum sounds like a sure-fire way to kill the forum completely. Plus, I generally find Discourse much harder to navigate and find things in.
(23-11-17, 02:17 PM)kanadaj Wrote: A live chat is generally a much easier place to ask questions and get answers without waiting hours for the other party to respond, if ever.

Also, the problem with Discourse is multiple-fold, mostly that we cannot easily change systems since the main site uses the same account data as the fictions, and trying to migrate the users / force them to re-register for the forum sounds like a sure-fire way to kill the forum completely. Plus, I generally find Discourse much harder to navigate and find things in.

I definitely didn't think about that.

So is there any light at the end of the tunnel? Or are we stuck with this slightly usable version of MyBB? Tongue

Making the main site use the same account data as the fictions probably sounded amazing at first, what functionality am I right? Hehe.

I also know that a live chat is generally easier, I just prefer things seeming more permanent than an instant messaging system. Don't get me wrong, I use Discord daily, I own several servers with hundreds of members and have been an administrator for a server with well over a thousand members, but nothing can replace a good old-fashioned forum.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned. 

I may eventually try to give your Discord a shot, probably when I get my Author role, but before that, I'll avoid it like the plague. Nothing personal, but again, so far no good experiences. 

I will say though, my time on RRL itself, and it's forum, I've enjoyed myself thoroughly. Minus the bug I'm reporting here of course.

What happens when you finally go to rework the forum? Any risk of losing fictions? Seriously, any risks at all?